• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Suppressed Ruger 57 review-ish-thing

The King

Back to the Range
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Sep 17, 2004
    Florence, CO
    All, Some, You guys:

Recently got in a Ruger factory 57 suppressed barrel and decided to give it a whirl. The can in question is the Silencerco Sparrow.

I'll keep this short and sweet:

Good:
    1. It was reliable with 40GR vmax ammo and an RMR up top of the ruger.
    2. It was quiet enough to use without hearing protection.
    Bad:
    1. Ugh. The powder burns. It BURNS.
    2. See number one - factory FN 40gr ammo just HOSES you the fuck down with still burning powder.
    3. That shit is all over your face and eyebox area, and it don't take many rounds for your RMR to be totally fucking blacked out with carbon.
    Overall? I give it a NO. Which sucks because with a sparrow it was super workable in every other way but the leakage.

I would love to try it with a small 9mm can (and I will later) to see if that changes the backpressure equation.

Reactions: camocorvette
    This is unfortunate - a suppressed 5.7 pistol just seems right for so many reasons (which I will readily admit that I cannot articulate at this moment; it's more of a feeling or mood). What's available for recoil springs? That's not my favorite method of tuning, but the next steps (increasing slide mass or changing the unlock kinematics) get rather invasive.

I’m unsure.

With the RMR up there weight is pretty high for unlocking. I may put a Holosun 509t I think it is up there with it’s heavy ass adapter plate to try getting it to work.

You've also got the suppressor mass contributing to the unlocking equation, but I've heard others say that the unlocking kinematics of this firearm aren't much more sophisticated than simple blowback.

The RMR is barely more than an ounce. I was thinking something more along the lines of a few well-placed tungsten slugs.

You've also got the suppressor mass contributing to the unlocking equation, but I've heard others say that the unlocking kinematics of this firearm aren't much more sophisticated than simple blowback.

The RMR is barely more than an ounce. I was thinking something more along the lines of a few well-placed tungsten slugs.

What unlocking?

We're talking about a bottleneck 50ksi cartridge with NO body taper that is put into guns that use blowback to operate... Shoulder blows forward a variable .040-.100" on firing because the slide is moving while there's still enough pressure to obturate. I can understand how some retained pressure on the muzzle end could throw extra shit out of the breech.

I think the closest thing to a fix you're going to find is something like a flow-thru can or messing with recoil springs if it's possible at all.

ETA: @The King does your fired brass have primer flow/cratering?

Reactions: E. Bryant
    What unlocking?

We're talking about a bottleneck 50ksi cartridge with NO body taper that is put into guns that use blowback to operate... Shoulder blows forward a variable .040-.100" on firing because the slide is moving while there's still enough pressure to obturate. I can understand how some retained pressure on the muzzle end could throw extra shit out of the breech.

I think the closest thing to a fix you're going to find is something like a flow-thru can or messing with recoil springs if it's possible at all.

My bad. I just took a closer look at the barrel lug and interface to the slide, and yeah - there's really no locking occurring in this design (which can also be said of the FN Five Seven). Not sure it's the way I would have done things with a bottleneck 50k rifle cartridge, but Ruger has a successful gun business and I do not 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Ledzep
    All, Some, You guys:

Recently got in a Ruger factory 57 suppressed barrel and decided to give it a whirl. The can in question is the Silencerco Sparrow.

I'll keep this short and sweet:

Good:
    1. It was reliable with 40GR vmax ammo and an RMR up top of the ruger.
    2. It was quiet enough to use without hearing protection.
    Bad:
    1. Ugh. The powder burns. It BURNS.
    2. See number one - factory FN 40gr ammo just HOSES you the fuck down with still burning powder.
    3. That shit is all over your face and eyebox area, and it don't take many rounds for your RMR to be totally fucking blacked out with carbon.
    Overall? I give it a NO. Which sucks because with a sparrow it was super workable in every other way but the leakage.

I would love to try it with a small 9mm can (and I will later) to see if that changes the backpressure equation.
    That sucks, I've got one that's not threaded and was thinking it would really be a great suppressed little gun. Let us know if you are able to figure it out.

What unlocking?

The Ruger 57 is delayed blowback, not direct blowback like most rimfire pistols. Not locked as you said but it isn't uncorking at 50ksi either. For sure the .22LR can is making it much much worse.

@The King, the 5.7 has too much gas volume for a 22LR can. You need a centerfire pistol can but it has to have a booster since the barrel reciprocates. ECCO made a Ruge r57 specific can but I don't know if it went beyond prototype.

I used a Liberty Kodiak (22lr) suppressor on my FN and didn't have the gas in the face problems.

I wonder what the purpose of the hole is on the back of the slide? It doesn't look like blocking it would hinder function or disassembly.

The Ruger 57 is delayed blowback, not direct blowback like most rimfire pistols. Not locked as you said but it isn't uncorking at 50ksi either. For sure the .22LR can is making it much much worse.

@The King, the 5.7 has too much gas volume for a 22LR can. You need a centerfire pistol can but it has to have a booster since the barrel reciprocates. ECCO made a Ruge r57 specific can but I don't know if it went beyond prototype.
    I put a large volume center fire can on it. It didn’t reduce the issue in any way whatsoever. It also didn’t have a booster and the gun ran flawlessly.

However, it dumps 5 grains of still burning powder right into your face holes.

I put a large volume center fire can on it. It didn’t reduce the issue in any way whatsoever. It also didn’t have a booster and the gun ran flawlessly.

However, it dumps 5 grains of still burning powder right into your face holes.

A 57 bukkake?

• Haha
    Reactions: camocorvette
    Wonder how the HUXWRX Rad 22 would fare. I purchased the Ruger when it first came out along with 2K worth of ammo but got tired of waiting for a threaded barrel. It's a loud round and def needs a suppressor for any situation where hearing protection isn't plausible.

I'd like to see a threaded barrel for the FK Brno, especially now that the compact version is coming out. THAT would be fun.

Interesting that you still had issues with a rifle can.

I bought a 57 right after the release as a shop demo to develop cans for them.

Rimfire cans sorta work, but do tend to be high backpressure. Helluva lot more gas volume and pressure with 5.7x28.

The dedicated can, however, I built as a scaled-down centerfire rifle can, since that's what the 5.7x28 is, and can't say I've experienced the blowback issue with that. There's still a fair amount of port noise with these guns, but the ejecta was not a problem with FN or Federal ammunition.