• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Suppressor for Hunting & Target Practice

treillw

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2017
The day has come. I'm considering purchasing a suppressor. My ears ring after shooting even with plugs and muffs. It's probably more from the other 6 people at the range ripping off shots than my own gun though. I think I need to reevaluate my shooting location. I know a very small amount of info about suppressors. I have two guns which I would like to put it on:

Cooper Model 92
300 win
9/16x24 thread
currently has factory seamless brake
24" barrel

Ruger Precision
6.5 CM
5/8x24 thread
currently has factory self timing brake
26" barrel

Questions:
  • What suppressor is best for precision accuracy?
    • I've heard good things about Thunderbeast and Silencer Co
  • What suppressor is best for hunting?
    • I probably don't want the length over 5". I figure the muzzle brake adds 2" to my gun. If I add another 3" onto that for a 5" can, maneuverability shouldn't be terrible.
    • Lightweight options out there? The can will get to see a lot of country.
  • Would you get a muzzle brake adapter for each gun, or have the can direct thread and put an adapter on one of the guns?
  • Would you get a .300 caliber or .338 caliber?
    • I don't have any current aspirations for a .338, but who knows what the future holds.
    • How much does being over sized affect the noise reduction?
  • I'm also wondering if I should even bother putting it on my hunting rifle. The braked 300 barks pretty loud, but once I get it tuned up, I don't really need to shoot it more than a few shots a year.
    • Hearing protection while hunting isn't always convenient or achievable though
  • Do you see much of a point of impact or accuracy difference when removing the can?
    • It might be nice to use the can for practice and remove it for lugging around the mountain.
I appreciate you taking the time to answer any of my many questions! Thanks!

TBAC Ultra 5 in 30 cal. Put a 30 BA brake adapter on each rifle and you are golden. All your requirements will be met.

I would keep the suppressor on for hunting. The animals do not spook as bad when being shot at suppressed.

If your ears ring even plugged and muffed you’re gonna have a bad time regardless, you want all you can get and still wear muffs. And quit shooting breakers rifles, especially unprotected even if it is hunting.

I’d get a tbac ultra 9 although the @HansohnBrothers sale on the omega for 695 right now is awfully tempting.
Edit: looks like they removed it from the sale now?

I have gone the 419 system myself because I much prefer the bare muzzle alternative to the asr muzzle brake just for hunting without the can. It’s not that long and worth it for the sound savings over a 5” I think. If you can’t sacrifice 2” you’re not hunting, you’re breaking down doors and swating people. I’d rather cut the barrel down 6” than sacrifice that 2” of suppression myself.

I’d get a tbac ultra 9 although the @HansohnBrothers sale on the omega for 695 right now is awfully tempting.
Edit: looks like they removed it from the sale now?
The Omega are sold out. For the OP, I recommend a TBAC Ultra 5 or the Ultra 7. Both weigh under 12 ounces with mount and will not negativily affect your accuracy.

How do silencer co suppressors compare to thunderbeast?

How loud will my win mag be with a 5"?

Last edited:
Why does thunderbeast have such a large following?

Excellent customer service and they make great cans for bolt guns. They market cans made specifically for the precision rifle crowd ie this sight.

If you’re having hearing issues now get off your computer and take the brake off of that hunting rifle right now. Braked 300 win is terrible for your hearing.

Hunting suppressed is amazing, I still wear plugs if I have time but when I don’t it’s like wearing plugs normally.

I have a custom .30 cal can rebuilt on a form 1 that I couldn’t get what I wanted out of, it’s a fantastic can but if I could do it all over again I would get a tbac 338 ultra and be done with it for my large rifles. It will suppress your 300 win very well, better than an ultra 5 and I’d wager as good or better than an ultra 9 with the extra volume.

Why does thunderbeast have such a large following?

Quality
Time proven - Lots of folks run them in matches
Well established company
Awesome Customer Service
Repeatable POI
Light, strong welded titanium tubes
They are here on the forum regularly

I have an Ultra 9 30 cal I use both for precision rifle shooting and hunting. The season before last, I put my 30-06 hunting rifle away end of season. Meanwhile I put well over 1000 rounds of .308 and .223 AR-15 rounds through the Ultra over the next year.

Almost a year later when the season came again I dusted off the 30-06, spun the Ultra 9 on and the POI was EXACTLY where I had left it. No change whatsoever. This exceeded my expectations and then some......

Maybe I'm stuck in the past and they've gotten a lot better, but I don't like QD cans on a precision rifle. I've had one in years past, and found it opened up my groups. I only direct thread my can's on my precision rifles.

Reactions: RTH1800
I would keep the suppressor on for hunting. The animals do not spook as bad when being shot at suppressed.

This has been my experience. It’s actually been quite amazing. They stand there looking a “Ralph” wonder why he is suddenly taking a nap and who the fuck human is this walking our way???

How effective are the Thunderbeast brakes when shooting without the can?

Any idea of how they compare to a terminator t2 brake or an apa micro bastard in terms of recoil reduction and noise?

Is thunderbeast top of the line? Anyone else to consider?

Maybe I'm stuck in the past and they've gotten a lot better, but I don't like QD cans on a precision rifle. I've had one in years past, and found it opened up my groups. I only direct thread my can's on my precision rifles.

There is a massive difference between various QD mounts. Unlike some of the lesser preferred offerings tbac and griffin and some others use a shouldered threading system that is essentially a direct thread plus a ramp that centers the can.

If you call tbac they recommend their brake system for precision rifle repeatability.

Reactions: HansohnBrothers
There is a massive difference between various QD mounts. Unlike some of the lesser preferred offerings tbac and griffin and some others use a shouldered threading system that is essentially a direct thread plus a ramp that centers the can.

If you call tbac they recommend their brake system for precision rifle repeatability.
Even their direct thread cans are just the same quick detach cans with the muzzle brakes secured in the can instead of onto the barrel.

I went down the path of directly threaded to the barrel. Very happy with the Omega. Hunting is my Primary. Range time is just so much more peaceful suppressed.

Is thunderbeast top of the line? Anyone else to consider?
One more time: "TBAC Ultra 5 in 30 cal. Put a 30 BA brake adapter on each rifle and you are golden. All your requirements will be met."

I am in no way affiliated with TBAC, I just have at least one of everything they offer. Look at my Avatar...taken with a 5" TBAC on a 6.5 at 525 yards. nuf said.

So it looks like a 300 win is around 140 db with a TBAC 5" ultra.
and a 6.5 with a 300 TBAC 5" ultra is around 132 db

For comparison:
A braked 300 win is around 170 db
A 22 lr is 135-145 db
A 9" can would get the 300 down to ~133 db (best it gets)

I'm just trying to wrap my head around how loud the gun with be with the can. Don't have any buddies nearby that have suppressors. So it seems like the 300 will be roughly on the same level as a 22lr and the 6.5 might be a shade quieter? Does that sound right? Any other good ways to compare things?

As I understand it, decibels are measured on a logarithmic scale, so 1 db is roughly 10x louder if I remember correctly?

Thanks for all the help!

Last edited:
My 1st suppressor is an SAS , had it for a few months and I really enjoy it.

With that said, I have a TBAC 338 Ultra awaiting approval and will be using TBAC products exclusively going forward. They're the best precision suppressor available, period.

So am I correct in thinking that a 5" suppressor will only add 3" onto my rifle since it's replacing a 2" brake?

So it seems like the 300 will be roughly on the same level as a 22lr and the 6.5 might be a shade quieter? Does that sound right? Any other good ways to compare things?
No, a 22 is noticeably quieter, especially match 22 stuff. Even with a can it won’t be pleasant to shoot too much without hearing protection.

It doesn’t instantly ring your bell like a bare muzzle rifle does or, god forbid, a braked one but a few shots on top of each other and you’ll notice some pressure on your ears. It might not hurt but it’s not comfortable. It’s like when a long 2x4 slaps down on the ground, it’s still alarmingly loud but not not debilitatingly so.

Lol uh yeah... Your stuck in 1989. My dead air mounts deliver repeatable pois while doing barrel swaps on the line with the axmc...

Reactions: Sierra770
No, a 22 is noticeably quieter, especially match 22 stuff. Even with a can it won’t be pleasant to shoot too much without hearing protection.

It doesn’t instantly ring your bell like a bare muzzle rifle does or, god forbid, a braked one but a few shots on top of each other and you’ll notice some pressure on your ears. It might not hurt but it’s not comfortable. It’s like when a long 2x4 slaps down on the ground, it’s still alarmingly loud but not not debilitatingly so.

Is it quieter than say a 243 with a bare muzzle?

Is it safe to shoot a shot it two without protection?

I'd imagine a range day with no ear pro would be a bad idea.

Are the tbac adapter brakes easily removable, if i would want to take it off? No permanent attachment required?

After looking at a few other companies it doesn't seem like anybody else makes a lightweight 5" can. Are there any others out there? (If nothing else short and light is available, it will make my search even easier than you guys are telling me it should be ?)

Are the tbac adapter brakes easily removable, if i would want to take it off? No permanent attachment required?

After looking at a few other companies it doesn't seem like anybody else makes a lightweight 5" can. Are there any others out there? (If nothing else short and light is available, it will make my search even easier than you guys are telling me it should be ?)

Dead air nomad. Shot 300 Norma through one last weekend with no earpro sounded great.

Another vote for the TBAC. It checks all of your boxes being short, lightweight, with a solid QD/brake option. They are the go to suppressor precision rifles. Again, don’t over think it.

I'm just trying to wrap my head around how loud the gun with be with the can. Don't have any buddies nearby that have suppressors. So it seems like the 300 will be roughly on the same level as a 22lr and the 6.5 might be a shade quieter? Does that sound right? Any other good ways to compare things?

As I understand it, decibels are measured on a logarithmic scale, so 1 db is roughly 10x louder if I remember correctly?

Don't waste your time chasing down decibel claims as part of the decision making process. There is a lot of subjectivity in how those numbers are acquired. There are MUCH more important criteria to consider. Specifically- the right size/weight that you're looking for, how it impacts your POI, and how repeatable/consistent that shift is. This is why TBAC Ultra cans are the gold standard. There is going to be a POI shift with any can, no matter what. The question is how consistent that is. I can take my Ultra 5 off 20 different times, and the POI shift is going to be in exactly the same place on the 20th time that is was on the 1st time. This is not always the case with other can/brake designs. The Ultra 5 weighs like 8 ounces or something stupid like that. It's the closest you're going to get to not even noticing you hung a can on the end of your barrel.

To answer your question about how "loud" it is going to be..... I have permanent hearing damage and am very sensitive to these issues just like you. You're on the right track, investing in a suppressor is a game changer. I have used my Ultra 5 on 6.5 Creedmoor barrels ranging from 16.5-24". It sounds about like a .22 mag unsuppressed (and that's behind the rifle, not out to the side.) It is not super duper quiet, but I consider the suppression sufficient enough to take shots out in the field without hearing protection. Shooting 40 rounds in a row at the range by yourself? Still need to at least have some earplugs in for that.

I haven't ever shot a magnum through it, but with 6.5 Creedmoor performance as a reference I'm going to bet it's not as quiet as a 22lr. If you have to take a quick shot out in the field, you're still going to be a hell of a lot further away from hearing damage than where you're at now. Yes, there IS going to be some trade off going with a 5 no matter what you're hanging it on. For me, the 5 is worth the investment because it is sufficient enough to keep me out of the significant hearing damage zone, while being small enough to not be a pain in the ass.

Is it quieter than say a 243 with a bare muzzle?

Is it safe to shoot a shot it two without protection?

I'd imagine a range day with no ear pro would be a bad idea.
Yes, silenced is much much quieter than bare muzzle.
A shot or two silenced hunting or just to see for yourself is no biggie on the ears. All day at the range can be.

Reactions: Holliday
How much am i losing by not going with a larger can? Would it be safe for no ear pro at the range?

If i hate a 5" for hunting (I put on a ton of miles and feet of elevation gain chasing elk), I may regret not getting a 9" or 338 can.

Anybody ever make your own via "form 1"?

As I mentioned I made my own with a F1 and it would have been fine for a 22 or a backyard 300 blackout pistol but for a precision rifle it was not up to snuff. It’s impossible to get good even margins with a drill press you need real equipment.

If you have a well set up lathe then you can do it. I shot mine a bit and then sent it to Ecco machine for a rebuild and it came back as an actual can and not a waste of my money like before. In the end I spent almost as much as a TBAC, and while it can hang with one dB reduction wise, it’s 18 ounces instead of 11 ounces.

Keep in mind your net length gain is about 6" on a UL7. I like my UL7 a lot and have cut a few rifles down to make total length around 24". The lost barrel length is very close to the UL7 weight so balance and handling remain very close. It works for me anyway.

With all this chatter about quality cans maybe my 2nd can should be a thunder beast. Thank you. Always learning.

So most people say that there is a POI shift when you take the can off and just use the adapter muzzle brake. My question is does the rifles tuning change? ie) if you have a load developed that shoots .5 moa with the can on, will that same load shoot 1.5 moa with the can off?

Is is better to develop a load while using the can or the brake?

Lastly, where is the best place to buy a TBAC can and brakes? Bargains are one of the things I most enjoy hunting for. ? I think I remember seeing some black friday sales last year? Anything worth waiting for?

Thank you all for your help.

So most people say that there is a POI shift when you take the can off and just use the adapter muzzle brake. My question is does the rifles tuning change? ie) if you have a load developed that shoots .5 moa with the can on, will that same load shoot 1.5 moa with the can off?

Lastly, where is the best place to buy a TBAC can and brakes? Bargains are one of the things I most enjoy hunting for. ? I think I remember seeing some black friday sales last year? Anything worth waiting for?

Usually not. If your rifle is right on the verge of a weird node, you might have to.

I usually develop loads how-ever I'm going to shoot, but if I already have a load that shoots great without, it is my starting point and rarely changes.

Try any of our larger dealers and use our Availability tool to find what you need

Some guns and cans will cause loads to change, some wont. Gotta test your own combo to see. Same for Point of Impact.

I always develop loads with the can on.

My results: If I create a dope card for one of my rifles with the can ON she is GTG. If I am going to expect the same like precision results with the same rifle and the can OFF, I need a separate dope card. Maybe its just me but that has been my experience. If your banging steel its not a big deal. If your concerned about an ethical clean shot inside 300m Do the right thing get the precise dope, CAN OFF / CAN ON dope matters.

Agree ed 100%: My problem is with six rifles recalling the correct DOPE can be challenging CAN ON CAN OFF. That's a lot to remember Oh yeah lets do this in the dark. Stumbling and fumbling is my forte. Not trying to nit pic just sharing from the field.

I never shoot without a suppressor so zeroing is not an issue. Once you start shooting with one I doubt you want to take it off.

Reactions: Sierra770
I never shoot without a suppressor so zeroing is not an issue. Once you start shooting with one I doubt you want to take it off.

I probably carried my rifle 200 miles through the mountains chasing elk last year. By the end of the season, all the frills have left my pack and are sitting on the shelf at home.

Reading around elsewhere on the internet and people are saying the 5 isn't worth getting, to go with a 7" ultra at a minimum. Thoughts on this? The 7 seems to be about 3 db quieter on a 300 win. Is that a huge difference?

I will still use ear pro while practicing and hopefully shoot 4 shots max unprotected at once hunting unless I'm having a terrible day!