• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Suppressor accuracy expectiations

mgd45

Private
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2008
Ga.
Guys, I have no experience with suppressors, so I'm hoping you might be able to answer a question. I just finished up another Sniper training class & one of my classmates was issued a rifle from his Dept. that was made by Iron Brigade Armory. It came with a Surefire Suppressor & the attachment to his barrel.

When he was asked by the class about how he liked shooting the suppressor on the gun, he balked and stated, "that suppressor is the biggest piece of shit & waste of money." He related that he can't hold a group with it any better than 2 inches at 100 yards, & it continually changes POI each time it's attached & it's not consistent or repeatable.

I watched him shoot during the class, & he can shoot very well. Consistently shot 1/4 to 3/4 inch groups all day long. So I don't think it's his lack of skill.....

I told him that he ought to contact Surefire....I would imagine that it should be better than that & they might replace it. Or is 2 inch groups acceptable with a suppressor....?

Re: Suppressor accuracy expectiations

No that isn't acceptable. My gun can shoot 1/4 MOA with the suppressor and with out. Harmonics may be a factor.

My TRG 22 and a Noveske barreled AR10 both shoot a mite better with a suppressor, AAC Cyclone and both are easy 1/2 MOA rifle's without. I'm with NP that is not acceptable.

Id question a few things.

1) His ammo, shooting a hot round (assuming its a handload) or custom load with the addition of a can.... it can really throw your accuracy off.

2) is the muzzle device installed correctly? is it in line with the bore?

3) Bedding, hang weight off the barrel and your harmonics change. But a SF is very lightweight. My 762SS shoots lights out on my Gladius build from GAP.

Your groups should tighten up with the suppressor. I am still waiting on some surefire cans to test, but I've seen great results with the Cyclone

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KaneK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your groups should tighten up with the suppressor. </div></div>

+1

This has been my experience with my .30 caliber SEI/fisher can on M14s, 7.62 AKM and AR-100

Well, I know he isn't a reloader, so he ain't putting anything down the barrel other than his duty ammo.....I too questioned him on the installation of the Surefire attachment to the barrel, but then again without the suppressor on, he still shot great groups.

He is the first Officer to be issued the suppressor, so it was ordered & came to him in new condition....so I guess that settles the question of being too worn out. He is going to ask his Dept. to send it back.....

Thanks for the input....

Make sure you hold the rifle the same as shooting unsuppressed.

I notice that people get a little lazy on the fundamentals of shooting when suppressed.

Hold the gun like your going to feel the kick..voila the accuracy returns

My groups seem to get a little bit smaller with the can attached. Surefire 762K on a remy 700

I sent you my contact info can you have the officer contact me?

Thanks,

Chuck

I currently run an AAC Cyclone on my GAP rifle and did notice a tightening of my shot pattern. There was a big POI change when the suppressor comes off but it is repeatable. It shifts straight up about 3-3.5 inches without the suppressor. In all honesty I am not taking of the suppressor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pharm762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I currently run an AAC Cyclone on my GAP rifle and did notice a tightening of my shot pattern. There was a big POI change when the suppressor comes off but it is repeatable. It shifts straight up about 3-3.5 inches without the suppressor. In all honesty I am not taking of the suppressor. </div></div> My groups are about the same too I think I will have to work up a new load

I noticed POI changes for sure but not group size? Im getting a 3 minute lower POI difference @ 1,000 yards when changing form muzzlbreak to suppressor. Im told lower POI is par for the course with a supprsr on.