• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Suppressor hunting in Ohio?

MacMan

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2009
USA
Can not find any info on the ODNR website that defines hunting with a suppressor.Thought it would be fun to hunt wild boar with my can,no closed season and no bag limits with rifles of any calibre.Is it legal?
Thanks!

Re: Suppressor hunting in Ohio?

Unfortunately not per the local warden in NEOhio... asked on groundhogs and the response was no, but good idea though

That what I was thinking but I did not want to email or call the ODNR they would probally frown upon someone who may pose this question and think we were unethical hunters or sportsmen!
Thank you!

Does anyone have a legal answer, I just half ass searched the Ohio Revised Code and could not find anything pertaining to the use of a "muffler, silencer, suppressor".

I thought there used to be a disqualifier but cannont find it now.

Not to be a dick but I could care less what a local DNR has to say about it, I want to know the law.

Will do some more checking myself, but thought someone might have the ORC that says you cannot do it.

Thanks
Scott

For PA I called the central office and spoke with their legal team of writters and prosecuters. there answer was yes they are legal here in PA to hunt with. Unfortunately, I asked the local wardens and deputy's first who were mostly clueless and most said they were illegal.

Go to the source and ask, then get something in writting via mail or email from the person you spoke to.

JamieD

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JamieD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For PA I called the central office and spoke with their legal team of writters and prosecuters. there answer was yes they are legal here in PA to hunt with. Unfortunately, I asked the local wardens and deputy's first who were mostly clueless and most said they were illegal.

Go to the source and ask, then get something in writting via mail or email from the person you spoke to.

JamieD </div></div>

Looks like we are fucked.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">1501:31-15-02 General hunting and trapping provisions.</span>

(D) It shall be unlawful for any person to use a gun equipped with a silencer or muffler, or deadfall of any type to take or attempt to take a wild bird or wild quadruped.

<span style="font-weight: bold">1501:31-1-02 Definition of terms.</span>

Q) “Wild birds” includes game birds and nongame birds.

(R) “Game” includes game birds, game quadrupeds, and furbearing animals.

(S) “Game birds” includes mourning doves, ringneck pheasants, bobwhite quail, ruffed grouse, sharp-tailed grouse, pinnated grouse, wild turkey, Hungarian partridge, chukar partridge, woodcocks, black-breasted plover, golden plover, Wilson’s snipe or jacksnipe, greater and lesser yellowlegs, rail, coots, gallinules, duck, geese, brant, and crows.

(T) “Nongame birds” includes all other wild birds not included and defined as game birds or migratory game birds.

(U) “Wild quadrupeds” includes game quadrupeds and furbearing animals.

(V) “Game quadrupeds” includes cottontail rabbits, gray squirrels, black squirrels, fox squirrels, red squirrels, flying squirrels, chipmunks, groundhogs or woodchucks, white-tailed deer, black bears, and wild boar.

(W) “Furbearing animals” includes minks, weasels, raccoons, skunks, opossums, muskrats, fox, beavers, badgers, otters, coyotes, and bobcats.

(X) “Wild animals” includes mollusks, crustaceans, aquatic insects, fish, reptiles, amphibians, wild birds, wild quadrupeds, and all other wild mammals.
</div></div>

Thanks for posting!Not what I wanted to see but It is the written horseshit law!

Its legal to hunt with SBR's (if it meets minimum caliber restriction) and Supressors in VA as long as you are legal to have it and a properly licensed hunter

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MacMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for posting!Not what I wanted to see but It is the written horseshit law! </div></div>

guess you belong to the mother may i club

The law sucks but it is what it is.Should I risk my collection for a groundhog or a boar?Do what you wish but I will continue to hunt groundhogs with ear protection.