• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Suppressor Design

BruxBarrels

Private
Minuteman
May 19, 2010
Lodi, WI
www.bruxbarrels.com
I'm new to the supressor world and I have a question about designing a suppressor. Probably a simple question but I'll ask anyways. Would the suppressor still work if the bullet doesn't actually travel through the baffles? Say you have a barrel with a muzzle brake on it, and then you slide the suppressor on over the barrel with the blast chamber at the front of the barrel over the muzzle brake, and with the baffles sliding over the barrel still allowing the gasses to expand. The monocore baffle/blast chamber would be approx. 10 inches long, on an AR15 barrel chambered in 300 AAC BLK. Just a thought I had going through my mind. Would that still be effective?

Thanks

Kyle Liebetrau
Brux Barrels

Re: Silencer Design

I have seen designs similar to that and wondered the same thing. Even when the brake takes up the first 30% of the suppressor you would think it would have a negative effect on the suppressor's performance. I hope you get an educated response to this.

I thing what your talking about is like a reflex style , where the expansion chamber extends back over the barrle adding minimal length.
It will work to an extent but is pretty uneffecient , the want as many baffles as possible to act against the gas "stripping" it off the bore into chambers slowing and cooling it as it goes even if the expansion chamber is realy big the gasses leaving the barrle will have ver little interaction with anything that obstructs the gas.
this is whay a suppressor that it 14" long with say 20 baffles would work better than one 7" long with 10 baffles but double the diameter , the internal volume may be the same but their is way more "problems" for the gas to get by before leaving the can and will have lost ALOT more energy and cooled way down.

The 300 Blackout is a super effecient little round and you can run a very short barrel with it.

what is it your wanting to do with this gun?

BRUX,

That which you describe has been built. It is the heart of the A.R.I.E.S. system. Does it work? Yes. Is it quiet? much more than most suppressors we talk about here. Does it have drawbacks that make is totally impractical? Absolutely. Should you waste a second of your time pursusing it further? Not a second. It's a dead end design.

One does not need anything but capacity over the barrel, the brake remains intact and the can's primaries are 6 inches. But, as you will see, the "other" issues are deal killers.

Remember, before you watch these videos..ANY video you watch where you cannot hear the supersonic flight signature of the bullet (the crack) traveling through the distance, means he is shooting SUBSONICS. Still, the suppression values are huge here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSfVJNEiQw4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M_t2da0dh8

and a good thread to read here on the Hide on why there are very real issues...

http://206.125.47.33/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2339591

Any questions, come on back.

Actually what I am talking about isn't that similar to the ARIES system at all. Actually quite different, the only similarity would be the muzzle brake. For mine, directly over the muzzle brake would be the blast chamber. Behind the blast chamber(closer to the receiver) would be the baffle system. There would be nothing in front of the muzzle(at this point in time).

it sounds like what your describing it a reflex desgine , all the baffles are up front and the expansion chamber is in the rear over the barrel.
like i mentioned in my last post the very short area that will have baffles will do very little to slowdown and cool the gas. the more time they spend in a series of baffels the slower and cooler they get

No baffles in front of the brake... My gut is telling me, this is not the way to design an effective suppressor.

The brake only captures and redirects a portion of the chase gas behind the projectile. With few exceptions, the role of the baffles are to strip these very same chase gases off from behind the projectile. In other words, they are not needed for a post brake redirect, nor are they required as a "separator" within a barrel covering long chamber.

A brake, by itself, as an active suppression redirect is a problem, not a benefit as heat and particulate are sent in exactly the wrong direction. You want forward purge.

Listen to your gut.

In a "reflex" design, there is an expansion chamber that goes back over the barrel. However, the majority of the baffles are still in front of the brake, and account for the majority of the sound suppression. Having a suppressor where there are no baffles in front of the brake would result in minimal suppression, even if there was a huge expansion chamber to the rear.