• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors suppressor purchase

hue001t

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 9, 2009
jacksonville,NC/middletown CT
i want to buy my first suppressor but am not quite sure. if your barrel is threaded Say my savage 7mm, and i purchase a 7.62 i was looking at the YHM Phantom how will it fit my barrel?

Re: suppressor purchase

You'll want to match your intended purchase to two things.

First, the caliber of the weapon. If you've got a 7mm, then a 7.62 can should fit and work.

Second, the attachment method. If you're looking at a screw-on can, then you'll just want to match the threads between your barrel and the can. If it's a QD mount can, then you'll still need to match the QD adaptor threads to the threads on your barrel. Generally, your thread options on a 30 caliber can are 5/8 x 24 and 3/4 x 16. You'll need to match your threads to your intended mounting system. After that, it's not rocket science to mount it up.

The can has to be able to handle the preassures of the intended cartridge.

The barrel had to be thick enough to provide a good shoulder for the can or mount. If a reflex can, then plan on more smithing of the barrel.

You want to do a lot of research before comitting. I got my 9mm can based on what I knew at the time. If I'd done more research I would have chosen differently, possibly.

My 7.62 can was chosen a little more intelligently, but with a very limited set of criteria.

thanx for all the help. i do go on silencertalk but where i am it is restricted. i knew to match the threads what i was wondering was that barrels come in diffrent contours how can you be sure the outside diamiter of the barrel will fit the suppressor

If you get the 7.62 phantom you will get it with .625x24 threads. As long as your shoulder/muzzle diameteris around .700 you should be ok depending on what the relief cut diameter is on the can.

If you are running a 7mm magnum, you might want to check with the suppressor manufacturer if it's OK to use a regular 7.62 can with a magnum caliber.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 737SHARK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">By my Tigershark!! I can thread your barrel </div></div>

Quoted for truth...

well i found out yesterday im not going to be able to buy one right now because i leave for Afghanistan in 2 months so by the time the can arrives here in NC i will be gone and unable to fill out the paperwork. I'm really bummed i wanted to have it for the day i got home.