• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressor load development vs muzzle brake load development?

7magsavage

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2012
I usually shoot suppressed but occasionally I would like to shoot with my brake to cut down on the overall length of my rifle. Problem is that since I work up my loads with my suppressor on, I find out when I take the can off and put the brake on my groups go to shit. Do I need to work up a load for my brake as well as a load with the can? How do you guys do it when you want to switch muzzle devices?

Well it seems like you answered your own question. It shoots shitty when the can is off so yes, it sounds like you need to retune your load for it.

I will shoot a group of 5 after I develop to see if its alright without the can just in case I ever need to, thats really the only time I shoot without my can unless I just forget to put it back on. Thats always a surprise o_O

Reactions: Patriots1884
I've never had a rifle shoot a load well suppressed but not unsuppressed. Had a rifle not shoot well suppressed but that was because of the shitty AAC 18 tooth suppressor mount, not the rifle or load.

I shoot better suppressed though, are you sure it isn't the shooter?

What kind of brake? Sure it isn't an issue with the brake shouldering? ES/SD stay good?

I’ve done all my load development with a can and never have I seen any drop deterioration by taking it off. I would test ES/SD with and without to see what’s up. Maybe it’s possible you’ve found a scatter node the can likes. Positive Suppressor Compensation :unsure:o_O

i do the opposite, all load dev with a brake and when i put my Omega or Hybrid on, all loads still shoot sub moa...they may open or tighten a little, but its not enough that i care

Reactions: BravoSierra
Also, developing a load with the brake first protects your can, just in case a new bullet is not stabilizing. Chances are slim that you'd have an issue, but still a possibility.

I am using an RWS brake. Fits fine as well as I can tell. The can is a TB 30P-1.
Never tried to check ES with and without the can.