• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Suppressor mounting preferences and advice

Raffy

Fair Weather Recreationalist
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2020
Southern Utah
Hello there Gents,
I'm looking to take advantage of others experience with suppressor mounts, because I have none on my own.

First some background-
I am about to order my first suppressor. I do plan on getting more in the future, but it's going to take a while to do that...years... but I want to maintain some universality in regards to a mounting system. It's going to be a Thunderbeast Magnus or dominus. Other brands later are on the table as well. The use case is strictly bolt gun use for target, hunting, and match use, with the potential to dabble in ar platforms later, but currently have no plans for that so honestly in my mind ar platforms use is not a concern.
I have and thoroughly enjoy multiple area 419 hellfire brakes and am in the process of converting the rest over that currently aren't. I like the ability to take a brake on or off without much hassle if I want to shoot suppressed and then switch to a different rifle and shoot that other one suppressed, ie mix and match however/whenever. I don't like installing brakes constantly so that is part of the draw to the area 419 system.

The question-
With the above background in mind is there another (read: better) way to mount my cans to the end on my boomsticks than the area 419 system? So far Area 419's stuff checks all my boxes, I think. The problem is I'm new to suppressors and I honestly don't even know if I know about all the boxes to check!
I know there was a lot of chatter when tbac said they were adding the hub mount option. Area 419 is a cb mount option if I understand correctly.

So TLDR hub vs cb? Area 419 vs other? What and why?

To be clear I am currently leaning in to area 419 pretty hard, but don't want to make the wrong choice in the long run if a different mounting system would serve my purposes better. Thanks!

My recommendation is CB, or if you want more, the SR. CB is better than DT because the lockup on the tapered shoulder on the brake is better than the 90-degree DT shoulder, and it stays tight better. The main reason to get SR over CB is if you need absolute retention during high vibration situations (like traveling in a helicopter or just chucking the rifle in the back of a truck and needing it to be 100% tight 10 hours later)-- or full-auto (which is enabled on the Dominus and Magnus when used with the SR mount).

The reason we recommend CB/SR over HUB or A419 is that when we are the sole source of both parts (the brake on the rifle and the mount on the can), then we can better ensure the fit it correct and we are on the hook if a problem between those two parts causes a problem. If you use a third-party mount or muzzle device and it causes a problem (which it has-- just search the archives here), then that's out of our hands.

My recommendation is CB, or if you want more, the SR. CB is better than DT because the lockup on the tapered shoulder on the brake is better than the 90-degree DT shoulder, and it stays tight better. The main reason to get SR over CB is if you need absolute retention during high vibration situations (like traveling in a helicopter or just chucking the rifle in the back of a truck and needing it to be 100% tight 10 hours later)-- or full-auto (which is enabled on the Dominus and Magnus when used with the SR mount).

The reason we recommend CB/SR over HUB or A419 is that when we are the sole source of both parts (the brake on the rifle and the mount on the can), then we can better ensure the fit it correct and we are on the hook if a problem between those two parts causes a problem. If you use a third-party mount or muzzle device and it causes a problem (which it has-- just search the archives here), then that's out of our hands.
I can see the benefits of those points for sure. The SR system looks awesome. The only things holding me back are the increased weight, and how much I like the hellfire brakes and that they can be a universal adaptor system to share on other rifles. If the weight savings were negligible I would probably just bring a wrench to the field and range with me and swap the good old fashioned way!

I mean you can use that system if you want and we do make a HUB version for people who want to use that. SR is overkill for almost everyone unless you are putting it on a MK18-- CB is definitely fine for bolt riles.

Most people do not shoot unsuppressed once they have a can, just something to think about, with respect to swapping muzzle devices all the time.

Reactions: jb0311
I think eventually I will get to a 1:1 ratio of cans to rifles, but it's going to be a while until I'm there. In the mean time I think I'm going to try to shoot suppressed as much as possible so there will a lot of swapping for the first 2-4 years

The cb brake mitigates recoil decently. Used it on my 6BR for a little bit until I went to the area 419 hellfire brake and adapter system.

I ran the Area 419 CB adapter for years without issue on a plethora of barrels because the adapters are cheap, doesn’t back off or get loose, and the can doesn’t carbon lock to the adapter. Easy to swap the can between every rifle you own.

Also is there a thread protector for the suppressor threads available for the tbac adaptor while the can is off to keep me from buggering up the threads?

The CB brake is pretty comparable to other brakes of its size-- some better some worse. Brakes that are also suppressor mounts are limited in their brake ability by having to fit inside the can.

Not really rocks. More fine dirt in my area that gets on and in EVERYTHING. If anyone is familiar with the term moon dust that's pretty much what it is

If you are already invested in the A419 brakes and want to shoot the same rifles suppressed and with brakes, then you may as well stay in the A419 ecosystem.

Every mounting system has its nuances, and none are better than others - they just do some things better and some things worse, and it's up to you to decide what trade-offs you want to make.

I've always had issues with A419 brakes getting locked/stuck onto the adapter, so it's not a system that I prefer. Others love it. If it works for you and you want to continue to use the A419 brakes that you have already invested in, then I see no reason to change.

If you plan on sticking with Thunderbeast suppressors, then you have their CB brakes which I understand are good. You can use the SR system if you plan on using a firing schedule that would benefit from secondary retention.

HUB makes sense if you want to have cross compatibility between different suppressor brands and want to do a bit of "mix and match". Most of my suppressors are HUB and I use Rearden MFG mounts which I really like. I never really shoot unsuppressed anymore, so I'm not worried about how effective the brakes are. I really like the taper before the thread, it truly works to keep carbon out, and the Rearden stuff is high quality.

There's many ways you can go. I think it depends on the following:

- Do you want your mounts and thus rifles to have cross compatibility with other brands, or are you going to stay with TBAC?
- What is firing schedule going to be? Will these see use on FA's or semi's doing mag dumps?
- Will you also shoot a decent amount without suppressors, and desire a brake that's really effective (like your A419's)?

Area 419 cb adaptors are threaded in front of the taper correct?

The points you mentioned at the bottom are answered as follows-
-Cross brand compatibility.
-Not FA or big mag dumps so no SR requirements I understand.
-Shooting both suppressed and unsuppressed

i'd stick with the area 419 system. I switched all my cans to the hellfire universal adapters and they've been great. better than the mix of ASR and direct thread I was using previously

There is a lot to consider when purchasing a suppressor. Are you looking to keep things as short as possible or is a little extra length OK? Are you looking to keep things a light as possible or any extra weight isn't going to matter? Do you want to bury some of the suppressor under a handguard on an AR or will it always be fully exposed? I bring this up because if you wish to bury it at all any suppressor with a collar or locking mechanism that needs to be turned after being installed will be extremely hard or impossible to get to if buried under a handguard. If not going for caliber specific cans, how large do you need to go? Small is not a concern as smaller will always work on a larger suppressor, it just won't be a quiet. If a mounting brake is your mount, are you willing to put up the the blast from the brake or is there a blast shield that you can use? The lack or a brake or the use of a blast shield may make shooters next to you happier. Is return to zero important? It has already been mentioned about tapered mounting surfaces sealing better but is worth thinking about, is it available or not with your choice of suppressor? Universal style suppressors have compromises but an advantage is you don't have to wait almost another year to fit a rifle or pistol you just bought last week. Are you ready to go through the cleaning regime for a one piece suppressor or would you be more comfortable with being able to disassemble your suppressor for better cleaning? There is a lot to consider.

Reactions: Raffy
Area 419 cb adaptors are threaded in front of the taper correct?

The points you mentioned at the bottom are answered as follows-
-Cross brand compatibility.
-Not FA or big mag dumps so no SR requirements I understand.
-Shooting both suppressed and unsuppressed

My understanding with the Area419 suppressor adapters is that they don't actually use the taper. Others can confirm.

You won't be able to use TBAC muzzle brakes with other suppressors, they are a proprietary thread to their system. However if you use the A419 system, you gain back that cross compatibility.

Based on your criteria, in my opinion I would stick with the A419 system.

Reactions: Raffy and YotaEer
You won't be able to use TBAC muzzle brakes with other suppressors, they are a proprietary thread to their system. However if you use the A419 system, you gain back that cross compatibility.
This is not true. Energetic Armament makes an adapter for HUB suppressors:

Very nicely made, titanium. I have one.

Mounted on my Liberty Precision Machine Anthem S:
original_23c45ebb-2b98-4fd1-9409-7a3024b117f4_20230131_150430.jpg

Mounted on another one of my cans with CB Brake inside of it:

20230126_123817.jpg

Mount on the right with TBAC CB Brake:
20230126_123049.jpg

Reactions: Raffy and kthomas
What's the draw for the hub over cb? Other than more suppressors available with it from other companies

My understanding with the Area419 suppressor adapters is that they don't actually use the taper. Others can confirm.

Based on your criteria, in my opinion I would stick with the A419 system.
Correct, the flats on the barrel and can mount touch, the taper on the barrel mount interfaces with the oring in the can mount to keep the soot off the threads and surface.

Reactions: Raffy and kthomas
Correct, the flats on the barrel and can mount touch, the taper on the barrel mount interfaces with the oring in the can mount to keep the soot off the threads and surface.
How well does the system seal the carbon away from the threads? How bad is the job of keeping it maintained vs a tapered system in front of the threads?

How well does the system seal the carbon away from the threads? How bad is the job of keeping it maintained vs a tapered system in front of the threads?
Does a fair job I’d say. I’ve never had any issues with it. The hex on the end builds up but I just chip it off each barrel cleaning.

Anyone having used the Area 419 system, are there any shortcomings you have observed that you like in other systems better?

Does a fair job I’d say. I’ve never had any issues with it. The hex on the end builds up but I just chip it off each barrel cleaning.
Spife are you running your can on your barrel the entire time between cleaning without taking it off? How many rounds are you going in between?

Spife are you running your can on your barrel the entire time between cleaning without taking it off? How many rounds are you going in between?
I take it off after every session. Clean every few hundred. You don’t have the clean the hex though. It just looks nicer. No idea how much build up it would take to impede function.

If I had a can on any rifle right now it wouldn't fit in my safe so I guess I would be forced to remove it every time regardless but that's good to know. Thanks

I have to as well. But in addition to that I play musical chairs with cans so they move around more still but they all have the 419 system so it’s cool.