• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressor adapters on precision rifles

Andy T

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2007
Northeast
For context, this is for precision bolt rifles.
I was talking to a gunsmith about the installation of SF Warcomp that will be used as a mount for SF suppressor. He recommended against using rocksett because the crown gets dirt and needs cleaning, especially when firing suppressed.
He used some blue loctite and tightened it up. Is this a typical guideline? Do people check the tightness of the muzzle device before attaching a supressor. Any other thoughts?
For reference, the smith is also a competitive PRS shooter.

I’ve always used rocksett on my muzzle devices with no issue. It’s not permanent if you decide you can’t properly clean your rifle. Easy to remove with hot water.

Doesn’t the blue loctite only need about 250F temps to loosen? Shouldn’t be an issue if properly torqued but would the benefits of using it be negated due to the temps suppressors can get after a string or two of fire?

Not saying it doesn’t work, just thinking out loud as I have always used the rocksett.

Try blue loctite and see if it works for your purposes.

I personally use red loctite. Works fine, and can still be removed if needed.

I install with blue loctite on bolt guns. I do remove and clean the crown every so often. Never had an issue with one loosening. I used the same method for installing brakes for years before moving to suppressors

I install with blue loctite on bolt guns. I do remove and clean the crown every so often. Never had an issue with one loosening. I used the same method for installing brakes for years before moving to suppressors
Gotcha, didn’t think it would but since I never use it on anything that gets hot I was curious if getting your suppressor hot and then taking it off would be more prone to taking the muzzle device with it. I’ve basically used blue loctite for bolts in the shop and rocksett for my rifles.

Gotcha, didn’t think it would but since I never use it on anything that gets hot I was curious if getting your suppressor hot and then taking it off would be more prone to taking the muzzle device with it. I’ve basically used blue loctite for bolts in the shop and rocksett for my rifles.
If you wrench the device on but hand tighten the can you’ll be fine. If you carbon lock the can or have to wrench it off then yes it will come off. Loctite keeps it from walking off but can still loosen with a wrench

I’ve run the same on my SBR without issue. But you will bake the loctite there so rocksett is probably a better idea for semis

Reactions: jb0311
Blue is good to 300 deg. Never had a mount come off and id be surprised if ive ever gotten the muzzle device to 300 deg, probably more like half that.

Reactions: Baron23 and jb0311
Blue is good to 300 deg. Never had a mount come off and id be surprised if ive ever gotten the muzzle device to 300 deg, probably more like half that.
Gotcha, I remember seeing the 250 but must have been Celcius if that's the case. Either way i'm sure a properly torqued device is good to go. I never remembered having an issue before using rocksett but just use it for the insurance.

If you wrench the device on but hand tighten the can you’ll be fine. If you carbon lock the can or have to wrench it off then yes it will come off. Loctite keeps it from walking off but can still loosen with a wrench

I’ve run the same on my SBR without issue. But you will bake the loctite there so rocksett is probably a better idea for semis
Makes sense. Most of my shooting in the past has been semis run pretty hard. Like you said, never had an issue torquing everything but the suppressor on.

Doesn’t the blue loctite only need about 250F temps to loosen? Shouldn’t be an issue if properly torqued but would the benefits of using it be negated due to the temps suppressors can get after a string or two of fire?

Not saying it doesn’t work, just thinking out loud as I have always used the rocksett.
It depends on which of the 6 or 8 different blue loctites you use. I think when people say they used blue loctite they generally mean 242 blue. It is not a high temp version like some of the 600 series red loctites are.

Reactions: jb0311
It depends on which of the 6 or 8 different blue loctites you use. I think when people say they used blue loctite they generally mean 242 blue. It is not a high temp version like some of the 600 series red loctites are.
Yeah i have trouble keeping up with what loctite is what to be honest. I just know the Rocksett is something crazy like -300 to 2000-ish degrees F so that's what i've always used for firearms. I've basically used the blue loctite (probably 242) on bolts that are on machinery that like to vibrate loose.

After seeing TBAC recommend high-temp red loctite that's what I've been using. Never had an issue with a muzzle device coming loose. Can still be removed using some heat from a propane torch if needed.

Reactions: kthomas
Rocksett is easy. If you do it right.
Just takes one drop, torque it on nice and tight and let it sit a day to set. It’ll stay stuck when it’s hot but when you go to take it off you just use good torque or a light tap with a hammer to break it free.
If you soak the threads full in rocksett it’s a bitch as you basically concrete it on.

A little goes a long ways.

Reactions: Average guy
Aren't you supposed to clean the mounts (mine is a brake) ?

Wouldn't roksett, loctite kinda be a pita for that. Was gonna switch to flash hider so I didn't have to realign every cleaning.

I've always torqued mine to 35 ft lbs and had no issues

Rocksett is easy. If you do it right.
Just takes one drop, torque it on nice and tight and let it sit a day to set. It’ll stay stuck when it’s hot but when you go to take it off you just use good torque or a light tap with a hammer to break it free.
If you soak the threads full in rocksett it’s a bitch as you basically concrete it on.

A little goes a long ways.
So, actually if you just boil the muzzle device in a pot of water it will turn right off regardless how much rocksett you use. I coat the hell out of mine, never had an issue with removal doing this method. An added benefit is the conversation you have with your wife trying to explain when there is a pot of water on the stove with an ar15 sticking out of it.

Reactions: jb0311 and Faronth