• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Suppressor in mn...

shootnfarmer

Private
Minuteman
Aug 21, 2009
So does anyone know if there is any way whatsoever to get around the law banning suppressors in MN? I'm doubtful, but VERY curious.

Any info is excellent goood or bad.

BTW I would love one for coyote hunting, thats the reason.

Re: Suppressor in mn...

Short answer is no. Only suppressors registered lately in MN have been for the DNR, and they're limited in the number they can have as well.

I'm all for getting the law changed as well...

or you can be a legal manufacturer of ammunitions
smile.gif

The law allows collectors of art to own them (if I understood the law correctly). But you guys need to get together and change the law. I have made good progress in WA, but I had the advantage of silencers being legal to own, just illegal to use here.

You elect people to represent you in the legislature, so you deserve the laws you get. I am full of free advice that is worth what you pay for it, but it is working well in WA so far. E-mail me if you are interested. [email protected]

Ranb

Here is what I posted in SilencerTalk. http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=67404

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=97B.031

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">97B.031 USE AND POSSESSION OF FIREARMS.
Subdivision 1.Firearms and ammunition that may be used to take big game.

Subd. 4.Silencers prohibited.
Except as provided in section 609.66, subdivision 1h, a person may not own or possess a silencer for a firearm or a firearm equipped to have a silencer attached.</div></div>
https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?year=2010&id=609.66

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">609.66 DANGEROUS WEAPONS.
Subd. 1a.Felony crimes; silencers prohibited; reckless discharge.
(a) Except as otherwise provided in subdivision 1h, whoever does any of the following is guilty of a felony and may be sentenced as provided in paragraph (b):
(1) sells or has in possession any device designed to silence or muffle the discharge of a firearm;
Subd. 1h.Silencers; authorized for law enforcement and wildlife control purposes.
(a) Notwithstanding subdivision 1a, paragraph (a), clause (1), licensed peace officers may use devices designed to silence or muffle the discharge of a firearm for tactical emergency response operations. Tactical emergency response operations include execution of high risk search and arrest warrants, incidents of terrorism, hostage rescue, and any other tactical deployments involving high risk circumstances. The chief law enforcement officer of a law enforcement agency that has the need to use silencing devices must establish and enforce a written policy governing the use of the devices.
(b) Notwithstanding subdivision 1a, paragraph (a), clause (1), until July 1, 2011, an enforcement officer, as defined in section 97A.015, subdivision 18, a wildlife area manager, an employee designated under section 84.0835, or a person acting under contract with the commissioner of natural resources, at specific times and locations that are authorized by the commissioner of natural resources may use devices designed to silence or muffle the discharge of a firearm for wildlife control operations that require stealth. If the commissioner determines that the use of silencing devices is necessary under this paragraph, the commissioner must:
(1) establish and enforce a written policy governing the use, possession, and transportation of the devices;
(2) limit the number of the silencing devices maintained by the Department of Natural Resources to <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">no more than ten</span></span>;

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Subd. 2.Exceptions.Nothing in this section prohibits the possession of the articles mentioned by museums or collectors of art or for other lawful purposes of public exhibition.</span></span>

History: 1963 c 753 art 1 s 609.66; 1971 c 23 s 66; 1983 c 359 s 89; 1986 c 444; 1990 c 439 s 3,4; 1991 c 279 s 33; 1993 c 326 art 1 s 15-17; 1994 c 576 s 49; 1994 c 636 art 3 s 18-21; 1995 c 186 s 101; 1996 c 408 art 4 s 10; 1998 c 367 art 2 s 22; 2003 c 17 s 2; 2003 c 28 art 2 s 2; 1Sp2003 c 2 art 8 s 10,11; 2004 c 228 art 1 s 72; 2005 c 83 s 1,2; 2005 c 102 s 2; 2010 c 268 s 1 </div></div>

I have been trying to find out exactly what the words "firearm equipped to have a silencer attached" mean. Does this mean any barrel with threads on it is prohibited? I used to live in MN, but no more. WA has a way to go before we can call ourselves more gun friendly than MN though.

Ranb