• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressor Barrel Alignment, how concentric does it need to be?

redhead522

Private
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2010
Hello everyone,

My HUXWRX 7.62 Ti finally got approved. Checking the alignment for one of my guns with a Geissele alignment rod, it seems very questionable.

Technically it's not touching the edge but it's far from centered. How centered does the rod need to be to avoid any issues?

I don't want to damage the suppressor I waited 9 1/2 months for.

Attachments

• 20230531_231935.jpg
    20230531_231935.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 76
Do these alignment rods fit nice and snug in the bore or is there some wobble? I haven't used one. I just visually look down the bore with a light in the breech. It's obvious if it's centered with just a visual inspection. I have seen one that wasn't centered and was causing end cap strikes and that was also very easy to see with just a visual inspection.

Do these alignment rods fit nice and snug in the bore or is there some wobble? I haven't used one. I just visually look down the bore with a light in the breech. It's obvious if it's centered with just a visual inspection. I have seen one that wasn't centered and was causing end cap strikes and that was also very easy to see with just a visual inspection.
It's nice and snug and appears to be visually good, thanks.

I have one can that looks like your picture. The rest are basically centered up. It's a .30 cal can and accuracy does suffer when shooting anything .30 cal, .264 and .223 shoot fine. It turned my .75" groups into 1.5" shooting my 308 bolt gun.

Reactions: redhead522
I guess I've been lucky. I've shot with crush washers for years without an issue. Even shot a few prs matches that way without issue. If the ID of the crush washer is very close to the od of the landing behind the threads, and the washer is oriented correctly, I don't even know how a misalignment is possible. It literally forces it to the center.

Reactions: 338dude
I guess I've been lucky. I've shot with crush washers for years without an issue. Even shot a few prs matches that way without issue. If the ID of the crush washer is very close to the od of the landing behind the threads, and the washer is oriented correctly, I don't even know how a misalignment is possible. It literally forces it to the center.

I just watched a baffle strike happen on a 22 on Wednesday night from a misalignment with a crush washer. 🙃 I've always followed the no crush washer rule personally and I believe it is one of those situations where it's not impossible to use a crush washer correctly, it's just that it is really easy to use it incorrectly, if that makes sense.

Literally every supressor mfr I know if will tell you not to use crush washers

Reactions: alamo5000
I think the Huxwrx muzzle devices (flash hider and brake) don't need to be timed, so you shouldn't even need a washer.

Otherwise I use the TBAC peel washers or a muzzle shim kit.

Reactions: msgriff
It's good to remember that "crush washers" are not the same as "peel washers". I'll admit to getting the two names confused on occasion.

Hard to tell for certain due to the angle of your pic, but I would not shoot that. Alignment rods are smaller in diameter than the projectile.

edited: sp

Last edited:
Reactions: redhead522
Here's some bad threads I encountered. Only about .0025" out.
IMG_20221126_163719958_HDR.jpg
IMG_20221126_162904279_HDR.jpg
After indicating to zero and recutting.
IMG_20221126_171649835_HDR.jpg

So a little out goes a long way.