• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Suppressor/Barrel questions for the gurus

riley5001

Private
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2008
Ms.
In reading the posts it seems several of you have a great deal of knowledge., so I hope you can help me with my question. I have a 27" barrel that is .850 dia. at the muzzle and currently has a holland muzzle brake. At the present time it shoots .25 moa out to 300 yds (as long as I do my job) and .50 beyond that to 750. NOW my question is, I am getting ready to send the gun to the gunsmith to rethread it for a QD flash hider. Will the 27" barrel be too long to hang a suppressor on? will barrel heat and weight of suppressor cause accuracy issues? Should I have it shortened, if so to what length. I really don't want it shortened unless it's going to be a problem. Is anyone else shooting with a long barrel without problems. My suppressor should be in within the next 1-2 months and I want to be ready. any help from you guys would be helpful. THANKS

Re: Suppressor/Barrel questions for the gurus

your stick may exhibit a shift in POA/POI with the can on.....maybe not....

leave the barrel length alone

If you are planning on running sub loads through it I would shorten the barrel...just one opinion

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Malaga2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are planning on running sub loads through it I would shorten the barrel...just one opinion</div></div>

why?

the 27" barrel while helping with supersonic velocities serves to slow subsonic rounds to the point that it becomes more probable of a bullet lodged in the barrel...or the can. It requires more from the reloader to get the load right...

Good question...I assumed (Iknow I shouldnt do that) that this was a 308...27" w/muzzle break possibly not and that would entirely fuck with my advice...time for a beer...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Malaga2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good question...I assumed (Iknow I shouldnt do that) that this was a 308...27" w/muzzle break possibly not and that would entirely fuck with my advice...time for a beer... </div></div>
You are correct it is a .308. I should have put that in the first time.

I had a 27" .308 ...once--- I wouldn't have one over 22" now... absolutely no reason to have all that tube hanging out there, especially if you are going to hang a can on it.

i would agree with Jamison, have it chopped by the smith you are sending it to

mine is 18.5" with a AAC can , no issues to 900 so far

my buddies is 18.5" as well, Yankee hill machine can, and its just as accurate and very little velocity loss, maybe like 35 fps or so, from his original 24" barrel

seems weird but yet its true

This is correct and I wouldnt shoot subsonics in a barrel that long. EBR says not to shoot their ammo in barrels over 20 inches long. I have done it in my 24 inch barrel but it "feels" really weak like the bullet is barely clearing the barrel and can. I only use subs in my 20 inch guns now. Remember it needs velocity enough to not only leave the barrel and can but to stabilize as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LRange</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is correct and I wouldnt shoot subsonics in a barrel that long. EBR says not to shoot their ammo in barrels over 20 inches long. I have done it in my 24 inch barrel but it "feels" really weak like the bullet is barely clearing the barrel and can. I only use subs in my 20 inch guns now. Remember it needs velocity enough to not only leave the barrel and can but to stabilize as well.</div></div>

....feels really weak ??????.....is that what the chronos are saying these days..........OMFG !

Contact the can manufacturer, they should know best what works and what does not