• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Suppressor Mounts: Weight and Length

rybe390

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2017
Hey folks!

I wanted to provide a summary of some mounting options out on the market for HUB or 1.375x24 threaded suppressors. There are a ton of systems out on the market, each with their own spec, weights, and lengths, and I wanted to highlight some of what I've found through experience, to help inform purchase decisions. Hopefully this sparks some discussion or encourages some thought about your own setups, and why you choose what you did.

I will say that I am currently switching to rearden atlas for my sdn6, coming from keymo and hellfire. This is temporary until I have a dedicated bolt gun can, but I want to share between bolt guns and gas guns...until my kgm r30 clears. Then it's back to hellfire for bolt guns for me.

Holler! Photos below for you visual learners.

Mount overview
System weight: muzzle device and bravo spec adapter weight.
Length added to suppressor: adapter length when added to suppressor.
Length added from barrel shoulder to rear of suppressor: length of total system when muzzle device is inside adapter.

Keymo.
System weight: 8.4oz.
Length added to suppressor: 1.15".
Length added from barrel shoulder to rear of suppressor: 1.32"

Area 419 Hellfire.
System weight: 3.3oz.
Length added to suppressor: 0.35".
Length added from barrel shoulder to rear of suppressor: 0.35

Plan B spec/Rearden Atlas.
System weight: 4.4oz.
Length added to suppressor: 0.5".
Length added from barrel shoulder to rear of suppressor: 0.65".

Keymo Pros.
Good lockup.
Industry support.

Keymo cons.
Heavy.
Long.

Area 419 hellfire pros.
Lightest overall.
Minimal length added.
Ability to run highly effective muzzle brakes when un suppressed.
Amazing return to zero.
Adapters for nearly every suppressor made.
Best for precision rifle applications.

Area 419 cons.
Looks goofy AF on small diameter barrels.
Limited muzzle device options.
Muzzle device is separate from suppressor mount.

Plan B/Rearden Atlas pros.
Light and compact for QD style system. Solid overall system.
Usable muzzle devices when un suppressed.
Effective taper mount.
Lots of aftermarket support.
Affordable.
Threads feel buttery.

Plan B/Rearden Atlas Cons
Q.

Keymo
PXL_20230123_221444821.jpg

Hellfire
PXL_20230123_230103678.jpg

Rearden fhd
PXL_20230123_215647910.jpg

Q cherry bomb
PXL_20230123_215654117.jpg

Keymo
PXL_20230123_221632335.jpg
hellfire
PXL_20230123_230216087.jpg
rearden atlas and rearden fhd
PXL_20230126_003659596.jpg

Rearden atlas and q cherry bomb
PXL_20230126_003840554.jpg

Thank you for posting this. Useful post. Be good to share your experience with their performance as well. Anecdotal is better than theoretical.

I've only used ASR, TBAC CB, & Rearden.

TBAC CB has been flawless on 4 bolt actions for many years.

Have used Rearden for less than a year on 1 gun but no problems so far at all. Nice machine work and nitriding, great finish.

Not a fan of ASR at all. Heavy and seems to trap a lot of carbon on the two guns I had it on. Stays put though.

I've had issues with direct thread loosening with Silencerco rear end parts for DT (2 samples). Contacted them and got NO help whatsoever other than stupid suggestions like "screw it on tighter" or "buy this ASR part to replace our DT part". Not buying SiCo again, ever. For multiple reasons.

Reactions: kodak45
Area 419 hellfire pros.
Lightest overall.
Minimal length added.
Ability to run highly effective muzzle brakes when un suppressed.
Amazing return to zero.
Adapters for nearly every suppressor made.
Best for precision rifle applications.

Curious what about the system makes it have an amazing return to zero?

Second, best for precision rifle applications? I have other preferences... In that I stick with TBAC for these. I suppose some folks may see it this way because of the brake system? Any other reasons?

Last edited:
Curious what about the system makes it have an amazing return to zero?

Second, best for precision rifle applications? I have other preferences... I suppose some folks may see it this way because of the brake system? Any other reasons?
Return to zero: thinking that it acta essentially as a direct thread, but with way more surface engagement. The hellfire muzzle device is like 1" OD, and all of that seats against the adapter inside the suppressor. It's like a bigger DT with more surface engagement.

Precision rifle applications: I don't think it's great for carbines. But for bolt guns, Being able to go from big bad suppressor to big bad brake without a weight penalty is huge, when most other mounts are big bad suppressor to medium okay at best brake with a weight penalty.

Reactions: Wall_Element
Thank you for posting this. Useful post. Be good to share your experience with their performance as well. Anecdotal is better than theoretical.

I've only used ASR, TBAC CB, & Rearden.

TBAC CB has been flawless on 4 bolt actions for many years.

Have used Rearden for less than a year on 1 gun but no problems so far at all. Nice machine work and nitriding, great finish.

Not a fan of ASR at all. Heavy and seems to trap a lot of carbon on the two guns I had it on. Stays put though.

I've had issues with direct thread loosening with Silencerco rear end parts for DT (2 samples). Contacted them and got NO help whatsoever other than stupid suggestions like "screw it on tighter" or "buy this ASR part to replace our DT part". Not buying SiCo again, ever. For multiple reasons.
Thanks!

Experience with keymo:
Got stuck when hot
Good return to zero
Very usable muzzle devices

Experience with hellfire:
Holy crap my suppressor got shorter
Awesome return to zero
I never really shot with the brake only

Experience with rearden/plan B
Too soon to tell
Enjoying removing 1.5" and 2oz from the muzzle of my carbine
Taper mount seems exceptionally smooth and tight

Would be good to include the Griffin Plan A as well. It's not as nice, taper mount wise, as the Rearden but is even shorter and lighter I believe.

Reactions: Bluedog82
TBAC taper mount using the EA HUB mount vs Q system (rearden + lpm).

Projection inside the can with the rearden atlas / lpm flash hider combo is almost exactly 1 inch, EA TBAC mount + TBAC CB Brake is 1.31".

EA mount adds a mere
0.29" OAL to the can, rearden atlas is 0.5".

TBAC system has the taper after the threads, Q before the threads.

20230126_123049.jpg
20230126_124212.jpg

20230126_124153.jpg

20230126_122504.jpg

20230126_123817.jpg
20230126_123602.jpg

Both are compact, elegant systems that achieve the same goal with slightly different designs. I think the choice comes down to user preference on these.

Last edited:
Reactions: rybe390

Projection inside the can with the rearden atlas / lpm flash hider combo is almost exactly 1 inch, EA TBAC mount + TBAC CB Brake is 1.31".

EA mount adds a mere

View attachment 8058457View attachment 8058458
View attachment 8058486
View attachment 8058488
View attachment 8058459View attachment 8058460

Both are compact, elegant systems that achieve the same goal with slightly different designs. I think the choice comes down to user preference on these.
That EA hub CB mount looks nearly perfect, hot dang. Thanks for adding to the thread with this!

I do agree, at a certain point, you're splitting very fine hairs between systems. I think any of the taper mount style systems get you repeatable POI, light.weight, and minimal length add.

Reactions: Obi-WanKannoli
We will have DLC coated titanium CB-to-HUB adapters available soon, concurrent with the second batch of Fly45's.
Zach, can you offer any explanation as to why one would choose to put the taper before or after the threads on a suppressor mount?

EA mount adds a mere

View attachment 8058457View attachment 8058458
View attachment 8058486
View attachment 8058488
View attachment 8058459View attachment 8058460

What does EA stand for? Searching EA hub mount didn't find anything.

Zach, can you offer any explanation as to why one would choose to put the taper before or after the threads on a suppressor mount?
Hi,

Taper in front of threads (e.g. SR): sealing surface isolates threads from carbon fouling; requires larger and/or longer rear section ("above taper") to accomodate threads; suppressor receptacle must be a little larger to accommodate threads at the larger OD

Threads in front of taper (e.g. CB, BA): carbon ingress to threads possible; brake can be shorter given same "brake part" on the front of the brake; largest OD section of brake can be very short (eg, rear of CB brake); receptacle in the suppressor can be smaller. This setup is also a lot stiffer due to the geometry of the lockup of the threads and the taper. In cases with a lot of pull force (sdfsfasjhfsf50sdfsfkjsf), the suppressor will stay on the shoulder better.

The ME's might have some more subtle points to add, but my takeaway is that threads in front of taper is more mechanically sound (stiffer and stronger) while the main advantage of taper in front of threads is that the threads (and locking mechanism, if present) are isolated from carbon (assuming it stays locked up per my last two sentences above)

Reactions: Obi-WanKannoli
Hi,

Taper in front of threads (e.g. SR): sealing surface isolates threads from carbon fouling; requires larger and/or longer rear section ("above taper") to accomodate threads; suppressor receptacle must be a little larger to accommodate threads at the larger OD

Threads in front of taper (e.g. CB, BA): carbon ingress to threads possible; brake can be shorter given same "brake part" on the front of the brake; largest OD section of brake can be very short (eg, rear of CB brake); receptacle in the suppressor can be smaller. This setup is also a lot stiffer due to the geometry of the lockup of the threads and the taper. In cases with a lot of pull force (sdfsfasjhfsf50sdfsfkjsf), the suppressor will stay on the shoulder better.

The ME's might have some more subtle points to add, but my takeaway is that threads in front of taper is more mechanically sound (stiffer and stronger) while the main advantage of taper in front of threads is that the threads (and locking mechanism, if present) are isolated from carbon (assuming it stays locked up per my last two sentences above)
Thank you! Looking forward to trying out the TBAC system.