• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressing GAP-10

Dutch405

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2010
Oklahoma
So I've been thinking about picking up a GAP-10 for pig/coyote hunting and I definitely plan on suppressing the rifle. Does anyone have any expierience with the Noveske switchblock on the GAP-10? I really want a GAP-10 but I don't want to have to worry about my rifle gunking up mid way through my hunt due to suppressor/DI system. Would I be better off sacrificing 1/4-1/2 MOA accuracy and going with LWRc's piston driven system? I know that this has been beaten to death (the whole piston vs DI thing) but it seems that now since George has began using a switchblock on his rifles it may keep the GAP-10 a bit cleaner.... I'm just a bit confused and wondering what I should do. Thank you very much for your time.
-Dutch

Re: Suppressing GAP-10

I have a GAP-10 in 6mm Creedmoor without a switchblock and have shot it suppressed. It does get dirty, but I've ran well over 300 rounds through it suppressed and haven't had any issues with it gunking up and not working.

With the switchblock you shouldn't have any issues, but frankly even without the switchblock you still won't have a problem. You just have to clean more often is all. Unless you're shooting more than several hundred rounds on a hunt, but in that case you have a whole set of other problems or else your one hell of a slayer lol...

Shooting suppressed in a gasser is going to get filthy period. And you'll need to lubricate the switchblock with something like a cleaner/penetrating oil if you've shot many rounds suppressed - or you will be a little frustrated trying to turn the switchblock.

I have a GAP10 in 6 Creedmoor with the switchblock. I've had the switchblock almost seize due to not using a little lubricant/penetrating oil after a decent number of rounds suppressed. Now after a session I just put a few drops and turn the knob and all is good.

Like Steelhead I've used my GAP 10 (pre-switchblock) suppressed at the range (just two weeks ago actually) where I've run a couple hundered rounds through it without issue. I do have the PRI adjustable gas block that I adjusted for the suppressor, which accomplishes the same thing as the switchblock, just not as conveniently.

I've not had a chance to shoot the LWRC, but I wouldn't trade my GAP 10 for anything. It's my favorite gun to shoot, especially suppressed, although it does take a while to get her nice and clean afterwards.

Man I love this place!! I've been thinking about this for over a week and I didn't want to post the question until I tried to research it as much as possible. I love the GAP-10 and this was the only thing holding me back. Thanks for the quick replies everyone.
-Dutch

Lessons learned from my AR10s:
1. Lube the bejesus out of the BCG.
2. A hydraulic buffer (available at Midway) will help with the overgassing. It does nothing to eliminate it, but helps with some of the negative effects.
3. Suppressors will make it run very, very dirty, no way around it.
4. Switchblocks do what they advertise, and do it well.

My GAP-10 shot fine without switch block suppressed, just dirty. I clean the hell out of BCG and lube after every range trip. I am having a JP adjustable block put on mine as they were not available when I bought it. If ordering new I would get the Noveske done in the build. You will love the GAP-10 suppressed, nice shooting guns for sure.