• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Suppressor Choice!!!

ejd049

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2007
Ft Worth, Texas
I am getting my first suppressor and want the best for the money. I am going to put it on a .223 Rem 700 and a AR15. Can I get some input on the following?
Thanks

AAC
Ranger 2
M4 1000

YHM
SS Phantom
Phantom

Re: Suppressor Choice!!!

Ops Inc!
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The best isn't even on there- Shark! </div></div>

If you got the scratch, I will admit they do make one quiet can...

I've been happy with my SAS, but haven't really shot it much, no more than 200 rounds through it yet.

i spied a Shark in .223 that David let me fondle.....and it will hold up to constant duty IIRC......

One more Vote for the Shark I saw the Hammerhead run in full auto at Thunder Valley earler in the year very quiet. Thats going to be my next suppressor. Just my .02

We were at Rifle's Only shooting a small target at 730 yards. I was dead on with my 260 Rem with my muzzle brake screwed on. For kicks, we unscrewed the brake and put on Brian's (427Cobra) Shark can. I fired 2 more rounds dead center on the plate. There was ZERO shift in impact at 730 yards. With this performance, and being the quietest in side by side comparisons- I'm sold!

On a long range precision rig, a consistent zero shift would be worth more to me than a few extra decibels of suppression. But, I've never seen any kind of testing that shows a particular can offers that on multiple setups. Everyone seems to be focused on suppression level at the expense of everything else. I can understand that on a pistol, carbine or rimfire... but a long range rig is never going to be pelletgun quite and small things get amplified at longer distances. There are more important considerations than having the highest level of suppresion IMO.

It would be cool to have something similar to that silencer shoot where you could try different cans at long range on your own rifle and see how they affect its performance... try taking them on and off a few times to see how repeatable the POI shift is, and how small it is.

Thanks for all the insight on this. The four choice are basically what my dealer has and in my budget, for now. I will check out the ones mentioned above and get another in the near future.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i spied a Shark in .223 that David let me fondle.....and it will hold up to constant duty IIRC...... </div></div>

I believe you are talking about the Shark Hammerhead..
smile.gif
Here ya go, my vid from the TVP Suppressor shoot..
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PUjacEAdqbk"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PUjacEAdqbk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I picked up a one of David's Shark cans last week...after 20 rounds through it, the fella shooting seven targets down asked me what kind of Ruger conversion I was running. I looked at him, confused, and told him it was a .308(R700 SPS tactical in a McRees Precision stock). He didn't believe it, insisting it had to be a .22mag.

smile.gif

And I prefer the TI over steel for reasons of corrosion resistance. When you shoot, the can gets hot. When the can cools, water condenses, even in the high desert plains of West Texas. Water on steel will cause rust, no matter what you do. If the can is welded together, then there's really no way to get all the water out. A can built from TI will not rust, and add to it that Shark cans are meant to be easily disassembled for cleaning, and you've got a product that'll keep my attention. The one downside is the price compared to other manufacturers, but for since I had to spend the $200 for the ATF permission, I figured I'd rather buy a quality product the first time around.

WHY do you feel the need to take a centerfire can apart? An encapsulated bullet from the base up should not be atomizinf lead like a 22lr does. Thats why user servicables are nice with rimfire cans.

Given that there is time and complexity in correctly filing your paperwork and for ATF to clear your form 4 I wouldn't put quite as much emphasis on in stock cans as I would on the manufactures support and the integrity and knowledge of your dealer.

I had an excellent experience with SRT suppressors and used one of Doug's recommended dealers. My transaction and ATF process was extremely smooth so much so that my stamps only took 60 days when it seems as if the going time is 90-120.

Today I met with David Whitson and tried his Shark and Tigershark. I am getting one. It seems that cans are well made. David is very customer friendly and accommodating.

Outsyd, your point is well taken. Centerfire cans should not lead foul as easily as a centerfire can.

There is, however, the issue of everything else that comes out of the barrel that will end up inside the can. Bottom line is, I prefer to have the ability to disassemble for cleaning and repair; you may not.

Ended up getting a M4 1000 started today with 2 QD's. So I am thinking 3 to 5 weeks for a form 3 and then 3 to 6 months for a form 4.

I've already prepaid for one of David's Hammerhead 223 suppressors. Talking with him today it appears he is getting pretty close to bringing these to the market.

I've got paperwork submitted on a KAC NT4 and a AAC M4-2000 plus I should be sending in paperwork on an Ops Inc 12th soon so I will give a comparison when they all get here.

Talk to Tim at SAS, you can't beat the price. I have Gem Tech, AAC and SAS cans.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ejd049</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kevin are doing a trust or sign off? </div></div>

I buy them through a corp. I already had the corp set up so it was the easiest route for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: the agent</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have had good results with my Jet for my 308. </div></div>

No offense but you obviously have nothing to compare. Jet cans are crap and they are lying crooks. If you need proof I can show you my paid invoice from 34 months ago. I still have not seen my suppressor. I do have one of there cans, it is loud and very heavy to be made from Ti.

SHARK...

I know, I know, not one of the ones you specified but.......

Hammerhead to join the Tigershark..soon I hope.

The QD looks badass by the way...