• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Suppressor question

308zone

Private
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2009
Burnet,Texas
This is my first time going through the suppressor process and wanted to get a few thoughts on this. The deal is, I purchased a can first part of this last January and the dealer sent off the form 4 for me. Everything I have read says I should be able to get my serial number from the dealer in order to call and check up on the status. However, the class 3 dealer told me that he does not have the serial number to give me and that “it does not work that way.” He further explained that some “secretary somewhere” with ATF has my serial number and that he could not give it to me. He then told me not to expect my stamp to come in until a year has gone by. He did tell me it would take about 6 months to get the stamp when I paid for the can back in January. That I have no problem believing.

I know that a serial number is required on the form 4 before it is sent off and I have not read anywhere that would make me believe it should take a year. Something just is not passing the sniff test but I could be wrong. Not sure about this one either but he should have the can at his shop by now.......right? He also did not give me a copy of the form 4 on the date of sale.

Should I be worried or is this common? Hope this don’t sound like the usual whining.

Re: Suppressor question

Did he order the suppressor from some where else or did he have it in his shop?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308zone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I know that a serial number is required on the form 4 before it is sent off and I have not read anywhere that would make me believe it should take a year. Something just is not passing the sniff test but I could be wrong. Not sure about this one either but he should have the can at his shop by now.......right? He also did not give me a copy of the form 4 on the date of sale.

Should I be worried or is this common? Hope this don’t sound like the usual whining.
</div></div>
the dealer should have the serial number of the can regardless... it better be on form 3 from the suppressor manufacturer and it should be logged in his A&D's... as long as you have your serial # and circled I DO on #9 on the form 4 you can call into the atf and check on the status.

Skinny.......thanks for confirming my thoughts. It just seemed a bit weird to me and went against what I’ve seen in the past.

The A&D’s you talk about.......I take it as he is required to keep all serial numbers logged as part of his license?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chase Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Who is your dealer?</div></div>

PM sent to ya.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308zone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Skinny.......thanks for confirming my thoughts. It just seemed a bit weird to me and went against what I’ve seen in the past.

The A&D’s you talk about.......I take it as he is required to keep all serial numbers logged as part of his license?
</div></div>
ya he is required to do so... if the atf ever checks him, he be f#$%ed.

ask for your serial number -- if he can not give it to you ask for a copy of the paper work sent in .. if he can not give you a copy .. demand your money back, if he does not want to give it - hopefully you paid by credit card and call your company and ask for a chargeback.

The dealer is requried to put the serial number on the form. So he has to have it. I would then seek another dealer as it seems very shady.

I did mine on a trust -- purchased the suppressor -- dealer did paperwork and I sent it in with the check in Mid January. My dealer had my serial number and the paperwork was sent to him in the end of march.

My Brother-in-Law has done several and he has to obtain the serial number as he needs to get approval from LEO's and then send the forms into the BATFE for the 3 to 4 month wait. He use to get the forms returned to him, however as of late they have been going to the dealer.

Seriously -- Try to get your money back and find a new dealer. You can mention that you will call the NFA branch to ask them about the process to see if it gels to what your dealer is saying (little shot across the bow)

I'm in the market for a suppressor for my new armalite super sass but I get nervous everytime I read these seemingly endless horror stories. I know its risky (and over charged and filled with wasted time)if the Gov is involved but it seems even those trying to "help" you through the process have a reputation of shady business. Just my paranoid opinion!

Its not a bad process.. it is written on very old laws and you or your dealer cant do anything to speed up the process.. I was told NOT to call and ask about my paperwork because depending on your processor they can get pissy and move you paperwork to the back of the stack and there is nothing you can do about it..
My first can took right at 3 months to get the form 4 back. Its just a waiting game. Each state is different, I had a budding in VA got his back within 6 weeks.
308Zone I agree your dealer sound shady, get you money back and find a new dealer sucks for you because you are already so many months into this... but if he cant make you feel good about the process then its time to jump ship...
BAM226 buying a can is really not that much differant than getting a firearm. Just the wait time and the ATF being in the loop it takes its awhile because nothing happens fast in the govnt world... Just find a good dealer make sure he will answer your questions and if he seems put off by you asking questions find a different dealer.

I may be wrong, but I'm quite certain that you FFL dealer has to have the item in his possession to do a form 4. If he doesn't then he could be putting you at risk of having a suppressor that doesn't exist. Good luck on the turn around time if that happened and you get it approved. Also the number for ATF is floating around here. Call and talk to them and explain what is going on. They can look it up without your serial number it just takes longer. If they do it copy down the serial number and ask your FFL where the fuck it is in not so harsh terms. If he can't produce it call your local ATF office and report it. There's no telling where it could be if he doesn't have it.

It wouldn't surprise me if he didn't have it in hand when he told you he was sending your paperwork in. He probably ordered the can and is waiting on his Form 3, then he'll do your Form 4. Otherwise there would be no reason for him to withhold your serial number. He probably doesn't want you to talk to the NFA people and find out when he actually sent the stuff in. Either he doesn't understand the law, or he's shady, and I would try to get my money back too. It may have already been answered, but yes the dealer has to have the suppressor in hand before he can send out a Form 4 to transfer it. To not do so is like floating checks, except the ATF is not as understanding as your bank.

Step 1, get your money back. Step 2, call up Major Malfunction or one of the Class 3 stocking dealers that are sponsers here and order your suppressor. Step 3, find a reputable Class 3 dealer near where you live, I am sure that the other dealers here will be glad to give you some help in this area. Step 4, wait for your can to be put on Form 3 and transferred to your local dealer. Once it arrives, your dealer will then take steps to do the Form 4 or help you set up a trust to put the can on with Form 4. Either way, make sure the process is explained to you and the dealer has good communication and is up front. I had an excellent experience with Major Malfunction and David of Shark Suppressors. Either way, find some of the class 3 dealers from the sponsor thread and pm them where you live and ask for a reputable dealer in your area.

did you do a sign off or a trust?
he has to have the suppressor in his possession before you can send the form 4 off to the ATF, so he must have the serial number.

It taking right around 3 months right now. Sent my paperwork off to atf Feb 25th and was approved April 27th, and picked up on may 5th. I think I just got lucky just over 2 months.

You are running into what newbie’s (like me recently) run into all the time. You go the dealer and he talks you into a specific can and you give him money and off it starts. He doesn’t have it in stock so he goes to the manufacturer and they have in stock or not. If not they have to build one which takes time (they normally do them in batches). That takes time and then the manufacturer has to Form 3 it through ATF to get it transferred to the dealer (usually a month) and then the dealer can send in your Form 4 to the ATF for his transfer to you (four to six months). As you can see if you add it all up it can take 8 months to a year.

I did it that way my first time and it took 8 months to get my can. Always try and get it in stock as it cuts down your waiting time by months. He can't tell you the serial number because he doesn’t have it from the manufacturer yet as it has not been built. If the can is built and has been Form 3 to the dealer than he has the serial number and doesn't want to give it to you. If that is the case then find another dealer as he is not honest.

When I got my second can I went to the dealer and saw it in his hand and I personally copied my Form 4 so I had the serial number and called ATF for status. And, I visited my can every time I was in the dealers business. He was very upfront about the process.

While finding a good dealer can be difficult, it is worth it to have someone to answer your questions and eliminate any concerns about what is a substantial investment.

Usually the dealer recieves the can then files a form 4. At that time it should only take 3 months max. Used to be 30 days but things are getting slow.

One year is extreme

I believe it is the dealers prerogative.

I've never checked the no box that covers not allowing the transferee to check status, but that box does exist.

As far as the story that it is illegal for him to give you information, that is not true, but it probably is procedurally not OK for the ATF to give you the information if he checked the do not allow option on the form.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bp78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's the going rate for a dealer transfer of a suppressor? </div></div>

$50-$100 in Colorado.

Get your money back from the current dealer. Call David at Shark suppressors and he will take care of you. He will sell you one of his cans or order something else if you want it. You wont have any BS to deal with. Drive over and pick it up. He's good people.