• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Suppressor Host: 1911 or "Other"?

300LW

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2008
Brenham, Texas
While waiting on my Osprey from the group buy I need to decide if I want to spend $300 on a threaded barrel for my Colt or trade it for something that already has a threaded barrel such as a USP Tactical. This being my first pistol can I wanted to get some input on how well 1911's suppress compared to more modern designs. Comments?

Re: Suppressor Host: 1911 or "Other"?

i don't know about anyone else, but i will be buying a threaded barrel for my PARA-ORDNANCE P-14. classic looks and styling plus 14 round capacity cannot be beat. i have never heard any problems with a suppressed 1911..although i am sure someone will chime in.

I am really digging the FNP 45 Tactical. Ambi for all the controls, comes with a threaded barrel, tall sights (you won't need it since you got the Osprey), red dot ready and 3 mags that can hold 15 rounds of 45 ACP goodness! It also comes with a carry case too.

I love using my SWR HEMS-2 on my 1911 with stainless threaded barrel.

I'll probably end up buying a threaded barrel for the Colt and get something else later. I usually regret selling my guns and doubt this one would be any different.

What would be a good barrel to go with? Josh at SilencerCo recommended Jarvis or Stormlake but I'm sure there are others.

Sig P220.

I spent some time talking with Gary Hughes from SilencerCo about a week ago at the impact guns indoor store. According to their testing, the Sig P220 & 45 Osprey is the quietest 45acp platform they discovered. I was surprised because i assumed a polymer framed gun would be a tad quieter, but no, the P220 was quieter. The difference was only 1-2 decibels, but still, thats a improvement. Plus the P220 is a hell of a platform.

Suppressing a 1911 shouldn't be an issue but I would recommend a gunsmith fitted barrel to make sure that the gun is timed correctly. I bought a FNP45 Tactical with the goal of buying a .45 suppressor for it, leaning towards the Ti-rant. FN is a great pistol and I feel that a RDS on the slide and the suppressor should make for a fast firing quiet gun.

I think a heavier recoil-spring will cut down on noise as well , by keeping the slide 'in battery' ( increasing dwell-time), forcing more gases through the can . An example is using a .380 PPK in a .22 PPK . A 1911 , compared to other models , does have a variety of springs available , because of their popularity . Wolff springs might offer a set ... I have an SWR HEMS2 , which I use on a SIG 220 COMBAT , a TRP Operator w/Jarvis barrel , and an H&K Tactical . To me , it sounds just as quiet on all of them . I have not tried messing with springs yet , as I have no way to gauge any improvements , except my wife's opinion . My wife is louder than all of them ( nervous LOL , look around rapidly) ...

I've meter the Osprey 45 on a 1911, HK Tactical and HK45, IIRC THE hk platforms edged out the 1911.

Well, I've decided to keep the 1911 and ordered a threaded Stormlake barrel. Still thinking about getting a USP Tactical, though, if for no other reason than its higher capacity.

dragoon, thanks for the tip on the heavy spring. I think I have one somewhere and will have to give it a try.

A couple points about suppressing a 1911:

1. Unless your 1911 is a bushing less design, the barrel will no have enough meat on it to put M16 x 1.0 LH threads on it similar ot the USP tactical. The std thread used on std. 1911 bbls. is o.578 x 28. This gives about .03 over the thread minor dia to the bore, not a huge amount, but it works.

2. The USP45T or the newer FN and Sig pistols offered with extended threaded barrels are a nice way to go. If you order an aftermarket 1911 barrel that is pre-threaded be advised of a couple issues.
*threads on many 1911 pre-threaded barrels are made for compensators and are not made with considerations necessary for the mounting of suppressors such as thread relief, thread length, thread tolerance, and mounting shoulder location.
*alot of the aftermarket 1911 barrels require fitting or finish chambering: reliability may be an issue.

3. The cycling of a .45 relies on the movement of the barrel relative to a fulcrum point near the front of the slide to allow the locking lugs to clear. Adding the substantial weight of a pistol can such as you are mentioning typically requires the incorporation of a Nielsen device of some derivative thereof. The other pistols will likely need this too with the can you are looking at.

The USP tactical and the others have high sights that are a nice touch.

Have fun and let us know how it goes!

I'll just get another piston for different threads. It's also my understand that the piston has the same effect as a Nielsen device. Is this correct?

piston and neilson are the same , like kleenex/tissue.

I went with a prefit Stormlake barrel for my 1911 suppressor (AAC Evo .45) host. No fitting or acuracy issues with my Gen 1 Kimber or Springfield Operator MC. Spent the extra of a 16x1 LH piston for flexability in the future.

002.jpg

I have fired the FNP-45 tac, with the threaded end and have had cycling issues with this pistol, with the suppressor mounted.

Most time the gun does not try to expel the spent round. Does not even open the chamber. I tried some +p rounds and it tried to cycle but did not expel the round and tried to load the new one. cool malfunction. extractor still had the spent case.

But any ways my guess is the recoil spring is too strong for the pistol with the suppressor on.

I love 1911s and own several. I run a couple of them suppressed with Jarvis "drop in" fit barrels and have never had problems after thousands of rounds. I've used a lot of suppressors but the majority of rounds have been fired through SWR HEMS-2, AAC Evo-45 and SilencerCo Osprey suppressors. Host 1911s have included Colt, Kimber and Springfield for vast majority of my personal use.

milspecLarge.jpg

All my 1911s are bushing designs and the Jarvis barrels have .578-28 threads.

I also use a Jarvis barrel on a Sig P220 without issues. Works great.

The sound difference to my ears between the 1911s and the Sig is minimal if any. I really can't tell a difference.

<span style="font-weight: bold">"The difference was only 1-2 decibels, but still, that's a improvement. "</span>

Only 1 or two decibels? Just how much difference is 2 dB in %?

The fact that, past going from a closed to open bolt host, would make THAT much difference speaks volumes about either the meter, the reader, the set-up or the can's back pressure. If the measurement has to do with the can, with the <span style="font-weight: bold">blast signature</span>, well what does THAT tell you?

<span style="font-weight: bold">"I have fired the FNP-45 tac, with the threaded end and have had cycling issues with this pistol, with the suppressor mounted."</span>

Glad you bought the barrel, that is the right move.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowpull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have fired the FNP-45 tac, with the threaded end and have had cycling issues with this pistol, with the suppressor mounted.

Most time the gun does not try to expel the spent round. Does not even open the chamber. I tried some +p rounds and it tried to cycle but did not expel the round and tried to load the new one. cool malfunction. extractor still had the spent case.

But any ways my guess is the recoil spring is too strong for the pistol with the suppressor on.
Mine (FNP Tac) has been flawless from day one, the can I'm running is an AAC Tirant,
</div></div>