• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Suppressor(s) for 12.5" AR-15s

Jdfd556

Private
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2013
PNW
Hi Everyone,

I recently acquired 2 LMT Specwar uppers and will be building them out with LMT's mid-length 12.5" DI barrel (when released). I have been researching the latest and greatest suppressor tech and could use your opinions on which 2 suppressors to get (or 2 of the exact same one doesn't matter). One will be built out as a "Mini Recce" with a NF ATACR 1-8 and offset T2 in a badger COMM mount and the other will be a NV gun with T-2 on a unity high mount. Both will have Modlites and MAWLs at the front of the hand guard so the Mini Recce will be pretty hefty. I already have a Silencerco Saker 7.62 (original version) and a Surefire Socom 5.56 RC2. I'd like the suppressors that I will be buying to be durable foremost with sound suppression second. The Saker is a brick and the mounting system is awful (MAAD Mount). I enjoy the 5.56 RC2 a lot. The NV gun will be suppressed 100% of the time and the Mini Recce will probably be a 50/50 blend. My options that I have somewhat narrowed down are as follows in no particular order:

1) Another Socom RC2
2) Surefire Socom Mini2
3) CGS Helios QD
4) CGS Helios QD TI (not released yet)
5) LMT VBS 5.56 OTB (don't know if this will work due to the suppressor slipping over the barrel, will hit handguard)
6) LMT VBS 5.56 Flush Mount
7) Dead Air Sandman S
8) Dead Air Sandman K
9) OSS HX QD 556 TI
10) TBAC Dominus SR

Based on the criteria given above, which would you go with and why? Thanks in advance!

Edited for spelling

Last edited:
Helios QD is the clear winner in that group of silencers for sound and flash, including on semi auto hosts such as ARs according to actual end users of the various models. It's actually quieter than many companies full size 7.62 rifle silencers such as the Sandman L, Rugged Surge, Q Thunder Chicken, and Surefire 762RC2. Helios QD is also much stronger, more durable, and far more concentric since there are no welds to warp the silencer along its length, there are also no welds to fail since the silencer is one monolithic unit, and it can be used with any other 1.375x24 mount.
Awesome thanks for the info! The Helios and Helios QD are at the top of my list the more research I do. My only hangup is the mounting system, do you guys have any plans to make your own Muzzle Brake/QD adaptor? I saw that GBRS group was shooting a prototype brake of yours and they said it was "the best" they have shot (can't find that post now though). I didn't know if that brake was also a mount for your Helios QD suppressor, if that is that would be truly awesome.

Reactions: rwest309
Awesome thanks for the info! The Helios and Helios QD are at the top of my list the more research I do. My only hangup is the mounting system, do you guys have any plans to make your own Muzzle Brake/QD adaptor? I saw that GBRS group was shooting a prototype brake of yours and they said it was "the best" they have shot (can't find that post now though). I didn't know if that brake was also a mount for your Helios QD suppressor, if that is that would be truly awesome.

The Helios QD mounting system is whatever you want it to be, it fits any 1.375x24 pattern QD system, some are just shorter overall length than others. There is some other stuff going on with it that people haven't seen or heard about but I can't mention what that is yet. I don't know when the CGS brake mount will be released, hard to say. GBRS Group was posting the videos and pictures of the brake in their IG story so they expired after 24hrs. I took a few screenshots so I'll upload them here once I can transfer them.

Beyond QD, direct thread is the way to go for most real life, logical, practical purposes for most people with some exceptions, which do not apply when you're leaving the silencer on one host firearm or using it between multiple host firearms of the same thread type. And depending on the direct thread silencer, some can be used with muzzle devices which will let you use it on other thread types, or the back end of the silencer itself can be interchangeable to use different threads such as with the Helios QD.

The whole thing about direct thread silencers coming loose when you don't want them to comes from people that use silencers which don't have wrench flats such as the Omega 300, from people that choose not to use the wrench flats on the silencer when provided, and from those hand tightening not using the SIG 25 deg taper shoulder interface between the silencer and barrel. If you use a wrench to torque the silencer on the barrel using the wrench flats on the silencer then there's no chance it's going to come loose until you want it to come loose. If you use the SIG 25 deg taper interface between the silencer and the barrel and hand tighten it there's no chance it's going to come loose until you want it to come loose. So it's very simple, use the SIG 25 deg taper interface and hand tighten or use a square shoulder barrel and a silencer with wrench flats and torque the silencer to the barrel. Then you have no issues with coming loose. In the future Helios QD will have SIG 25 deg taper rear caps available.

Reactions: Clayman
Hi Everyone,

I recently acquired 2 LMT Specwar uppers and will be building them out with LMT's mid-length 12.5" DI barrel (when released). I have been researching the latest and greatest suppressor tech and could use your opinions on which 2 suppressors to get (or 2 of the exact same one doesn't matter). One will be built out as a "Mini Recce" with a NF ATACR 1-8 and offset T2 in a badger COMM mount and the other will be a NV gun with T-2 on a unity high mount. Both will have Modlites and MAWLs at the front of the hand guard so the Mini Recce will be pretty hefty. I already have a Silencerco Saker 7.62 (original version) and a Surefire Socom 5.56 RC2. I'd like the suppressors that I will be buying to be durable foremost with sound suppression second. The Saker is a brick and the mounting system is awful (MAAD Mount). I enjoy the 5.56 RC2 a lot. The NV gun will be suppressed 100% of the time and the Mini Recce will probably be a 50/50 blend. My options that I have somewhat narrowed down are as follows in no particular order:

1) Another Socom RC2
2) Surefire Socom Mini2
3) CGS Helios QD
4) CGS Helios QD TI (not released yet)
5) LMT VBS 5.56 OTB (don't know if this will work due to the suppressor slipping over the barrel, will hit handguard)
6) LMT VBS 5.56 Flush Mount
7) Dead Air Sandman S
8) Dead Air Sandman K
9) OSS HX QD 556 TI
10) TBAC Dominus SR

Based on the criteria given above, which would you go with and why? Thanks in advance!

Edited for spelling
Dead Air Sandman-S

I saw that GBRS group was shooting a prototype brake of yours and they said it was "the best" they have shot (can't find that post now though). I didn't know if that brake was also a mount for your Helios QD suppressor, if that is that would be truly awesome.

GBRS Group was posting the videos and pictures of the brake in their IG story so they expired after 24hrs. I took a few screenshots so I'll upload them here once I can transfer them.
ryMnI54.jpg

BbntME4.jpg

aFOMQ7c.png

Thanks Paco you're awesome this is exactly what I was looking for. I'm not in any huge rush to get the cans but would like to order them within a reasonable timeframe (<1yr) so hopefully these brakes are available by then!

Thanks Paco you're awesome this is exactly what I was looking for. I'm not in any huge rush to get the cans but would like to order them within a reasonable timeframe (<1yr) so hopefully these brakes are available by then!
No problem. With that kind of time frame it's very likely. The Helios QD Ti gets released any day in the next few weeks.

Reactions: Clayman and Jonny_
No problem. With that kind of time frame it's very likely. The Helios QD Ti gets released any day in the next few weeks.
Well shoot maybe I'll order one when they come out since NFA wait time will be 7-8 months and hopefully the brake gets released by then. Thanks again!

Update (don't know if anyone cares or not lol): Ordered a CGS Helios QD TI so now the NFA wait begins. I'm fingers crossed that CGS comes out with their own brake/qd adaptor by the time the stamp clears. After shooting it, I'll evaluate what other can to get but at this point, it is looking like it will be another Helios QD TI, normal Helios QD, or a Surefire Mini2 (purely for its short length).

Update (don't know if anyone cares or not lol): Ordered a CGS Helios QD TI so now the NFA wait begins. I'm fingers crossed that CGS comes out with their own brake/qd adaptor by the time the stamp clears. After shooting it, I'll evaluate what other can to get but at this point, it is looking like it will be another Helios QD TI, normal Helios QD, or a Surefire Mini2 (purely for its short length).

Thanks for buying, we appreciate it.

Reactions: Jdfd556

WVourXY.jpg

2lUPEF5.jpg

Is this set up a soon ish or a ways away. If you're willing if you could talk to me about this vs the Helios qd ti on 5.56. DM is fine if you prefer. The weight and mounting system is extremely attractive to me. If you're not ready to discuss any info yet I understand.

Is this set up a soon ish or a ways away. If you're willing if you could talk to me about this vs the Helios qd ti on 5.56. DM is fine if you prefer. The weight and mounting system is extremely attractive to me. If you're not ready to discuss any info yet I understand.

It's gonna be quite a while and the final iteration wouldn't be the same as what's shown. I can't discuss prototype performance or any of that.

Reactions: Clayman
I already have a Silencerco Saker 7.62 (original version) and a Surefire Socom 5.56 RC2. I'd like the suppressors that I will be buying to be durable foremost with sound suppression second. The Saker is a brick and the mounting system is awful (MAAD Mount).
Saker 762 is a nice enough can for when it came out. I have one too. Now take the time to get it usable without the Trifecta/MAAD mount.

First, contact Sico. They used to swap your muzzle devices and interface for the ASR version for free. Its been years, though, so dont know if they still are. If so, easy and definite upgrade.

Even if they aren't though, there is a chance you may find that whatever system you want to move to has an adapter. I know Sico makes one for ASR, YHM does for their mounts, Dead Air for the Keymo, Area 419, Q , etc. Or even direct thread if you want to save a bunch on muzzle devices.