• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Suppressor first round drift

mecher50

Private
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2011
Utah
What suppressors have this trait does it go away as the suppressor is broken in is it repeatable does it even exist? Thanks for your help.

Re: Suppressor first round drift

Never heard of first round drift. There is first round pop which is the first shot buring the oxygen out of the silencer and is louder than follow up shots.

There is Point of Impact change due to the weight/harmonics of the silencer on the barrel but that is every round not just the first.

I am not familar with "1st round drift" either. Unless you are referring to a cold bore shot that will sometimes be a different point of impact at further ranges, but this is not something that happens with just suppressors. Occurs w/ brakes, cans, regular barrels, etc.

My Sandstorm had it, and it went away after 500 rounds, it was pretty significant and then slowly reduced to near zero.

It's not a cold bore issue, as I moved the can to a warm rifle that had no cold bore shift, but with the can the first set of gasses filling it cause a shift. We moved 3 cans on the same rifle and only the Gemtech Sandstorm displayed the issue.

I need to go through and check more as I have pretty good cross section of cans.

I agree with LL. I have two Gemtech Sandstorms. Mr first one never displayed the first round movement as bad as my second one. I was shooting it on a 6.5CM and it stopped shifting once I moved it from a 308. Now that I have about 400 rounds on it I put it back on a 308 and the shift was gone.

It's weird to me that a can would need a break in period but its shooting great now. It is the ONLY can I have that has ever shot different from round 1 to then settling back in on the 2nd shot.