• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Suppressed Shooting Tips?

PLeighton

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 25, 2007
NE North Carolina
www.l8ntactical.com
The purpose of this thread is to look for guidance on suppressor use and cleaning.
I was hoping to start this thread so that we could post up and golden nuggets of knowledge that you might come across.

After the typical 4 month wait, I have finally entered into the world of NFA toys.
I'm the proud owner of an SRT Typhoon 5.56mm can with the "Universal Mount" and a Krinker Plinker 10/22 SBR.
Since the Typhoon doesn't have any blind holes to clog up, I can safely run it on my .22lr guns as well.
(A few round of 5.56 NATO and any debris in the can is knocked loose and blown out.)
This is what drew me to it as my first suppressor purchase.

After having nearly a week to play with my new toys I have encountered several issues.
First of which is how to best clean the Flash Hider?
Any tricks?
Or is it just elbow grease with a wire brush and solvents?

Next questions is what additional cleaning steps do you do when using an AR rifle (Direct Impingement Gas System) and a can.
I was able to go through 500 rounds without any malfunctions before I cleaned the rifle for the first time.
Since there wasn't any lubricant left, everywhere there was carbon, it mostly wiped off clean with a rag.
The bolt was more carbon fouled that usual and required a lot of attention on the bolt face & locking lugs.

The other rifle I was using was the 10/22.
This on the other hand would become too fouled to function after 150 - 200 rounds.
Other than using a minimal amount of oil, does anyone have any tips for keeping a 10/22 running while suppressed?
The .22lr is so much fun to shoot with the can, but having to break it down and clean it that often is a drag.

Thanks for sharing whatever experiences you might have.

Cheers,

Dr. Phil

Re: Suppressed Shooting Tips?

Tried the spray on graphite stuff a while back before I got the can.
It didn't seem to work very well so I went back to oil.
Now I just put one drop of Miltec on my finger, wipe it on the bolt & reciever, and it has worked well without running supressed.

I'll try no lube tonight to see what I get.

Thanks

Re: Suppressed Shooting Tips?

No. DO WHAT I TELL YOU.

Graphite is a powder. It applies with a poof.
<span style="color: #33CC00">
MOLY is a powder</span>. It applies with a poof.
<span style="color: #33CC00">
Sentry solutions makes a powder</span>. I think they call it BP10. And it also applies with a poof.

Clean everything really good. Use alcohol just to make sure it's all clean and no oil. Then apply any of the three I mentioned WITH A FEW POOFS.

Do not run it dry. DO NOT SPRAY ANYTHING ON. Me thinks the two in green are the same thing...