• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Suppressed piston AR optimization

Near miss

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Apr 8, 2019
    Finland
    Hi,

Bought MR223 and the plan was from the beginning to make it suppressed and I recently added Ase Utra SL5 to it.

I chose the legacy version because it has better specs and I believe I can get the SL5 working.

Turned out it is not so easy, with the gas block set to suppressed it is quite nice and very quiet to shoot but I noticed some gas coming out of charging handle hole.

Previously I have only suppressed bolt and blowback-operated guns so this was much more complicated.

I have studied this problem and so far I have gathered some basics of how gas operated AR rifles actually work.

What are the best practices to solve this issue?

I started to think about modifying the lower.
    I read HK uses an 8 lb spring and a 5 oz buffer and I have been thinking whether upgrading either one of them would keep the bolt closed for a bit longer.

Is this the right way to do it?

I also thought of modding the forward assist so that there is some space in it to let gas out. It should help with normal suppressed shooting and even more if I am shooting hotter loads.
    Preferably some 0.17 surface cut along the length of the assist that touches the upper surface.

Attachments

• 20201203_214902.jpg
      20201203_214902.jpg
      901.2 KB · Views: 49
    Easiest mod I’ve found that works fantastic on my M18 is the Griffin SOB buffer. It tweaks the timing just enough that I don’t get gassed. And I can always easily swap back to factory if I ever want to with no permanent mods.

Reactions: Near miss