• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressing the M1A Rifle

Arc Light

Sheeple Herder
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 13, 2012
    Mountainside
    So now that I have experienced shooting suppressed, I want to suppress everything I own ;) I have two M1A's that I bought back in the 90's, a Scout model and a Super Match. I understand that the M1A was never designed to be suppressed, but I see plenty have done it. Some say it worked out great, others haven't been as happy. Have any of you guys done it successfully? Any tips you could share? I would start with my Scout model to see how it goes. From what I have read, I would need a muzzle thread adapter and possibly an adjustable gas plug. Anything else?

I briefly tried it when PA announced they would allow semi auto for deer, once they rescinded it I lost interest. The little bit of testing I did resulted in a bunch of gas to the face even with the gas set to the bare minimum for function using a SilencerCo Hybrid.

A can with better flow through could have better results but I abandoned the project and probably won’t pick it back up, not worth the investment to get it to kinda work right.

Reactions: Arc Light
    I briefly tried it when PA announced they would allow semi auto for deer, once they rescinded it I lost interest. The little bit of testing I did resulted in a bunch of gas to the face even with the gas set to the bare minimum for function using a SilencerCo Hybrid.

A can with better flow through could have better results but I abandoned the project and probably won’t pick it back up, not worth the investment to get it to kinda work right.
    Did you use an adjustable gas plug like the one made by Schuster?

Never done it, and I'm not sure how the muzzle adapter is made, but I would assume you'd need some castle nut pliers. There is a Schuster adjustable plug, like you mentioned, for regulating gas. Or you can just turn the gas off and have a single shot. Your gas piston and cylinder will probably need cleaning a little more often.

Did you use an adjustable gas plug like the one made by Schuster?
    Yup, ran it down until it wouldn’t eject and that was the only time I didn’t get gas, if it would cycle then I was getting gas blowback. That’s most of what I remember as it’s been 5 or 6 years since then.

The one I used had front sight block and I just swapped it over, pretty sure this is the one I used.

What about an OSS/Huxwrx can, or some other kind of flow through can? It seems like semi autos that are finicky about higher-back-pressure cans take to the flow through designs more readily.

I’ve been waiting on my permission slip to be approved for an OSS 762 can, so I don’t have any first hand knowledge, but they seemed promising enough to try.

Didn’t like it on mine. Too much blow back and crud in the action and magazine with a Gemtech can. Still have the adaptors laying around the bench someplace. PM me for info if you want them.

Yup, ran it down until it wouldn’t eject and that was the only time I didn’t get gas, if it would cycle then I was getting gas blowback. That’s most of what I remember as it’s been 5 or 6 years since then.
    If you still have the Schuster adjustable plug and want to sell it let me know.

I’ve done it without the Schuster. I got a Gaslock Front Sight made by SEI. Google .595x32 to 5/8x24 thread adapter M1A. Several places make them and they range in price from $30-$100; not sure why they should cost $100.

Most important thing is you need the shroud from a blank firing adapter kit. It will cut down on gas to the face, which is pretty bad.

This:

Plus this:

Or

Both need this:

Last edited:
    YHM makes an adapter for their cans that allows you to keep the front sight as well. The barrel has 3 grooves under that flash hider, so don’t go twisting it thinking it will come off. That castle but actually “pulls” the cage off as you loosen it.
    05FE3198-A4A6-45D0-A7C5-E470DB9C5C84.jpeg

What about an OSS/Huxwrx can, or some other kind of flow through can? It seems like semi autos that are finicky about higher-back-pressure cans take to the flow through designs more readily.

I’ve been waiting on my permission slip to be approved for an OSS 762 can, so I don’t have any first hand knowledge, but they seemed promising enough to try.
    You’re going to enjoy that can, I like mine besides the occasional flashiness.

Reactions: Coffee_and_Pipes
    Iirc oss just teased the new 7.62 flow at shot show. I'd definitely grab that.

^^^^^^^ Could not agree more. I’ve not see anything he did about suppressors specifically, but I haven’t see all of his stuff either. What I have seen and read of his is spot on and very informative.

Reactions: Gustav7
    I played around with suppressing the one I had (LRB M25). I used the DeltaP Designs adapter, I had to file down the edges of the slots a little as there was enough metal pushed up proud by the machining that it wouldn’t fit (Krieger CM barrel). Also used the Schuster adjustable gas plug. The original setting I had was nice and easy on the operating rod, the brass would land a few feet away at 3 o’clock. Biggest issue I had was with the scope rail on the M25, I would get brass caught between the op rod handle and the scope rings. Even upping the gas flow didn’t solve the problem, likely needed a small deflector on the mount or Ring to stop it from happening. Sold the rifle a few years ago so never resolved the issue.