• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Suppressor companies- test fire before shipping?

ping

Private
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2020
VA
Have a question for the TBAC people here and any other manufacturers. Do you test fire each suppressor before shipping?

If so, do you clean the suppressor before shipping?

I ask because I received my Ultra 9 Gen 2 recently after a very long wait since last summer and there was residue all over it. It appears as if it was used despite me buying it new and never shooting it myself during the wait.

Is it normal for a brand new suppressor to have shot residue on it?

Did you contact your transferring dealer or the dealer that did the Form 3 if it was shipped? I recall my Ultra 7 being clean. But this was over 5 years ago.

Ultra-7 out of jail bit over a year ago and it was pristine clean. I agree, prob you dealer shot it. Somebody surely did.

Reactions: ping
Have a question for the TBAC people here and any other manufacturers. Do you test fire each suppressor before shipping?

If so, do you clean the suppressor before shipping?

I ask because I received my Ultra 9 Gen 2 recently after a very long wait since last summer and there was residue all over it. It appears as if it was used despite me buying it new and never shooting it myself during the wait.

Is it normal for a brand new suppressor to have shot residue on it?
I got one that was shot, but it had a card in there from the manufacturer with the guy that did QC's initials on it. All the rest of them were pristine.

And in this case 'the Man' himself chimed in and said it definitely was not them. Which 100% points the finger at your dealer.

Thank you all the responses! Thank you Zak for the clarification on TBAC's protocols.

Unfortunately, I have several pending transfers with this dealer so I now have to decide the best course of action moving forward. This suppressor purchase process has been a roller-coaster of emotions. Was so excited to actually receive my first can only to feel a bit gutted that the dealer would shoot it.

Thank you all the responses! Thank you Zak for the clarification on TBAC's protocols.

Unfortunately, I have several pending transfers with this dealer so I now have to decide the best course of action moving forward. This suppressor purchase process has been a roller-coaster of emotions. Was so excited to actually receive my first can only to feel a bit gutted that the dealer would shoot it.
Just out of curiosity does your dealer/shop have an attached shooting range?

Reactions: southernpew
Not for NFA stuff, but I have had a few transfers of weird stuff at a place with an attached range where the LGS guys sheepishly asked if they could shoot it, and I did let them under supervision. Otherwise, yeah... no. Not really theirs (some get confused about ownership vs possession) and think about it: would you shoot something fresh out of the box then expect to sell as new?

Not great. Agree, too many vindictive business people (esp in firearms world for some reason!) so I might blacklist them but muddle through the rest of the transfers instead of calling them out. Maybe try to find out the day things arrive and come see them right away from now on, maybe make comments about how nice it is to have a brand new totally clean thing before you hand it back over :)

Unfortunately actual-item serial number processes mean you can't like seal the box or anything then. It is a trust thing but this is a civil matter and not — unless they transported it and then maybe still not — an NFA violation, but it's jerky for sure.

I’d put my money on a shitty/shady dealer using it
Yep…

My Magnus HUB & Takedown 22 were both surgically spotless (brand new shiny) when I got them.

I bet he got a shady dealer that was using it, or letting others test it to make sales with it. If so, I’d be demanding a full refund, including the stamp & taxes, and keeping my can.

Yep…

My Magnus HUB & Takedown 22 were both surgically spotless (brand new shiny) when I got them.

I bet he got a shady dealer that was using it, or letting others test it to make sales with it. If so, I’d be demanding a full refund, including the stamp & taxes, and keeping my can.
Yeah I wouldn’t be happy. Holding something waiting for approval does not equate owning and using. I’d be upset as well, sadly this is not the first time I’ve heard of this.

Reactions: FuhQ
If you want me to look up its history, please email me the serial number in question.

Some of our cans have a separate QC test slip in the box-- these are ones from certain batches in 2020 that we recalled for testing. That testing did not involve test firing (not reliable enough)

Yeah I wouldn’t be happy. Holding something waiting for approval does not equate owning and using. I’d be upset as well, sadly this is not the first time I’ve heard of this.
Same here… Never had it happen to me, but heard of it happening several times to others from dealers I already knew to steer-clear of.

The dealer I use now is a local (to me) Machine Gun Range, and I know the owner and everyone there, and they would never pull something like that. To them, the customer’s satisfaction is priority #1.

Yes, very large range
Takes a lot of nerve to use someone's property like that without permission. Then to not even at least wipe it down is ridiculous. I would have raised hell right then and their, before taking possession of it. Did you confront the owner?

If you want me to look up its history, please email me the serial number in question.

Some of our cans have a separate QC test slip in the box-- these are ones from certain batches in 2020 that we recalled for testing. That testing did not involve test firing (not reliable enough)

I appreciate that but things are getting clearer here and I don't want to waste any more of your time.

The second suppressor I picked up looked clean on the outside, took it apart (22lr can) and some of the internals are dirty. The baffles were clean but the end cap and threads have fouling on the inside. This is not a TBAC can. I emailed the manufacturer to see if they "test fired" it before shipping. I haven't received a response but I bet they did not.

I have several more cans (including several more TBACs) in process with this dealer which makes this all suck more.

I appreciate that but things are getting clearer here and I don't want to waste any more of your time.

The second suppressor I picked up looked clean on the outside, took it apart (22lr can) and some of the internals are dirty. The baffles were clean but the end cap and threads have fouling on the inside. This is not a TBAC can. I emailed the manufacturer to see if they "test fired" it before shipping. I haven't received a response but I bet they did not.

I have several more cans (including several more TBACs) in process with this dealer which makes this all suck more.
Once you get all your cans, report their misconduct to every dealer and company in existence. Burn them on the BBB website, and expose them to the open. Using someone else’s private property without their permission, then trying to hide it (cleaning the rimfire can baffles), is weak and underhanded. If they refuse to give you your money back, get a lawyer.

Its really not the end of the world if they put some shots through it. Its a suppressor thats going to get dirty, not a wall hanger or collectors item.

Its shitty they did this without asking permissions but the reality is you are stuck with them for the rest of the stuff you have pending. They have ALL the leverage in this situation.

I would be very cautious over even making them aware. Some dickhead could fuck up your NFA wait and end up restarting your clock or worse.

Clean your can, enjoy it and move on with life.

Best course of action IMO, Is to let the cans already waiting for process play out. Do not do any new business with them. Once the last can is in your hands, you can blast their asshole on social media and the forums.

Also, do not have TBAC contact them, that will tip them off.

Once you get all your cans, report their misconduct to every dealer and company in existence. Burn them on the BBB website, and expose them to the open. Using someone else’s private property without their permission, then trying to hide it (cleaning the rimfire can baffles), is weak and underhanded. If they refuse to give you your money back, get a lawyer.
LOL get a lawyer that will cost more than the can is worth. Some of you fucking people are delusional living in fantasy land.

Feel free to trash them once you got your shit, but as far as legal remedys go, there aint shit you can do about it.

Takes a lot of nerve to use someone's property like that without permission. Then to not even at least wipe it down is ridiculous. I would have raised hell right then and their, before taking possession of it. Did you confront the owner?
Sorry to inform you, there was a paperwork error with the remainder of your pending cans. We will need to start the process over or you can transfer to another dealer after paying our NFA fee and storage costs. So sorry, shit happens. Enjoy waiting another 12-14 months.

So go ahead and confront the owner and blast them on Social Media. Its going to work out great for you!

• Haha
Once again, thank you all for the input. I appreciate the various perspectives. I just didn't know if manufacturers test fired suppressors or not and Zak cleared that part up for me on my TBAC purchase.

I don't know the owner. It is a large store with a large range. I would bet it is owned by a group of investors. Most of the employees there are very nice and seem decent, not counting the unscrupulous person(s) who shot my suppressors.

I'll wait for the remainder of the transfers to be completed and address the issue with management at some point in the future.

Dont loose any sleep over it. If you have a bunch pending, kindly tell the dealer not to use your cans for customer demo’s, which is almost certainly what they're doing.

Once again, thank you all for the input. I appreciate the various perspectives. I just didn't know if manufacturers test fired suppressors or not and Zak cleared that part up for me on my TBAC purchase.

I don't know the owner. It is a large store with a large range. I would bet it is owned by a group of investors. Most of the employees there are very nice and seem decent, not counting the unscrupulous person(s) who shot my suppressors.

I'll wait for the remainder of the transfers to be completed and address the issue with management at some point in the future.
If it's a large range with a lot of employees IE, not some one family operation, I would not wait. I would go to the top people and inquire about it. In that situation it would be entirely possible that an underling employee was violating company policy.

Y'all got 2 year old syndrome I told my dealer they could shoot all mine IDGAF. I get being frustrated they didn't ask but honestly it's just not a big deal.

Also if you're mad just say - "hey did y'all shoot this? I wish you would've asked me first and I don't appreciate that. Please don't do that again."

This freaking outrage little bitch culture is astounding. It's like y'all were all raised by single moms or something.

Lawyers and social media attacks good grief 😂

I understand both sides of the argument. But imagine being excited to get your brand new can finally and finding out someone has already used it. I wouldn’t be too thrilled either. It’s like ordering a brand new car, paying cash up front, waiting a year, and then going to pick it up and it has 1k miles on it because the dealership let customers or employees drive it around.

Once you get the rest of your stuff talk to management and handle it that way. Or
Better yet, stop in periodically to look at it I guess.

I'm not in the Karen camp...
But I'm also not in the "they have all the leverage" or its what cans are for, who cares? Well what is your wife doing later this evening?

I know I wouldn't use them after this. But that's just me

Yes, very large range
And there it is.....wow.

Y'all got 2 year old syndrome I told my dealer they could shoot all mine IDGAF.
Ah....no, I don't think its "2 year old syndrome" or any other type of immaturity to object strenuously to some jackass motherfucking using my can for customer demos/personal shooting. I mean, you do recognize that while you don't GAF, many (most, I would hazard) do.

I do agree that getting into a turd chucking contest with this guy is counter productive since he's still sitting on 2-3 other NFA items of the OP. But I would def want to make sure this ass-hat understood that I know what was done with my U-9 and that I don't expect this to happen to any of my other items currently being processed by the ATF...and will object VERY strenuously if they are.

Look man, you have the right to be upset. Go confront him, ask why, stare him in the face and tell him you'll whoop his ass, but the whole social media storm or lawyering up without confronting people is just embarrassing.

Do that after you give him the chance to explain, apologize, make it right.

I think we should stop doing social media outrage. Historically women have attacked one another with gossip and slander, while men have resorted to physical confrontation.

I think we need to start being men and get back to that, at least on a non-violent level.

Probably some employee demo'ing or just using it. Had that happen in the past when I was in OH, they had some employees shooting all the MGs and cans. They made it right and hooked me up with store credits worth the can and stamp.

Id bring it up with them see if theyll make it right. Or at the very least make sure the greasy faggot fuck who is doing it stops fucking with your shit.

Was the muzzle device that came with the can clean or dirty as well? If its a can that comes with one.

I totally get its a suppressor and will get dirty, scratched, and worn but I definitely would not agree with anyone using the property that I paid for without me being present for someone to finger it. The government gives the dealer(transferer) permission to possess the can and hold it while the transfer takes place and the government blesses you take possession of the property you have already paid for. IMO, when you pay for the can, it no longer belongs to dealer at all and they shouldn’t treat it as if they have any stake in that piece of property. It should be put in a safe and stay there until you go pick it up.

Its really not the end of the world if they put some shots through it. Its a suppressor thats going to get dirty, not a wall hanger or collectors item.

Its shitty they did this without asking permissions but the reality is you are stuck with them for the rest of the stuff you have pending. They have ALL the leverage in this situation.

I would be very cautious over even making them aware. Some dickhead could fuck up your NFA wait and end up restarting your clock or worse.

Clean your can, enjoy it and move on with life.

Best course of action IMO, Is to let the cans already waiting for process play out. Do not do any new business with them. Once the last can is in your hands, you can blast their asshole on social media and the forums.

Also, do not have TBAC contact them, that will tip them off.

I agree.

Not sure what confronting the owners of this place would accomplish at this point. And it may backfire if they are vindictive people. You can certainly ask why your suppressors appear to have been shot, but wouldn't push anything until you have the rest of your cans in hand.

Like Zac says, there shouldn't be any damage unless a baffle was struck. But it does show a complete lack of respect for you and your property. Get all of your cans and then don't use them again. Will be interesting to see if all of your cans show sign of use. If so, put them on blast here and leave bad reviews.

Reactions: FuhQ
Not sure what confronting the owners of this place would accomplish at this point.
Ah, I believe that the thinking may be that the owner of this store...who is also holding a few other NFA items for the OP...may choose to not abuse the OP's other items by using them without permission or choose to stop his idiot employees from doing the same.

As far as DickBeforeDismount's reasoning (hey, it ain't wallhanger), then he wouldn't mind if I took his vehicle out for a spin at 2 am while he's sleeping. I mean, he wasn't using it at the time, its back in his driveway, its not a wall hanger, its just a bit more dirty. What's the beef?

And yes, it appears that there was no baffle strike (or at least not one that the OP can spot). But they (they being NOT the owner) shot it and what if they did have a baffle strike...and nobody mentioned it to him when they gave him his can (and small strikes can be hard to spot) and he goes out and can't understand why its shotgunning all over the target. Oh, and he does not have a bore scope to examine his baffles/end cap for damage because he actually listened to some of the morons on here on this subject.

Or, in a fit of honesty, they did tell the OP, they did stand up to send it back to TBAC to be fixed on their dime, and the OP has to wait even longer to get his can because some self-entitled asshole just thought he could take it out for a spin.

I would have that convo with the owner. He may be shocked to find out that someone in his employ did this (if it wasn't he himself) and appreciate knowing he has a scum bag with access to his NFA vault.

Cheers

Last edited:
Ah, I believe that the thinking may be that the owner of this store...who is also holding a few other NFA items for the OP...may choose to not abuse the OP's other items by using them without permission or choose to stop his idiot employees from doing the same.

As far as DickBeforeDismount's reasoning (hey, it ain't wallhanger), then he wouldn't mind if I took his vehicle out for a spin at 2 am while he's sleeping. I mean, he wasn't using it at the time, its back in his driveway, its not a wall hanger, its just a bit more dirty. What's the beef?

And yes, it appears that there was no baffle strike (or at least not one that the OP can spot). But they (they being NOT the owner) shot it and what if they did have a baffle strike...and nobody mentioned it to him when they gave him his can (and small strikes can be hard to spot) and he goes out and can't understand why its shotgunning all over the target. Oh, and he does not have a bore scope to examine his baffles/end cap for damage because he actually listened to some of the morons on here on this subject.

Or, in a fit of honesty, they did tell the OP, they did stand up to send it back to TBAC to be fixed on their dime, and the OP has to wait even longer to get his can because some self-entitled asshole just thought he could take it out for a spin.

I would have that convo with the owner. He may be shocked to find out that someone in his employ did this (if it wasn't he himself) and appreciate knowing he has a scum bag with access to his NFA vault.

Cheers

Yeah, certainly have that convo for sure. I'm not suggesting otherwise.

But I wouldn't put that place on blast until the rest of the suppressors are in hand.

But that's just me.

Reactions: FuhQ and DIBBS
Yeah, certainly have that convo for sure. I'm not suggesting otherwise.

But I wouldn't put that place on blast until the rest of the suppressors are in hand.

But that's just me.
Nah, you’re right and I’m just being irritable and argumentative. Hard PT session today after lumbar fusion in Mar. and if something hurts (and wow, this one really did lol), then I indeed act like a 3 y.o.

Cheers my friend.

Have the form 4’s already been submitted? If not have that shit SOT do a form 3 to another SOT that isn’t a pice of shit

Reactions: AMGtuned
Nah, you’re right and I’m just being irritable and argumentative. Hard PT session today after lumbar fusion in Mar. and if something hurts (and wow, this one really did lol), then I indeed act like a 3 y.o.

Cheers my friend.

Lol no worries, honestly there's a few ways the OP could go about this. I don't think there's any one single right answer, but more potential downsides to some paths.

Reactions: Baron23
I'd be pissed too if this happened to me. I do hope that the OP receives some sort of compensation from the place... regardless, after the rest
of the equipment is in hand, let us know who the rat bastards are. ;)

I think most here get it. Pure and simple, its not that there may or not be damage to the can, its the fact that he paid for an item as new and expects it to be in that condition when transferred. This comes up from time to time and there are some dishonest and or irresponsible dealers/employees out there. When I was working a local shop was shooting folks cans behind the store, they even asked me if I wanted to. Obviously no was the answer along with if they do it again and I catch them, they would be arrested and the items taken as evidence-no explain that to the owner and ATF.(illegal to discharge a firearam within the city limit and on top with x feet of occupied dwelling house) Even though I was friends with the owner, he admitted fault and it stopped. Of course, he blew a gasket when I was checking messages on AR15 and found out his employees were showing off my transfer to folks before even letting me know it was in. That was the big argument as to who owns what and who is the steward of the property.

Y'all got 2 year old syndrome I told my dealer they could shoot all mine IDGAF. I get being frustrated they didn't ask but honestly it's just not a big deal.
Send me one of your nice rifles or pistols. I’ll promise to only use “top quality ammunition through it for a very specified round count”. Then I’ll send it back to you dirty and let you figure out what I did to it.

I think most here get it. Pure and simple, its not that there may or not be damage to the can, its the fact that he paid for an item as new and expects it to be in that condition when transferred. This comes up from time to time and there are some dishonest and or irresponsible dealers/employees out there. When I was working a local shop was shooting folks cans behind the store, they even asked me if I wanted to. Obviously no was the answer along with if they do it again and I catch them, they would be arrested and the items taken as evidence-no explain that to the owner and ATF.(illegal to discharge a firearam within the city limit and on top with x feet of occupied dwelling house) Even though I was friends with the owner, he admitted fault and it stopped. Of course, he blew a gasket when I was checking messages on AR15 and found out his employees were showing off my transfer to folks before even letting me know it was in. That was the big argument as to who owns what and who is the steward of the property.

Prior to becoming an SOT I had one or two that appeared to be test fired. At first I was like WTF? Got over it pretty quick as I was thankful paperwork finally came back.
Since becoming an SOT we may get 2 to 5 suppressors out of 100 that appear to have been test fired (guessing just a couple rounds).
What's funny is several of our customers ask us to shoot them and report back with our thoughts. Anymore that isn't necessary as we have shot, own, etc pretty much everything out there.
On a side note 10 years ago I did the deal on a Ford Raptor. Got to the dealer to pick it up and it had 26 miles on it. I didn't care for that one much at all but got over it pretty quick after I test drove it.