• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressor End Caps an NFA item?

fmorelli

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2020
Friend of mine asked this question. Anyone know the answer or can provide info? Many thanks.

Based on my research I pretty sure you can file a form 1 and build multiple end caps for your suppressor build. You can also obviously buy multiple commercially available end caps for suppressors.
What I seem to find conflicting information on is whether someone with machining skills can make their own end cap for a purchased suppressor. For example, you buy an Omega 300 and it comes with an extra ~1” worth of muzzle brake/end cap. Let’s say you don’t need the brake functionality and would rather save some length.
Can you make your own end cap here, or must you give SilencerCo $100 for one they’ve made?

title 18 USC chapter 44.

(24) The terms “firearm silencer” and “firearm muffler” mean any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, and any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication.

So since it's for a silencer he has a stamp for, he's fine, but I tend to use my best judgement and not announce things like this on the internet for prying eyes (looking at you, feds), to see.

If he had a collection of parts that could be used for a silencer, there is where you'd be running some risk.

*Always consult with a lawyer.

Since the 1.375x28 (i think its 28?) thread pattern is also used for several other non-suppressor devices such as multipart blast cans, they have largely not been considered silencer parts. Same with thread mounts/adaptors.

If you also had baffles or a tube the exact dimensions as a silencer you might run into some issues.

I got a Ti endcap from Hansohn Bros for much less than $100, so if your friend isn’t comfortable then theres always aftermarket options.

title 18 USC chapter 44.

(24) The terms “firearm silencer” and “firearm muffler” mean any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, and any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication.
How it’s always been explained to me was any individual part can itself be considered the suppressor.

How it’s always been explained to me was any individual part can itself be considered the suppressor.
Not exactly. If that were the case you wouldn't be able to just buy an endcap from any of the reputable vendors without a stamp. If you have a collection of parts that can be constructed into a silencer they might go after you for intent. In the case in question, the "friend" is fine as he has filed for the silencer that the end cap is for.

Reactions: E. Bryant
Heh ... I don't have a supressor and hence no NFA ... literally it is for a non-member that asked me about it. Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Friend of mine asked this question. Anyone know the answer or can provide info? Many thanks.
It all depends on how the ATF classified the suppressor when it was first approved for production. Some cans, each part is considered an NFA item, even if it’s not serialized, and some aren’t. For example, my Dead Air Mask HD had to be sent in to DA/KGM to have the end caps resprayed with cerakote. Instead of letting me send them just the end caps, the ATF says that those caps are NFA items, so I had to send in the whole can with the tube (the only serialized part), baffles, a copy of my approved Form 4, and all. So, I just had them respray the whole damn thing like new. It turned out great, BTW.

When I talked to @Mageever , I asked him the same question, because I was nervous about sending the serialized portion through the mail, in case something happened to it and having to wait a damn year for another Form 4 approval for a replacement. So I asked him why do I have to send the whole thing in for this particular can, but I can buy end caps and KeyMo mounts for my Sandman & Nomad without having to send them in? And he told me the above info, about its all how the ATF classifies each can differently.

It’s BS that end caps and mounts on certain cans are regulated, and some aren’t, but it’s bureaucracy, and consider the source of that stupidity (ATF). 🤦🏼

Not exactly. If that were the case you wouldn't be able to just buy an endcap from any of the reputable vendors without a stamp. If you have a collection of parts that can be constructed into a silencer they might go after you for intent. In the case in question, the "friend" is fine as he has filed for the silencer that the end cap is for.
Except the ATF director recently testified under oath to congress that possession does not constitute intent to construct.

Except the ATF director recently testified under oath to congress that possession does not constitute intent to construct.

Good luck with that. Feds aren’t known to lie under oath. it will help your case after you spend good money on a lawyer though.

The point was that he’s fine making an end cap. Anything else, just don’t advertise it on the internet.

Good luck with that. Feds aren’t known to lie under oath. it will help your case after you spend good money on a lawyer though.

The point was that he’s fine making an end cap. Anything else, just don’t advertise it on the internet.
I was being about 50% sarcastic.

Reactions: jb0311