• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Suppressor on a sporter weight barrel?

RidgeRebel

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2009
Hurricane, UT
Will a suppressor effect accuracy of a spoter weight barrel?
I have SAS 308 supressor and I am thinking of purchasing a Tikka huting rifle in 300 WSM. But I was worried that installing the suppressor on the lighter barrel might have a negative effect on accuracy. Is anybody running anyhting like this?
Thanks

Bob

Re: Suppressor on a sporter weight barrel?

Bob,
I need some more info:
1) Is the bbl already threaded. (what pitch)
2) what is the length of the bbl?
3) grab some calipers and tell us the outside diameter of your bbl at its crown.
4) if over 18" bbl please give us a caliper read at 18"
5) what is your cans current thread pitch?

A can at the end of any barrel will cause a change. Without going into too much detail try this:
Fully extend 1 arm out like an airplane now imagime adding a 15lb weight. Drooped your arm some eh? Now pull your arm in to your elbow, a little easier with less droop.
Apply the same on your barrel. Thicker or shorter barrels will do better at managing the weight.
Now on to the diameter of youre barrel. It has to big fat enough to cut the threads and leave a shoulder. Each thread pitch and can manufactuer have a minimum diameter to make this happen.
You can get away with more on a QD mount system.
There is also a Finnnish?/sweedish? Spigot you can use as a adapter. You'll have to research that one yourself.
Ive ran something simular and it worked, barely, at 18" although I still didnt like it. So I ordered a heavier (thicker) barel.
Anyway hope that helps bob,
Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elksniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will a suppressor effect accuracy of a spoter weight barrel?

Bob </div></div>

You will have a larger POI change but your accuracy should improve. If your like me and never shoot without a can it is a moot point. The biggest problem people have is enough barrel diameter the thread.
smile.gif

I am not sure what the barrel diameter will be as I have not purchased the rifle yet. I am wanting a light hunting rifle but would like to still hunt with my supressor. How thick does the barrel have to be to thread? My supressor is is cut 5/8x24.

.750 Recomended. Bare minimum is .700ish. I have one at .730 ,myself and it is borderline IMO for a direct mount.

I shoot a T3 in 308 with a TPR-S can (2#!). I cut the barrel back to 16", which was helpful for diameter and (permanently)put a false shoulder between the barrel shoulder and the can. That barrel is threaded 5/8-24, but you can thread smaller, as appropriate to your muzzle, and bush up, so long as everything is concentric.

Bob,

I have a T3 Lite in 7mm Mag, and I put a Thunderbeast 308 can on it. I threaded it at 1/2" instead of the standard 5/8". It works fine. I had a 1 MOA POI shift on the Tikka, which is the same POI shift I had on my thicker barreled 6.5 Creedmore. I think you will be fine.

Where I had a big POI shift is when I put the can on a standard AR barrel. That had a 6 MOA POI shirt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Abq-Defense</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bob,

I have a T3 Lite in 7mm Mag, and I put a Thunderbeast 308 can on it. I threaded it at 1/2" instead of the standard 5/8". It works fine. I had a 1 MOA POI shift on the Tikka, which is the same POI shift I had on my thicker barreled 6.5 Creedmore. I think you will be fine.

Where I had a big POI shift is when I put the can on a standard AR barrel. That had a 6 MOA POI shirt. </div></div>

Interesting, I have a tikka 7mm RM and want to suppress it. I asked over in the fun smithing section about threading it to 1/2-28 and adapting that to my can but I never gt a reply. Have you had many rounds thought the barrel after threading it? I was concerned about the thin wall thickness that 1/2 threads left.

Remember that 9mm threads are 1/2-28. True the pressure is quite a bit lower, but that is a lot bigger hole.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeepocabra</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Abq-Defense</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bob,

Where I had a big POI shift is when I put the can on a standard AR barrel. That had a 6 MOA POI shirt. </div></div>

Interesting, I have a tikka 7mm RM and want to suppress it. I asked over in the fun smithing section about threading it to 1/2-28 and adapting that to my can but I never gt a reply. Have you had many rounds thought the barrel after threading it? I was concerned about the thin wall thickness that 1/2 threads left. </div></div>

Jeep,

I have about 150 rounds through the Tikka since I got the can. Every thing seems fine even with the 7mm Mag pressures/velocities.

Before I had the can, I had a muzzle break on it that had the same threading. I put 350 through it with the break on.