• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressing the M1A1

[email protected]

Private
Minuteman
May 23, 2011
Hi all, new member here and love the amount of information being shared here. Thanks to you all.

Being suppressors in Washington State will finally be legal to not only own but to attach and shoot in July this year, I want to suppress my National Match Springfield M1A1.

I am leaning towards the Surefire brand looking at both the FA762K, and the FA762SS. Is there a decibel advantage to either that anyone knows of. As weight and added length are both negligible , and both meet my quick attach requirement and zero point shift, just would like to hear any experiences or recommendations any of you have.

Also I have heard that suppressing the M1A1 may cause a face full of blow back and you may negate this effect by installing a breech blow back shield. Have also heard that installing the shield may cause reliability issues with cycling.

Are any of you running with or had experience with this set up?

Thanks, Jim

Re: Suppressing the M1A1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flaker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also I have heard that suppressing the M1A1 may cause a face full of blow back and you may negate this effect by installing a breech blow back shield. Have also heard that installing the shield may cause reliability issues with cycling.
</div></div>

If you use subsonic ammunition, the bolt will not cycle so you won't get any gas blowback. Otherwise, there will be blowback. The effect of that can be minimized by installing a scope mount (might as well scope the rifle then) or a M3 breech shield on the receiver. I've done both with my suppressed SA, Inc. M1A and the result was satisfactory in each case. The M3 breech shield itself does not affect operation of the gas system.

About any decent 45 cal pistol suppressor will do the trick, given that the M1A1 is a Thompson submachine gun.

m1a1thom.jpg

_9H,

LOL, I didnt even realize that I was typing that, but I was consistant throughout the post. Correction M1A.

Different,

Will be installing a scope, probably the new offering from SWFA as its to good a deal to pass up. Thanks for your input. Which can did you use?

Jim

Problem with suppressing the M1a is that you are a slave to the crappy castle nut threads. One option is a thread adapter. Another option, the one I went with is to attach a vortex flash suppressor and use the fisher suppressor which attaches directly to the vortex.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flaker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Different,

Will be installing a scope, probably the new offering from SWFA as its to good a deal to pass up. Thanks for your input. Which can did you use?

Jim </div></div>

SEI/Fisher Enterprises M14DC sound suppressor