• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Suppressor Help

Ammo for me

Private
Minuteman
Oct 3, 2011
Looking at putting a can on an AR-15. I currently don't have a suppressor and have never used one but would love to have one for coyote hunting. What is a good one to get and what should I watch for? Is there a particular AR-15 that would operate better than others with a can due to the gas system for any reason?
Any help would be great
thank you

Re: Suppressor Help

Silencerco Saker 556 will be coming out very soon and they make awesome cans. You will still get a lot of noise from the ejection port.
Check some of the other forums like http://www.silencerforum.com there is a ton of good info plus M3 does testing on cans and you can review the sound testing for the cans you are looking at

My buddy has a Gemtech G5 for his 5.56, for a QD can, it is pretty bad ass. The noise is about like a .22mag with standard 5.56 ammo.

His is the heavy one though, the Ti version would be even cooler.

Check out TBAC and TSW also, they make some nice cans.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mikee6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Silencerco Saker 556 will be coming out very soon and they make awesome cans. You will still get a lot of noise from the ejection port.
Check some of the other forums like http://www.silencerforum.com there is a ton of good info plus M3 does testing on cans and you can review the sound testing for the cans you are looking at</div></div>

+1 on the Saker but take a look at the SWR Specwar. It is several hundred less and should be in the store before to long. YHM 5.56 Ti can is a very solid can and fits on a budget.

AWC THOR Raider. My Coyote gun weighs in right at 10 lbs fully loaded and suppressed.

milkytits.jpg

Do you have any .30cal rifles? If so I would look into getting a 7.62 can b/c the sound suppression is virtually the same as a 5.56 and gives you more options. Plus they're full auto rated where a lot of 5.56 cans aren't.

If not though, the YHM 5.56 is very good if you're on a budget but it is very heavy. Built like a brick shit house though so you can shoot almost anything through it.

Being that its on an AR platform, I'm assuming its not so much a bench-rest gun but more mobile? I would suggest getting a titanium can to cut the front end weight and balance better overall if that's the case.

I would recommend a single point thread suppressor instead of a quick detach that requires a proprietary mount.

I have both kinds and the direct thread is far superior.

--Fargo007

A great low budget suppressor is the Tactical Innovations TAC-16. It's under $ 400 and I shoot them in the field and range with a M16. Handles full auto all day long. Sure you will have to "re-tighten" it atfer a few mags, but come on. Yes the Yankee Hill, AWC and Gemtech are very good, but most need an additional flash hider and twice the money for what? 3db, maybe 6db of less noise?

3 to 6 db is an enormous difference in apparent sound signature.