• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressor and accuracy

Alderleet

NCOIC of Shitposts
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2010
Downrange
While i was perusing random threads here on the Hide, i stumbled upon a question from the centerfire big brothers.

With a suppressed centerfire rifle, the velocity of the round increases a little, and the accuracy doesnt degrade at all (infact, it quite often gets a little better)

However, does the same thing happen in 22lr rimfire?

Will a suppressed 22lr group a bit better than a non-supressed, or is it essentially a non-issue?

Re: Suppressor and accuracy

there should be no difference, good or bad on the group size. I was under the impression the POI might change, but not the actual size of the groups. Makes sense when you think about it if the suppressor is adding velocity, the POI will shift but still group the same.

savvy what sort of barrel you hang the can on.....if a supported barrel (read a fixed barrel)....one should not expect any poa/poi shift

...i never chrono'd my .22 stuff.....so no intel there

my understanding with regards to center fire is that it does not make it more accurate but greater accuracy is sometimes gained due to less felt recoil but i have no idea if this is true or not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Here2Learn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my understanding with regards to center fire is that it does not make it more accurate but greater accuracy is sometimes gained due to less felt recoil but i have no idea if this is true or not. </div></div>

depends...........

i go one rifle at the end of its barrel life....still shoots sub moa, but it must be really fouled,,,,,,then i jock up a can on the barrel and ....shaZam i'm doing bungholes..........so yeah there is less perceived recoil and all that....but one must drive the gun correctly in the first place.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ....shaZam i'm doing bungholes.......... </div></div>

I hope you meant bugholes..... Not that there's anything wrong with that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GardDog223</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ....shaZam i'm doing bungholes.......... </div></div>

I hope you meant bugholes..... Not that there's anything wrong with that.</div></div>

Now we know what the French Trickler option on his Prometheus is for.

I've been researching suppressors lately and it seems like there's little talk about them for .22 rifles, typically pistols only, why is that.

more of a market for the pistols, more people have them. there is also the additional "zombie" crowd as of late that thinks they need to buy surpressed 22 pistols to defend against the zombie horde.

These are adults by the way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GardDog223</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ....shaZam i'm doing bungholes.......... </div></div>

I hope you meant bugholes..... Not that there's anything wrong with that. </div></div>

gotta wonder?

I can only give experience with a YHM mite. On my already very accurate bolt rimfires I cannot tell any accuracy difference. On my Nordic NC22 AR upper it did tighten groups. Noticeable but not ground breaking. I have had no POI changes like I see in my centerfire suppressed rifles. The thing that helps accuracy in a higher velocity centerfire is the mitigation of discharge gases that disrupt bullet flight at the muzzle (from what I read....I am no physicist). That may not be as big of a factor at rimfire subsonic velocity.

I noticed a slight increase in accuracy on my CZ 452 w/can. I know that the rimfire benchrest fella's use "harmonic balancers" on the muzzles of their rifles sometimes. So putting a can on a rifle can change the harmonics to the better. Browning uses the BOSS and accomplishes the same purpose. As usual it depends.

I've got a Sako Quad and running an SWR Spectre on it doesn't affect accuracy at all. That said, I've not shot it unsuppressed in over two years - once you have the can, I don't see the point in wearing earplugs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hatidua</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got a Sako Quad and running an SWR Spectre on it doesn't affect accuracy at all. That said, I've not shot it unsuppressed in over two years - once you have the can, I don't see the point in wearing earplugs. </div></div>
Me either... of course the guy to your left shooting an unsuppressed .338 could be a reason!!

J/K... I'm 3 weeks into my wait for my Tax Stamp on my first suppressor... work it baby!!