• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors suppressor for 6.8 SPC ?

hrt4me

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2001
Dallas, Texas
Does anyone make a suppressor specifically for the 6.8 SPC, or do most just use a slightly overbored 7.62x51mm suppressor?

Re: suppressor for 6.8 SPC ?

I have a 7.62 can, but I figure a 6.8 caliber can will be most effective at sound suppression

My surefire FA68K works good - and while I could use the 30cal, I havent since I own more Surefires than I should already.

My 6.8s are on VLTOR VIS platforms, WOA 16 and 18in bbls - all are hammers. Any whitetail that was introduced to the 6.8s sat down immediately and was lights out.

Accuracy has been approx 1/2-3/4 MOA with VMAX factory and handloads - no measurable difference in unsuppressed/suppressed accuracy

just my 2 cents

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacticalStocks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My surefire FA68K works good - and while I could use the 30cal, I havent since I own more Surefires than I should already.

My 6.8s are on VLTOR VIS platforms, WOA 16 and 18in bbls - all are hammers. Any whitetail that was introduced to the 6.8s sat down immediately and was lights out.

Accuracy has been approx 1/2-3/4 MOA with VMAX factory and handloads - no measurable difference in unsuppressed/suppressed accuracy</div></div>

Thanks for your reply, John; I'd like to see some photos of your set-up (I'm interesting in building a 12.5" SBR for hog hunting with shots out to 150-200 yards).

AWC 6.8 100% titanium Raider XM, none better. Just over 12OZ. all 360 deep penetration welded. Your looking at the 6.8 below.
6.8 has some unique supression issues, it is much better to go with a 6.8 can than a .30 if you are able, this is especially true on a sbr.

Listen to the Surefire and then listen to this can.

aw37.jpg

look at the Surfire end cap and then look at this..

-2.jpg

Just see and hear them both. Best of luck.

Im running an AAC SPR/M4 in 6.spc with a Noveske Crusader 12.5 upper with a switchblock, sounds like a .22 mag. only bitch is the can is heavy

AAC M4-2000 QD 6.8MM. Not sure on the size and weight but a buddy was selling one. AAC makes solid cans.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6.8 has some unique suppression issues, it is much better to go with a 6.8 can than a .30 if you are able, this is especially true on a sbr.</div></div>

Can you please elaborate re: these suppression issues?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom Olson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm running an AAC SPR/M4 in 6.spc with a Noveske Crusader 12.5 upper with a switchblock, sounds like a .22 mag. only bitch is the can is heavy </div></div>

Pics?

Im new to this site, trying to figure out how to load pics,,,,

Mr. Melick, happy to. As you are well aware, the .223 itself if difficult to suppress with a 16" barrel. If one shortens that barrel one has an increase in blast immediately. There are issues when even the gas' ability to dwell in the barrel (before and as a result of the can) goes from the "normal" 14"/16" to shorter. The barrels own volume capacity plays a role, as does "stock" powder charge, as does the baffle/chamber design. There is more, whereas a majority of powders are fully ignited long before the can, some propellant can actually still be in combustion when it hits the can on sbrs. All this contributes to the obvious fact that the blast signature on sbrs is much louder. Now if we complicate matters by increasing the charge from .223 to 6.8 and then open up the baffles for the larger bullet diameter (larger = more gas directly following the tail of the projectile through the baffles) it is more challenging to strip the gas off efficiently. The secret to approaching the 6.8 is a tight path (no megaphone, and therefor by default, no QD) with additional phased chamber campacity and most importantly the gas diverter design on the face of the baffle itself.

Look at the face of an AWC baffle circa 1999 and then look at all the others during that same period. AWC is different and complex. Then look at the face of an AWC baffle today and then the better cans today, simularity. What one sees is the realization that gases don't just need to be stripped and delayed through disruption, but rather stripped through purposeful gas redirection. Purposeful in timing, phasing, direction and into chambers that are designed to manage those very same jets. That is the essence of frequency management. Only then can you create the turbulences, manage the resulting heat and still allow for front purging of the wastes while maximizing suppression. Lastly, capacity/volume on a 6.8 is of particular importance, unless you want a large can, using any of that precious resouce to support monocore has consequences.

There are great 6.8 cans out there, just take the time to hear them and you can make up your own mind very quickly.

I am in the market for a 6.8mm suppressor. I don't see the Raider XL on AWC's site. I am impressed in the weight at 12 ounces. What is the price range for that suppressor?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">..

JSTARZ, So sorry, I had typed XL should have been XM. I use the XL TT (.300 WM).

At the bottom of the page. Call them up, ask for Chris.

http://www.awcsystech.com/products/suppressors/raider-68mm/

</div></div>
to be honest I am surprised at the weight - 28 ounces. That is close to their 308 weight. It really needs to be around the 17 ounces to make sure the barrel is not too front heavy. I am hunting with the 6.8mm and that just seems too heavy to me unless I am missing something.

That is not their titanium can, specs above are from their 300 series. The picture you see from me is 12.4 oz.

Speak with Chris, he can help you better understand the specs.

Best

thanks, I will give him a call sometime as I narrow out the search = 12 ounces is awesome

I just submitted paperwork for a AAC M4-2000 in 6.8 SPC. I am going to be running it on an AR15 SBR build. I have the SBR approved and running already, its a blast to shoot but I think muffled its going to be perfect for carbine courses and the occasional kill house visit.

I'll report back when I have it in hand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mr. Melick, happy to. As you are well aware, the .223 itself is difficult to suppress with a 16" barrel. If one shortens that barrel, then one has an increase in blast immediately. There are issues when even the gas' ability to dwell in the barrel (before and as a result of the can) goes from the "normal" 14"/16" to shorter. The barrel's own volume capacity plays a role, as does "stock" powder charge, as does the baffle/chamber design. There is more: whereas a majority of powders are fully ignited long before the can, some propellant can actually still be in combustion when it hits the can on SBRs. All this contributes to the obvious fact that the blast signature on SBRs is much louder. Now if we complicate matters by increasing the charge from .223 to 6.8 and then open up the baffles for the larger bullet diameter (larger = more gas directly following the tail of the projectile through the baffles), then it is more challenging to strip the gas off efficiently. The secret to approaching the 6.8 is a tight path (no megaphone, and therefore, by default, no QD) with additional phased chamber capacity, and most importantly, the gas diverter design on the face of the baffle itself.

Look at the face of an AWC baffle circa 1999 and then look at all the others during that same period. AWC is different and complex. Then look at the face of an AWC baffle today and then the better cans today, simularity. What one sees is the realization that gases don't just need to be stripped and delayed through disruption, but rather, stripped through purposeful gas redirection. Purposeful in timing, phasing, direction and into chambers that are designed to manage those very same jets. That is the essence of frequency management. Only then can you create the turbulences, manage the resulting heat and still allow for front purging of the wastes while maximizing suppression. Lastly, capacity/volume on a 6.8 is of particular importance; unless you want a large can, then using any of that precious resource to support monocore has consequences.</div></div>

Thank you for the detailed and informative reply.

So what I have gathered is that for the 6.8 SPC caliber, particularly as it relates to an SBR, the barrel length, suppressor and ammunition/powder type must be balanced and function synergistically for the best overall performance. Therefore, proper selection of both ammunition/propellent in unison with a suppressor having appropriate baffle and chamber design is critical (along with the proper barrel/length).

I see I have more research to do...

Does anyone have a suppressor for a 6.8 that they would be looking to part with? Always looking for a deal. Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tracy308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone have a suppressor for a 6.8 that they would be looking to part with? Always looking for a deal. Thanks </div></div>

My buddy has an LWRC PDW upper in 6.8 SPC with an AAC M4-2000 in 6.8 that he wants to get rid of. I think he put 10 rounds through it. I'll let him know about this thread.