• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Suppressor 5.56 .22LR Battle Comp

wigwamitus

Strictly Offensive Kit
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2014
LBJ
Working through decision process for first suppressor, advice welcome!

Use case: Hunting hogs or coyotes at night with 5.56 in small group, all others have suppressors. Re-stated, shooting standing un-supported under 200yds, mostly under 100yds at night. Second use case is practice with .22LR doing 100yds or less, standing un-supported, target shooting at night. The 5.56 upper is 14.5 inch barrel with 1.5 BC pinned and welded, which I'ld like to keep if possible.

Here is where I've gotten to:

I had liberty torch qa and gmt 556 LE on the list, but removed them as they are direct attach which doesn't align with moving suppressor over to .22LR upper and back to 5.56 upper. They would have to be pinned/welded to 14.5 inch 5.56 unless I SBR it, which I'd rather not do.

The Griffin M4SDK or M4SD II seem to "maybe" be able to fit on the BC 1.5, have reached out to BC to see what they say.

I think my priorities are cost and weight and those are the two factors I've included in my "score". There will be at least a thermal clipon (1.5 lbs), dvr(3.5oz)) and an eotech(8.0 oz) on the top of the rifle and a laser-max aiming laser (0.9 oz) on the front side.

So questions:

01 - Am I missing any suppressors that I should add to my list?

02 - Is there any suppressor that will attach to a BC 1.5?

Added Griffin M4SDK, though “Recce 5” seems better fit for my purposes. Also corresponded with SAS who confirmed they have nothing that will mount to an A2 FH. Also, reading Battle Comp website more carefully and also reading older forum posts more carefully, it looks like the Battle Comp 2.0 was specifically designed to match the A2 dimensions for the purpose of mounting those few suppressors which do fit on a2 fh. One Griffin and one AAC are specially mentioned. However, this does not help me and does finally prove for me that there are no options for me for the BC 1.5. The issue is that the BC 1.5 is a different length than the BC 2.0 and hence too long for a suppressor that will fit on an a2 FH. So while there are suppressors that will mount on an a2 FH, that doesn’t help me for the 5.56 rifle I have. It might help for the .22lr upper I have, which at least has an a2 looking fh on the front. One of the Griffin compensators looks just like a BC, but it is probably too short for me to put on the front of the 14.5 barrel and still be not an NFA item, so if I go with a Griffin, then I would have to use their proprietary muzzle device. I will probably remove the M4SDK entry as the extra cost and reduced db do not make sense.
Right now, I like the light weight of the Griffin Recce 5, but continuing to look. The only competition, on my list, in the weight department is the SOCOM 556 Mini, but that on is at the high end of the cost curve.

Three people I know have YH 5.56 titanian suppressor and like them, so I was thinking of going with that option. But I first wanted to validate which muzzle device to go with and whether it was long enough to perm attach to my 14.5 BCM upper and still leave it as "non an NFA item". So I called YH and to my surprise they said they don't recommend perm attaching their muzzle devices and that if you did, you would void the warranty. So, I'm thinking, unfortunately, this is a show stopper for me.
Griffin stuff "looks" nice, but is pretty new and I haven't been able to find enough reviews yet.
SOCOM mini winds up being danged expensive after adding on two $115 muzzle devices, one each for 5.56 and .22LR rifles.
I'd like to get something on the lighter side because use case involves mostly shooting standing un-supported.

So look like the search needs to continue for other candidates.

The one key item that you don't have listed in your comparison: user serviceability/breakdown. If you're shooting any significant amount of 22LR, you're going to want a can that disassembles easily for cleaning. I've yet to find a simple solution that can cover both 5.56 and 22LR.

Good point. I've been told that shooting the 5.56 will do a lot of clean out after shooting the .22LR, so that is Plan A.
I shoot about 1,500 rounds of .22LR per year and the use of a suppressor is completely optional. If 5.56 cleaning doesn't actually work, plan B will be to avoid using suppressor on .22LR. I use subsonic with the .22LR it is pretty quiet already. Quiet enough for night practice around where I am (rural Kansas) without a suppressor.

Heard from Griffin and SilencerCo. They both support perm attaching of muzzle devices. My local Class III dealer also called YH and they re-confirmed they do not support perm attaching their md and that it will void the suppressor warranty. So, from my short list of those three, I guess YH are ruling themselves out, leaving Griffin and SC.
The Recce 5 is lighter and shorter, but a little more expensive. The SC Spec War is the longest and heavier on the list, but is the cheapest. You can't have everything. My main concern with the Griffin is that it is newer and I haven't been able to find much experiential data on it. Another plus for the Spec War is I've heard lots of positive feedback on how rugged it is. My trust won't be done for about another week, so I still have a few more days to gather data.

Here's the current list:

So top three are the "short list" and these include:

Griffin Recce 5
Yankee Hill 5.56 titanium break attach
SC Specwar

The trade-offs:

Griffin is the lightest and in the middle on cost. But it is a fairly new product.

YH call to them indicates their warranty will not apply if their muzzle device is perm attached. I want to perm attach the muzzle device to keep the 5.56 14.5 inch barrel a non-NFA item.
I considered further cutting down the barrel and also SBRing it. But would rather not do that now. I want the 14.5 ballistics and don't want to spend more $$ on this.
Void of warranty is a show stopper for the YH entry for me.

SC Spec War. The cheapest, but also the heaviest and longest. Both Spec War and Griffin say they are "full auto" rated. I'm not planning on any FA, but I interpret FA rating to mean it can take more punishment, which is a good thing.

So, once my trust is done in a few days, I'll need to flip a coin and decide, Recce 5 or Spec War. I guess either will work. It is "known entity" and "lower price", versus "lighter" and "shorter".

My paperwork is finally in the mail to the ATF, the wait begins. I counting on May 2015 and hoping for March 2015.

I went with the SPECWAR 5.56. It was the lowest cost, but it was also the heaviest.

YHM ruled themselves out with the warranty voiding policy for perm attached muzzle devices.

Griffin ruled themselves out by being difficult to contact and get questions answered.

==

My next suppressor will be thunderbeast for .338 and .308.