• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressor manufacturers that clean their customer’s cans?

carbonbased

💥💥💥💥
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2018
Minnesota
So I’m considering a sealed .30 cal or .223 can. I have a few user serviceable cans already and would like to try a sealed unit.

But I don’t want to clean it because cleaning suppressors sort of sucks.

What suppressor manufacturers clean their own cans that customers send them? I believe TBAC does, one free cleaning a year. Anyone else?

Bueller? Bueller?

Got an email into Dead Air. Going to email others and report back.

TBAC makes the best precision rifle suppressors there are and does a free cleaning per year, so why even look elsewhere?

FWIW I've had my Ultra 7 for 6 years now and it easily has 20K rounds on it from a combo of bolt guns and gas guns everything from 223 to 300WM and it's never been cleaned or needed to be cleaned. I've cleaned the threads and mating surfaces of the can and mounts every so often and thats it.

I just went and weighed my can and the scale bounced between 11.9oz and 12oz so at 12oz its got 2.3oz of carbon at the base weight of 9.7oz per TBAC's specs. That's not much.

Last edited:
Yep, put a foam earplug in the end of a TBAC can, fill it with CLR, let it sit. Repeat as necessary if it's really gunked up. Couldn't be easier.

I had one that was really fouled up, so I put it in the ultrasonic with CLR. Magic! I've only had to do that once with a centerfire can I'd put thousands of rounds of .22LR through. Just the normal soak in the first line should be more than adequate.

Yep, put a foam earplug in the end of a TBAC can, fill it with CLR, let it sit. Repeat as necessary if it's really gunked up. Couldn't be easier.

I had one that was really fouled up, so I put it in the ultrasonic with CLR. Magic! I've only had to do that once with a centerfire can I'd put thousands of rounds of .22LR through. Just the normal soak in the first line should be more than adequate.
This works for me too. If you do it every few hundred rounds they clean up in a snap. @carbonbased this works on any full Ti suppressor.

You can clean a suppressor by either using an ultrasonic cleaner or dipping it and letting it soak in solvent.

If either are too hard, then I think firearms may be too complicated and dangerous to be around.

You can clean a suppressor by either using an ultrasonic cleaner or dipping it and letting it soak in solvent.

If either are too hard, then I think firearms may be too complicated and dangerous to be around.
Ah DeathBeforeDismemberment, always with so delicate turn of phrase. You are the lemon to my scuffed knee, the braked 338 to my ears, the noxious fart cloud to my nose, found floating in the night air…

💨 always a pleasure

Others, thanks for the cleaning tips, I know how to clean a suppressor, done it before (with a bunch of CLR). I get it.

Not being snarky in this latter reply. I’m just being lazy and wondering if any other manufacturers have followed TBAC’s lead. A lead that is pretty market-savvy, savvy?

Last edited:
Ah DeathBeforeDismemberment, always with so delicate a phrase. You are the lemon to my scuffed knee, the braked 338 to my ears, the noxious fart cloud to my nose, found floating in the night air…

💨 always a pleasure

Others, thanks for the cleaning tips, I know how to clean a suppressor, done it before (with a bunch of CLR). I get it.

Not being snarky in this latter reply. I’m just being lazy and wondering if any other manufacturers have followed TBAC’s lead. A lead that is pretty market-savvy, savvy?

Pretty sure silencerco and Q will tell you to go F yourself and buy someone else's can lol

TBAC makes the best precision rifle suppressors there are and does a free cleaning per year, so why even look elsewhere?
Did not know this. That's pretty cool. I haven't shot but maybe 100 rounds through mine so I'm nowhere near needing a cleaning but its good to know.

Reactions: carbonbased
Did not know this. That's pretty cool. I haven't shot but maybe 100 rounds through mine so I'm nowhere near needing a cleaning but its good to know.
I’m doing a goddamn public service announcement here! Lol

Pretty sure silencerco and Q will tell you to go F yourself and buy someone else's can lol

SiCo will probably laugh at you if you asked them to clean it however they are pretty much guaranteed to re-core it if you go through the hassle of sending it into them.

Ah DeathBeforeDismemberment, always with so delicate turn of phrase. You are the lemon to my scuffed knee, the braked 338 to my ears, the noxious fart cloud to my nose, found floating in the night air…

💨 always a pleasure

Well when in doubt you could always ask your husband for help :)

I would go thunderbeast personally, unless you need a low blow back can for SWS like the OSS.

FWIW I've had my Ultra 7 for 6 years now and it easily has 20K rounds on it from a combo of bolt guns and gas guns everything from 223 to 300WM and it's never been cleaned or needed to be cleaned. I've cleaned the threads and mating surfaces of the can and mounts every so often and thats it.

I just went and weighed my can and the scale bounced between 11.9oz and 12oz so at 12oz its got 2.3oz of carbon at the base weight of 9.7oz per TBAC's specs. That's not much.
We recommend cleaning your suppressor when you reach 1 oz of carbon build up. If you allow too much buildup those initial layers see enough heat and pressure cycles that they become extremely dense, making them more difficult to clean out. 1 oz of carbon can usually be cleaned out in 2 or 3 CLR soaks. 3-4 oz of carbon can take up to 20 because those initial layers are so much harder. The sound performance degradation is subtle over time as buildup occurs. We had an Ultra 7 come back that had 10.5 oz of carbon build up and it metered 20 dB louder vs a clean can. Another can that had 3 oz of carbon metered 2 dB louder.

I was worried about my omegas cerakote finish my first time cleaning it but then I realized it has an outside sleeve that you can screw off and then the entire core can be dunked in whatever. I have a tall whiskey glass from some ski resort and the omega core its in it perfectly, fill it up with clr and you can watch it boil up and around and then once the reaction dies down see how much is getting deposited in the glass, its pretty cool.

I was worried about my omegas cerakote finish my first time cleaning it but then I realized it has an outside sleeve that you can screw off and then the entire core can be dunked in whatever. I have a tall whiskey glass from some ski resort and the omega core its in it perfectly, fill it up with clr and you can watch it boil up and around and then once the reaction dies down see how much is getting deposited in the glass, its pretty cool.
which omega model? I just took a look and can’t tell if the outer part of any model is a sleeve.

which omega model? I just took a look and can’t tell if the outer part of any model is a sleeve.

So it's not meant to come off per say. Omegas and hybrids outter sleeves are epoxied on.....

With that said I have clr bathed with a ultrasonic the shit out of mine and cerakote looks fine

Last edited:
Reactions: kthomas
I haven't shot but maybe 100 rounds through mine so I'm nowhere near needing a cleaning but its good to know.
As TBAC posted, don't let it go too long. I clean every 100-200 rounds and it's very easy to clean. Let it go >500 and it takes significantly longer.

The normal 30cal one. You take the end cap, which is into the sandwiching the serialized sleeve onto the core, off and then the sleeve will unscrew off the front, the sleeves attachment threads to the core are at the back of the can where the spanner wrench goes. Strap wrench/ I use wood blocks in a vice, and then Ill just put the spanner on and smack it with some small fast taps with a hammer and itll break free and unscrew freely.
Ive found I dont need any thread goop or epoxy to reassemble, proper torque holds it together fine.
1667488498957.png

So it's not meant to come off per say. Omegas and hybrids outter sleeves are epoxied on.....

With that said I have clr bathed with a ultrasonic the shit out of mine and cerakote looks fine
It still breaks free pretty easy and screws right off the core.

The normal 30cal one. You take the end cap, which is into the sandwiching the serialized sleeve onto the core, off and then the sleeve will unscrew off the front, the sleeves attachment threads to the core are at the back of the can where the spanner wrench goes. Strap wrench/ I use wood blocks in a vice, and then Ill just put the spanner on and smack it with some small fast taps with a hammer and itll break free and unscrew freely.
Ive found I dont need any thread goop or epoxy to reassemble, proper torque holds it together fine.
View attachment 7990354

It still breaks free pretty easy and screws right off the core.

I'm not saying it doesn't but it's not meant to come off easy.... allegedly....per silencerco.

Todd at dead air gave me an epoxy to try and it's held it through some FA surges the irony 🤣. @Mageever

Reactions: spife7980
I'm not saying it doesn't but it's not meant to come off easy.... allegedly....per silencerco.

Todd at dead air gave me an epoxy to try and it's held it through some FA surges the irony 🤣. @Mageever
Lol. Good times.

I wholeheartedly endorse what Kurtis said about cleaning with some CLR pretty early on. Within an ounce or two of weight gain is the way to go.

Note that CLR will attack nitrided parts if left in long enough, at high enough heat, or in an ultrasonic bath. Only use it on Ti and SS.

We recommend cleaning your suppressor when you reach 1 oz of carbon build up. If you allow too much buildup those initial layers see enough heat and pressure cycles that they become extremely dense, making them more difficult to clean out. 1 oz of carbon can usually be cleaned out in 2 or 3 CLR soaks. 3-4 oz of carbon can take up to 20 because those initial layers are so much harder. The sound performance degradation is subtle over time as buildup occurs. We had an Ultra 7 come back that had 10.5 oz of carbon build up and it metered 20 dB louder vs a clean can. Another can that had 3 oz of carbon metered 2 dB louder.
Does clr hurt any part of the TBAC cans? I have an ultra 9. Haven’t cleaned it yet. Can you just plug the end and fill with clr over and over til clean?

Last edited:
I could of sworn that Zak, on more than one occasion, recommended cleaning once weight was 3 oz over new.

One ounce is a bit startling to me.

I could of sworn that Zak, on more than one occasion, recommended cleaning once weight was 3 oz over new.

One ounce is a bit startling to me.
3 oz is where cleaning gets more difficult because those initial layers are more difficult to get out. The 1oz suggestion is more recent and what I do with my personal cans. At 1 oz it only takes a cycle or two of CLR. 3 oz can take 10-15 cycles or more so it's less work if you clean at 1 oz. Typically and in my personal cans it takes around 1000-1500 rounds of 6 creedmoor to get there and around 750 rounds of 7 rem mag. Those are my handloads and it will vary from person to person and also what suppressor you are using.

Reactions: BurtG and Baron23
3 oz is where cleaning gets more difficult because those initial layers are more difficult to get out. The 1oz suggestion is more recent and what I do with my personal cans. At 1 oz it only takes a cycle or two of CLR. 3 oz can take 10-15 cycles or more so it's less work if you clean at 1 oz. Typically and in my personal cans it takes around 1000-1500 rounds of 6 creedmoor to get there and around 750 rounds of 7 rem mag. Those are my handloads and it will vary from person to person and also what suppressor you are using.
Just to clarify, it takes 1000-1500 ends of 6cm to get to 1 oz or 3 oz in your guns.

And yes, I do understand that there are a lot of factors that will cause variation in end count, just trying to clarify your reference.

Thanks!

Reactions: carbonbased
Just to clarify, it takes 1000-1500 ends of 6cm to get to 1 oz or 3 oz in your guns.

And yes, I do understand that there are a lot of factors that will cause variation in end count, just trying to clarify your reference.

Thanks!
Sorry, the 1000-1500 rounds of 6 creedmoor gets me to 1 oz of carbon

Reactions: Baron23
Thoughts on the suppressor cleaning system ?

Thoughts on the suppressor cleaning system ?

We did play with a peristaltic pump on a couple of our endurance cans that we intentionally let fill with carbon. That did make a difference on cans that were 6oz+ over but it still took a couple weeks to get them clean. The peristaltic pump just increased the amount that we got out per cleaning cycle. The biggest downside is it tends to get CLR pretty much everywhere within a 1.5' radius of the pump and can. If you type this into amazon, that's a cheap chinese pump that works pretty well.

Peristaltic dosing pump 12V Kamoer variable speed small water pump with pump head For Lab chemical experiment,KCP PRO2 Norprene tube:3.2mm×6.4mm,40-210ml/min,with power adapter​

Have the can half submerged in CLR, put the suction side hose outside of the can to pump CLR back into the can. The other hose can be positioned towards the bottom. Still plug the exit end with an ear plug and put the exit end down.

Reactions: BurtG and kthomas
We did play with a peristaltic pump on a couple of our endurance cans that we intentionally let fill with carbon. That did make a difference on cans that were 6oz+ over but it still took a couple weeks to get them clean. The peristaltic pump just increased the amount that we got out per cleaning cycle. The biggest downside is it tends to get CLR pretty much everywhere within a 1.5' radius of the pump and can. If you type this into amazon, that's a cheap chinese pump that works pretty well.

Peristaltic dosing pump 12V Kamoer variable speed small water pump with pump head For Lab chemical experiment,KCP PRO2 Norprene tube:3.2mm×6.4mm,40-210ml/min,with power adapter​

Have the can half submerged in CLR, put the suction side hose outside of the can to pump CLR back into the can. The other hose can be positioned towards the bottom. Still plug the exit end with an ear plug and put the exit end down.
I might be a little dense here, but bear with me. two questions:

1) Are you saying the high-pressure Bore-Tech Lance product sprays CLR in a 1.5’ radius, or that the pump you linked to does that?

I sort of assume the Bore-Tech thing would make a way bigger mess than a 1.5’ radius, and that the relatively low flowing pump you linked to would make basically no mess, so I’m confused (but maybe I’ve figured out the latter part out, see later commentary).

2) Also, with the Amazon pump, your description is a little vague. Sounds like you’re saying:
  1. Plug endcap/muzzle end of suppressor with ear plug
  2. Put suppressor ear plug side down into container
  3. Fill container so suppressor is half submerged
  4. Put suction hose somewhere flopping around outside of suppressor and in the solution
  5. Output hose is…somewhere towards the “bottom” … of the suppressor? Like snaking the hose through the barrel thread end of the suppressor, down to near the earplug (the relative bottom)?
If my guess is correct, then the CLR burbles out of the barrel threaded end of the suppressor kind of like a weak whale’s blowhole?

I guess the blowhole technique would make a small mess, like your 1.5’ radius comment.

Sounds like the blowhole technique leaves a lot of loose carbon debris inside of the suppressor. Probably doesn’t matter, cleaning efficiently-wise. Maybe.

Let me know if I’m guessing correctly here.

Last edited:
I might be a little dense here, but bear with me. two questions:

1) Are you saying the high-pressure Bore-Tech Lance product sprays CLR in a 1.5’ radius, or that the pump you linked to does that?

I sort of assume the Bore-Tech thing would make a way bigger mess than a 1.5’ radius, and that the relatively low flowing pump you linked to would make basically no mess, so I’m confused (but maybe I’ve figured out the latter part out, see later commentary).

2) Also, with the Amazon pump, your description is a little vague. Sounds like you’re saying:
  1. Plug endcap/muzzle end of suppressor with ear plug
  2. Put suppressor ear plug side down into container
  3. Fill container so suppressor is half submerged
  4. Put suction hose somewhere flopping around outside of suppressor and in the solution
  5. Output hose is…somewhere towards the “bottom” … of the suppressor? Like snaking the hose through the barrel thread end of the suppressor, down to near the earplug (the relative bottom)?
If my guess is correct, then the CLR blows out of the barrel threaded end of the suppressor like a whale’s blowhole?

I guess the blowhole technique would make a small mess, like your 1.5’ radius comment.

Sounds like the blowhole technique leaves a lot of loose carbon debris inside of the suppressor.

Let me know if I’m guessing correctly here.

The pressure washer Lance is just water, defenitly a big mess, do it outside.

The small pump has a very low flow rat. Clr and carbon bubbles out of the top (thread end) of the can, no mess there. But it seems to create a mist that corrodes everything nearby.

The pressure washer Lance is just water, defenitly a big mess, do it outside.

The small pump has a very low flow rat. Clr and carbon bubbles out of the top (thread end) of the can, no mess there. But it seems to create a mist that corrodes everything nearby.
I thought the whole idea behind the boretech kit was that you use their cleaners in it? Therefore it not being just water. It's definitely interested me but I haven't tried it.

I thought the whole idea behind the boretech kit was that you use their cleaners in it? Therefore it not being just water. It's definitely interested me but I haven't tried it.
I haven't used their system. We have a homemade pressure washer attachment at tbac. I think boretchs plan is to use their cleaner and flush with the pressurewasher.

Reactions: BurtG