• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Suppressor Questions

Grumulkin

Sergeant
Minuteman
I'm thinking of getting a suppressor and have some questions. For price, I'll probably stay under $1,000.

1. If I get a suppressor for a .308 caliber rifle would it also work for a smaller caliber such as .284 or .224?

2. Do suppressors adversely affect accuracy?

3. Any particular brand you guys like for at or under about $1,000?

4. I know that for maximum noise reduction, one would have to go with some type of subsonic cartridge/load. If I were to put a supressor on say a full house 300 Win. Mag. load, would the noise reduction be enough to be worth it?

Re: Suppressor Questions

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grumulkin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm thinking of getting a suppressor and have some questions. For price, I'll probably stay under $1,000.

1. If I get a suppressor for a .308 caliber rifle would it also work for a smaller caliber such as .284 or .224?

2. Do suppressors adversely affect accuracy?

3. Any particular brand you guys like for at or under about $1,000?

4. I know that for maximum noise reduction, one would have to go with some type of subsonic cartridge/load. If I were to put a supressor on say a full house 300 Win. Mag. load, would the noise reduction be enough to be worth it? </div></div>

1. Yes it will work
2. They often will help your shooting and grouping can tighten up. A poor thread job or misaligned baffles can decrease accuracy though.
3. For that budget.... AAC, SAS, YHM Phantom, etc
4. Your going to put a 308 cal can on a 300 WM? That will be fine but it wont suppress like a magnum caliber can could. They have more volume but are still a 30cal can. Sure, you can run it on there and be ok but how much baffle wear are you OK with?

A suppressor of a given projectile diameter will work for any smaller projectile. However, you cannot ignore case volume. A 308 can should not be used on a 300 win mag as the latter has substantially for gas to trap by the suppressor. I have not heard specifics, but know that manufacturers specifically list "magnum" models. Therefore, a 308 can would work for any 308 based cartridge or smaller. Bigger such as a 284 or magnum case should use a magnum can.

Most people find that suppressors enhance accuracy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A suppressor of a given projectile diameter will work for any smaller projectile. However, you cannot ignore case volume. A 308 can should not be used on a 300 win mag as the latter has substantially for gas to trap by the suppressor. I have not heard specifics, but know that manufacturers specifically list "magnum" models. Therefore, a 308 can would work for any 308 based cartridge or smaller. Bigger such as a 284 or magnum case should use a magnum can.

Most people find that suppressors enhance accuracy. </div></div>

Might want to read up on manufacturers information. Yankee Hill Machine has told its customers from the get go the reason the Phantom's are over built is so they CAN handle 300WM. Your information is not 100% correct...