• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Suppressor and Accuracy

ZeroedForImpact

Private
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2011
U.S.
I heard that using a suppressor has a negative effect on accuracy when it comes to long range shots; +500 yds, is this true and if so how much does it really effect the impact point?
Also, what about shorter distances, how does a suppressor factor in there?

Thanks,

Re: Suppressor and Accuracy

No, Yes, Maybe? Not all suppressors are alike. For the most part, you will get a little more velocity out of using a suppressor. Groups are often tightened with the use of a quality suppressor. Thread on is usually more accurate than quick connect.

Add that to the reduced recoil and your follow up shots are usually more accurate with the use of a suppressor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jason Hathcock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I heard that using a suppressor has a negative effect on accuracy when it comes to long range shots;
Thanks, </div></div>
Not true... if you get a good can!!!

My .22 seemed to tighten up considerably with a can on it but that's just anecdotal evidence, I didn't document it scientifically.

I read a (old) pretty decent article that detailed the differences in velocities, audible DB's and accuracy of several suppressors. While it may not be quite what you're looking for, it demonstrates the fact that not all ammo/cans/rifles will perform equally.

http://www.advanced-armament.com/pdf/articles/phnxrif0802.pdf

Nonsense. Whoever told you that either doesn't own a suppressor, has never fired it at long ranges, or didn't properly analyze the results when they did.

A suppressor does not change the laws of physics. By the time it's gone 20 yards, there is nothing in the flight characteristics of a bullet that would indicate whether it was fired from a suppressed weapon or not. And there isn't an extra set of physics that only takes effect after the bullet has flown 500 yards. From bang to splat, the science doesn't change, unless of course you run into that pesky transonic thing.

A properly designed and mounted suppressor will have no negative effect on the accuracy of the firearm. In fact, the opposite tends to be true because suppressors strip off the high velocity propellant gases that normally would rush past the bullet as it exits the muzzle. Without a suppressor, these gases will overtake and sweep past the bullet. If they act on the bullet irregularly as they pass, they can impart a slight yawing which will influence trajectory. A suppressor will reduce or eliminate this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jason Hathcock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I heard that using a suppressor has a negative effect on accuracy when it comes to long range shots; +500 yds, is this true and if so how much does it really effect the impact point?
Also, what about shorter distances, how does a suppressor factor in there?

Thanks, </div></div>

Xbox games are not a good source of info on suppresors.

I have been building a tone of DOPE on this

My results are

data for 175 SMK 200 yds zero
data for 175 SMK suppressed 200yd zero
data for 178 AMAX Subsonic suppressed 50yd zero

lots of shooting lots of data to record

Major difference in cold bore shot

My rifle is 16.5 pounds 18.5 with the can attached hanging 2 pounds off the end of your barrel will change the harmonics and other things

Under the chrono I get a 50FPS increase in the 175 SMK at 2599 FPS but using the can I'm 2" low and 2.5" right on my cold bore shot suppressed

Then I'm still 2" low at 100 with a 200yd zero only thing I can figure that with the extra weight the gun moves less and the barrel has different harmonics.

The gun still shots one hole suppressed or unsuppressed but in a lot different spot. Thanks to lots of practice and good recording keeping its not an issue I just dial the correct DOPE before I shoot and always reset to my primary zero when I finish

hope that helps

The round impacts low with the suppressor attached because you have a big weight attached to the end of your barrel pulling it down. As long as everything is consistant you are good to go.

You have to rezero your rifle if you have a shift... especially 2", it's a simple process a zero with the can and a separate zero without. The only change to the dope is the 50fps increase in velocity. <span style="font-style: italic">(which is a bit high, I would find your chronograph a bit suspect)</span>

To say you have a lot of data on it, then post the details you have, I would think you don't really understand the concepts behind this... like why bother with a 200 yard zero with a modern scope, that is just one example. The other, if your zero is 2" it will be off 2" every where unless you rezero the rifle.

Now, if your Cold Bore with the suppressor is 2" X 2" off and then your groups are right back to center, you have an issue, either with you or the can but an issue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You have to rezero your rifle if you have a shift... especially 2", it's a simple process a zero with the can and a separate zero without. The only change to the dope is the 50fps increase in velocity. <span style="font-style: italic">(which is a bit high, I would find your chronograph a bit suspect)</span>

To say you have a lot of data on it, then post the details you have, I would think you don't really understand the concepts behind this... like why bother with a 200 yard zero with a modern scope, that is just one example. The other, if your zero is 2" it will be off 2" every where unless you rezero the rifle.

Now, if your Cold Bore with the suppressor is 2" X 2" off and then your groups are right back to center, you have an issue, either with you or the can but an issue. </div></div>

I said I'm building a lot of data not that I have a ton its only been about 200 round and 5-10 coldbore shots with and with out.

I have a 200yd zero since that's what I shoot at 99% of the time if i shot at 100yds I'd have a 100yd zero. I guess I'm confused by your answer? I'd love to hear your info since you have way more trigger time behind a lot more guns and cans.

My response was no matter what you run gun and can there will be a difference in accuracy with and with out the can so he needs to gather data on both not just say that a can effects accuracy?

Not trying to be defensive just trying to learn from experience

Man i must be lucky, or good, but likely just lucky. I just got my can a few couple weeks ago now, and I never re-zeroed after mounting the can. There's no shift...at all. I never changed my turrets on my Mk4-m3 between my normal zero, and the zero with the can on. Also, there's no shift with cold bore, and very little shift with CCB, and that's only the first shot. I only cleaned about every 500 rounds before the can, now I have to see where my accuracy drops off before it needs to get cleaned.

The can is a SWR Omega 30 thread mounted on a Savage 10 w/ Mcgowan 20" barrel.

Branden

What matters:
1) quality of suppressor
2) accuracy of the shooter

Thanks everyone for setting things straight for me.