• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Suppressor recoil reduction?

Jakerz

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2008
Statesville, NC
I'm planning on ordering my first custom rifle from Mike R. at Tac Ops and was playing with the idea of getting a muzzle brake put on it during the build, my question is: Does a suppressor reduce the felt recoil similar to a muzzle brake?

As most of you know the wait on these rifles is about 1 year so I should have time to get my Form 4 back intime to shoot the gun when it arrives
smile.gif

Thanks,
Jake

Re: Suppressor recoil reduction?

yes it reduces + you dont have to worry about ear plugs. depending on the brand of suppressor it makes the 308 round sound like a 22 magnum.

My experience is that a break is more effective than a can. The can helps though. I use an AAC 7.62 SD with their break / mount, so I can shoot w/ can then w/ break in a jiffy. Their break is compairable to the Bene Cooley break I had on the rifle before. Very effective.

Reactions: CO00Z

Cool deal, thanks guys. Now I just need to pick the can I want to get, lol

Jake

I have Surefire brake on my 300RCM...it barely moves when fired...it's loud as artillery...but doesn't move.

With suppressor attached there is much more movement...it actually was a big surprise. I had always imagined the can just making everything better...it's quiet...but it recoils more than the brake.

My guess is that the suppressor is less recoil than a bare barrel but more than just the brake.

I'm not going to bother suppressing anymore bolt guns...just not worth the drama or money. Get decent brake and enjoy the stillness.

Respectfully

--KJ

With my personel experience, I will disagree the KY. I find that my ThumderBrast can drastically reduces recoil over a plain barrel and vs a barrel with a standard Accuracy Internatioanl muzzle brake. Additionally, I find that the rifle shoots far more accurately with the can on.

Do you absolutley need a can,no. But if you buy a quality one, I am willing to wager that you will not regret it.

My 308 kicks alot less with my Tubb brake ver my Shark can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jakerz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm planning on ordering my first custom rifle from Mike R. at Tac Ops and was playing with the idea of getting a muzzle brake put on it during the build, my question is: Does a suppressor reduce the felt recoil similar to a muzzle brake?</div></div>
What caliber will you be ordering - .223, .308, .300WM, .338, or something else? Personally I wouldn't bother with a muzzle brake on anything under a .300WM - theres' just not that much recoil or blast unless its a short-barreled Tango 51, which is <span style="font-style: italic">very</span> light. However, if I could own a suppressor I would have a Tac Ops TAC .30 on my X-Ray 51.

But yes - a good suppressor will not only substantially reduce sound and recoil, but will also eliminate muzzle flash. Some shooters find it easier to shoot more accurately with a suppressed weapon because of the reduction in recoil. And suppressors don't annoy nearby shooters like muzzle brakes do - plus, a small amount of free-bore boost is gained, unlike with a muzzle brake.

A Tac Ops TAC .30 (.308) suppressor firing FGMM (Federal Gold Medal Match) 168s' sounds like a .22 LR - you only hear the sonic crack. Like all Tac Ops products, the TAC .30 suppressors are extremely well-made and are sealed seamless construction, but user-cleanable. This goes for both the stainless steel and titanium versions.

If you can swing the extra cash for a suppressor on your Tac Ops guns the choice is clear - get a Tac Ops unit. Tac Ops precision + Class 3 threads mean the suppressor won't loosen under fire or require the use of teflon tape like other manufacturers tell you to use. And if you order the suppressor while your rifle is still at Tac Ops Mike Rescigno will time the suppressor so that the markings on the housing are in-line with the engraving on the barrel (no functional difference but aesthetically desirable).

Also, if you go with a non-Tac Ops suppressor on your Tac Ops rifle (why?), unless that suppresssor company can guarantee true Class 3B threads you will have problems threading it onto your Tac Ops rifle. All Tac Ops barrels (if threaded) have Class 3A (external) threads, but other suppressor manufacturers typically don't use Class 3B (internal) threads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jakerz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
As most of you know the wait on these rifles is about 1 year so I should have time to get my Form 4 back intime to shoot the gun when it arrives
smile.gif

Thanks,
Jake </div></div>
Perfect.

Keith

I didn't realize Mike made his own suppressors really, lol, just thought he got them from another company. But thanks for the info...

I want to order an Xray 51 20inch barrel with a can hopefully in the next month or so

Thanks again
Jake

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jakerz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I didn't realize Mike made his own suppressors really, lol, just thought he got them from another company. But thanks for the info...</div></div>
Are you kidding? No way. I suppose one of the reasons most people don't know about Tac Ops suppressors are the same reasons that most people don't know about or have any practical knowledge of Tac Ops rifles and other equipment - the Tac Ops web site is lacking, Tac Ops doesn't work shows and competitions, and Tac Ops doesn't use paid advertising. Most of Tac Ops work is agency-related.

Tac Ops has been designing and manufacturing suppressors and other tactical equipment and rifles for 18 years, and hold a couple of suppressor patents, including the suppressor on the Clandestine 12 suppressed shotgun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jakerz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want to order an Xray 51 20inch barrel with a can hopefully in the next month or so

Thanks again
Jake </div></div>
You're welcome. I know you'll be happy with your X-Ray 51, but the X-Ray 51 with a TAC .30 would be even better. I wish I could own a TAC .30 in California, but I don't see that happening in my or my daughter's lifetime.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Wildcat78</span></span> recently received a Tac Ops Lima in .260. The .260 is not a standard Tac Ops offering, and <span style="font-style: italic">consequently the .260 Rescigno built for <span style="font-weight: bold">Wildcat78</span> was a Tac Ops first</span>. Using HSM ammo Rescigno shot a .077" Certification Target.

When <span style="font-style: italic">Wildcat78</span> took his new Tac Ops .260 Lima to the range with his friend and fellow Hide' member <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">bub308</span></span>, <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">Wildcat78</span></span> matched Rescigno's .077" with his own .077" group using handloads. Some of the things <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Wildcat78</span></span> and <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">bub308</span></span> had to say were:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wildcat78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I own a few other custom rifle, I've shot many other custom rifles, but none like this. This rifle is a true masterpiece.</div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wildcat78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The suppressor is the quietest I've ever heard, even with the 260 round! Man I love my rifle!!</div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wildcat78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...<span style="font-style: italic">Bub308</span> shot some great groups with this rifle some were around .25" or better at 100yds. </div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bub308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ive shot this rifle and it removed all doubt I had about tacops rifles. I own a few great custom rifles but this rifle is a step above anything I have handled... </div></div>
<span style="font-weight: bold">.260 Lima Certification Target shot by Mike Rescigno - 110 Yards, L.A.S.D. S.E.B.:</span>
target.jpg

See <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Wildcat78</span></span>'s <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Tac Ops Lima51 (A New Breed)</span></span> for the full thread.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">rem_308</span></span> also recently received a Lima, but he got a Lima 51 (.308). <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">rem_308</span></span> said:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rem_.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All I can say is WOW :shock:. I first opened the case and was just breath taken at the sight that was beneath. Pictures do not do this rifle justice. When I saw everyone else post that statement I thought well it can't be to much different from how it looks in the photos. Well lets just say its a MILLION times better looking in person. The attention to detail is AMAZING everything is timed and just right.</div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rem_308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
This rifle shoots as advertised, I went shooting with some police friends of mine today and they really loved the feel and how the rifle shot as well. I was able to group some shots in the .100s today.</div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Lima 51 Certification Target shot by Mike Rescigno - 110 Yards, L.A.S.D. S.E.B.:</span>
10y1m6x.jpg

See <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">rem_.308</span></span>'s <span style="font-style: italic">New Tactical Operations Lima 51</span> for the full thread.

Don't forget to ask Mike about throwing-in a <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Tac Ops 5th Gen Drag Bag</span></span> for your rifle and suppressor. I'd get the Short bag and carry the suppressor in the padded exterior suppressor pocket, but you might be able to carry the suppressor on the 20" X-Ray if you get a Long Bag, if you wanted to do that.

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">rem_.308</span></span> carries his TAC .30-suppressed Lima 51 in his Tac Ops Drag Bag with the suppressor attached, but I don't know how long his barrel is - I think it is 20".

Keith

3 shot groups don't count. My GAP shot a .01x 3 shot group when I was zeroing it. The next 2 shots open up the group 99% of the time. 5 5 shot groups are the test of a rifle.

Back on topic:
Brakes reduce recoil slightly more than suppressors. But suppressors take away most of the muzzle blast and alot of the recoil. And you don't have to wear earmuffs. The only guns I don't have suppressors for are my 20 and 12 gauges. Once you use one you will like them.

-dan

Yes, and as a person who fails hearing tests wear muffs or plugs anyway being hard of hearing is annoying.

Reactions: Baron23
Well, since this thread has been revived...

I recently got a TacOps titanium suppressor for my .308 X-ray 51, and damn, does this make the rifle extremely pleasant to shoot.

I've shot the rifle a lot with a bare muzzle, and the recoil certainly makes you aware of any weaknesses in your fundamentals. I added a 3-port A419 brake and that tamed the recoil, but the brake sent a lot of concussion back to the shooter. Enter the TacOps suppressor...

This thing is the tits. It makes the rifle quiet, very quiet. But what was very pleasantly surprising was how well the rifle recoiled with the suppressor. Honestly, the suppressor wasn't that far behind the muzzle brake in recoil, the recoil reduction and impulse was a lot better than the last time I shot a suppressed .308 (someones Savage with SiCo harvester at a rifles only course). I shoot this rifle a lot better with the suppressor than the muzzle brake, and I'm sure the concussion mitigation is part of it.

For anyone thinking of suppressing their TacOps rifles - get a TacOps suppressor. These things are awesome. I wish I had TacOps suppressors for all my rifles.

Reactions: BamaSE