• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Suppressor selection, 6.5CM AR10

Hotjava66

Private
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2013
MI
Looking to add a suppressor to my 6.5 CM. 26” barrel built on an AR10T chassis, weight and length not a consideration, this is a dedicated bench/prone rifle. Prime consideration is not affecting precision at range (500-1000 yards), but want to have good suppression also. Mainly shooting steel with the occasional hunt/cull, most of our locations while rural have some houses etc and trying to keep said locations by not making a ton of noise. Do not really need the ability to switch between rifles, have a dedicated large bore can and SMG can, about the only thing it may also go on would be a heavy varmint rifle (same thoughts). Would like to buy quality for the long haul without going overboard. Would run an adjustable gas block if needed. Thinking TBAC Ultra 9 at this point but looking for suggestions and pro/cons.

The OSS can is great for an AR due to the reduced back pressure. If back pressure isn't a concern the tbac units are hard to beat. I'd run a Dominus SR on a gas gun.

Reactions: Longshot231
Probably true, but different strokes for different folks and options are never a bad thing.
No one said anything about that. I shoot a suppressed 6mm so I went through all of this myself regarding that.

The amount of actual options for this type of can is extremely limited. 30 Cal on the other hand has a lot of great options.

7.62 vs 6.5 will result in about a total of 1.1mm in total bore diameter difference, so since we are talking about options here there are way more options in .30 Cal that will outperform a dedicated 6.5 can.

There is really no trade-off, and there are a ton more options going that route.

I have basically started only getting .30 cal suppressors and putting them on everything down to 5.56 for this reason. Have TBAC, kgm and oss or their new unpronounceable name and love them all

Reactions: tyman
Just to clarify, I’m not against a 30 cal can if the difference is marginal and it opens up better options. Was eyeing up the Hyperion also seems to get good feedback.

My recommendations would be: Ultra 7, Dominus-SR, Magnus, or Ultra 5. I use of all of those on 6.5 gas guns just depending on application
So curious, what is to be gained/lost between these different models, and why not an Ultra 9?

Merely saw it as an option on KGM’s site. The differences are likely negligible. Not looking to argue about 1.1mm 😉

And remember folks, more concerned about the least effect on accuracy than total sound reduction

And remember folks, more concerned about the least effect on accuracy than total sound reduction
The type of mount you choose will be the most important thing in my opinion. Something with a taper mount is a superb option for what you are looking for.

Reactions: AirgunnerPCP
I have basically started only getting .30 cal suppressors and putting them on everything down to 5.56 for this reason. Have TBAC, kgm and oss or their new unpronounceable name and love them all

This

Looking to add a suppressor to my 6.5 CM. 26” barrel built on an AR10T chassis, weight and length not a consideration, this is a dedicated bench/prone rifle. Prime consideration is not affecting precision at range (500-1000 yards), but want to have good suppression also. Mainly shooting steel with the occasional hunt/cull, most of our locations while rural have some houses etc and trying to keep said locations by not making a ton of noise. Do not really need the ability to switch between rifles, have a dedicated large bore can and SMG can, about the only thing it may also go on would be a heavy varmint rifle (same thoughts). Would like to buy quality for the long haul without going overboard. Would run an adjustable gas block if needed. Thinking TBAC Ultra 9 at this point but looking for suggestions and pro/cons.
No, get something better than the Ultra series...

Or

Both are damn-near identical to the ears. The PEW Science rankings that these are their 2 quietest .30 caliber rifle cans. I happen to have both, and can concur with their findings.

So curious, what is to be gained/lost between these different models, and why not an Ultra 9?
The Ultra series are great cans, but they're a little dated technology wise... There are quieter cans now, even though the Ultra series was always the gold standard...Until about 2019, or whenever the Dead Air Nomad-L came around. Then it became the new standard. Now the TBAC Magnus is the can to beat...But it costs $1,700 just for the can, not including taxes, tax stamp, and trust.

After reading a bunch, is there a concern for back pressure induced problems on my rifle with something along the lines of the Nomad-L, Hydrogen-L, Hyperion, etc that seem to rank highly? If so is it just a matter of adjusting the gas block or does it entail more than that? The link above on the Hydrogen-L seems like a great deal if it will work and is a quality unit.

After reading a bunch, is there a concern for back pressure induced problems on my rifle with something along the lines of the Nomad-L, Hydrogen-L, Hyperion, etc that seem to rank highly? If so is it just a matter of adjusting the gas block or does it entail more than that? The link above on the Hydrogen-L seems like a great deal if it will work and is a quality unit.
I have shot mine on many AR’s, and was not experiencing any issues. Maybe a little bit of gas, but I don’t have adjustable GB’s. I do plan on upgrading a few soon with adj. GBs. But I do have heavier buffers in everything, so that helps, as well. Most have H2’s, and my 6.5 Grendel has an H3.

If you have an adjustable gas block that will help tremendously with any over-gassing and backpressure you might experience, by slowing down the BCG to a proper cycling speed.

The Hydrogen-L is a quality unit. I’ve had mine since March. And the Nomad-LT is also a quality unit. I actually own both of the cans that I recommended, so I’m not just giving you random internet 2nd-hand info. 👍🏼

They are titanium cans, so I wouldn’t do any rapid-firing or mag dumps with them. They’re made more for precision shooting and shooting where the shots are a few seconds apart. Just be sure not to exceed 800°F, and you shouldn’t have any issues. What I do is shoot a few shots (5 or so), and then let it cool down completely. But that’s just me.

Reactions: Wakesurfer1

Due to high flow restriction and the resultant increase in backpressure, all of those long cans have the potential to cause issues on a gas gun, and at the very least will tend to shift the majority of at-ear emissions from the muzzle to the ejection port. I'd strongly urge someone to explore a smaller option like the Dominus or Nomad for multi-purpose applications.

CGS Helios qd ti or CGS Hyperion K.

Hyperion K will have less back pressure, helios qd ti will likely be quieter.

L cans(with significant flow restriction) on gas guns will increase sound to your ear, significantly increase blowback, etc.

You can not completely tune out gas blow back. On the same host a more restrictive silencer will always have more gas blow back than silencers with higher flow rate. You can tune for both and high flow rate can will have less blowback.

Nomad or Nomad Ti would be a good option as well if the CGS stuff is too expensive for your taste.

Reactions: kthomas
I recently got my KGM R30k. The build quality seems to be on par with my older thunderbeast 30BA. I don’t have any of the newer tbacs yet. The 30ba is quieter than the r30k but it should be since the r30k is under 6”.

I really like the trend of removable adapters on the back of suppressors so you can use different mounts and brakes. I personally like the thunderbeast brakes so bought the CB adapter for the KGM.

Accuracy has been excellent, same between the thunderbeast and KGM. The KGM seems to be less backpressure than my 30BA and I haven’t tried opening the APEC ports on the Kgm yet, which I have been told help.

Might be work checking out the longer Kgm offerings. With that said my next cab will likely be a dominus or Abel biscuit

I have shot mine on many AR’s, and was not experiencing any issues. Maybe a little bit of gas, but I don’t have adjustable GB’s. I do plan on upgrading a few soon with adj. GBs. But I do have heavier buffers in everything, so that helps, as well. Most have H2’s, and my 6.5 Grendel has an H3.

If you have an adjustable gas block that will help tremendously with any over-gassing and backpressure you might experience, by slowing down the BCG to a proper cycling speed.

The Hydrogen-L is a quality unit. I’ve had mine since March. And the Nomad-LT is also a quality unit. I actually own both of the cans that I recommended, so I’m not just giving you random internet 2nd-hand info. 👍🏼

They are titanium cans, so I wouldn’t do any rapid-firing or mag dumps with them. They’re made more for precision shooting and shooting where the shots are a few seconds apart. Just be sure not to exceed 800°F, and you shouldn’t have any issues. What I do is shoot a few shots (5 or so), and then let it cool down completely. But that’s just me.
Thanks for the insight. Kind of leaning towards the Nomad L just because it isn’t titanium. Not really concerned about weight, and definitely will not be doing any rapid fire stuff but should last longer.

Thanks for the insight. Kind of leaning towards the Nomad L just because it isn’t titanium. Not really concerned about weight, and definitely will not be doing any rapid fire stuff but should last longer.
It honestly won't necessarily last any longer, because how well it holds up is a matter of the alloy's metallurgical compound, and the construction that went into the suppressor. The OCL cans are built very well. Most of the cans use Grade 5 to Grade 9 for their titanium, which is VERY strong for its weight, so you should never have an issue with any good quality can.

If you want less back pressure, but still excellent sound suppression, and this will be a dedicated suppressor for a 6.5mm rifle, then I would opt for this, honestly...

If sound suppression is your #1 goal, then decible-wise this will suppress the sound as well as the L cans will (thanks to the smaller 6.5mm bore of the suppressor), but will also save weight, length, and will have LESS back pressure (less baffles), and will probably be easier to tune your gas system with.

I have this same can in a 7.62 (.30 cal) version, and it sounds amazing on my bolt-action 22" .260 Remington & .308 Win, as well as my custom 20" 6.5 Grendel AR, and the owner of Otter Creek @AndrewKing said the 6.5mm bore version (as I linked to above), will be even better, so I have one on order in 6.5mm now, as well, for a dedicated can on my bolt-action .260 Remington. 👍🏼

There's a bit more nuance to running suppressors on an AR platform compared to a bolt gun.

What works great on a bolt gun may not necessarily work great on a gas gun. Not only can there be a lot more gas coming out of the ejection port (unpleasant for the shooter), but it can also be louder as well compared to other suppressors that may be shorter but designed for such a system.

It seems that a lot of the responses so far are geared more towards a bolt gun. I would recommend doing a lot of research before putting a long suppressor that's very effective on a bolt gun on a gas gun.

KGM looks like a nice unit and geared more towards a gas gun with the adjustable front vent. Gives up a little to an L sound wise but that is ok.

KGM looks like a nice unit and geared more towards a gas gun with the adjustable front vent. Gives up a little to an L sound wise but that is ok.
It may not give up sound on a gas gun.

dB ratings on bolt guns don't necessarily transfer over to gas guns, due to the dynamics of a gas gun system.

Reactions: Clayman

What gas system length are you running?

With that barrel being so long I don't think you'll notice the muzzle report difference between shorter(6-7") and longer cans(8-9") with a semi auto. However I firmly believe with L silencers the ejection port signature due to increased back pressure and increased gas blowback will actually make it louder and less pleasant vs a Hyperion K/Nomad/Helios qd ti.

The majority of your gas blowback comes down the barrel. Adjusting your gas block delays bolt unlocking, adding mass delays unlocking. You will not be able to delay unlocking long enough for your L silencer to completely blow down, so the second that bolt unlocks you're going to have gas shoot back out the ejection port. The higher the flow restriction the more gas there will generally be. Gun will get dirtier faster, you'll have more gas in your face, etc. There can also be reliability problems if you can't delay unlocking and tune out excessive blowback.

Titanium will last a long time if it doesn't get hot, durability of titanium for your use case imo isn't a concern.

I forgot to mention. I am running the tbac 30ba and r30k on my 24” 223 AR and 20” 22nxs AR. I have also run them on bolt guns. I think opening up the vents will help the sound on my ARs, just haven’t done it yet.

There's no reason to get an Ultra 9 when you can get the Magnus, unless you want a thinner tube or want it to be cheaper. Same length.magnus

To answer your question, Ultra 7 is the most common hunting can from those. Ultra 5 is the most compact, lightest.
Dominus-SR is similar in suppression to the Ultra 7 but has a full auto rating and a locking mount. Dominus-K-SR is similar to the Ultra 5 in suppression but has the same locking as the Dominus-SR.

The Ultra series are great cans, but they're a little dated technology wise... There are quieter cans now, even though the Ultra series was always the gold standard...Until about 2019, or whenever the Dead Air Nomad-L came around. Then it became the new standard. Now the TBAC Magnus is the can to beat...But it costs $1,700 just for the can, not including taxes, tax stamp, and trust.
The Ultra 7 (and now in the Gen2) is still one of the most popular hunting cans due to overall size and weight. The Nomad L is significantly larger than the Ultra 7 (84% larger volume) and 2.2x the weight of the Ultra 7. Compared to the Ultra 9, it's still 25% larger volume and 1.8x the weight. The Nomad L is quieter than the Ultra 9 by a little bit. The Magnus is several dB quieter than the Nomad L , 24% lighter, but it is 0.6" longer than the Nomad L. The MSRP of the Magnus-CB & HUB is also not $1700.

The Ultra 7 (and now in the Gen2) is still one of the most popular hunting cans due to overall size and weight. The Nomad L is significantly larger than the Ultra 7 (84% larger volume) and 2.2x the weight of the Ultra 7. Compared to the Ultra 9, it's still 25% larger volume and 1.8x the weight. The Nomad L is quieter than the Ultra 9 by a little bit. The Magnus is several dB quieter than the Nomad L , 24% lighter, but it is 0.6" longer than the Nomad L. The MSRP of the Magnus-CB & HUB is also not $1700.
Mile High is selling the Magnus for $1,600+… Might want to check on that, incase they’re price gouging. 🤷🏼

But it costs $1,700 just for the can, not including taxes, tax stamp, and trust.

Mile High is selling the Magnus for $1,600+… Might want to check on that, incase they’re price gouging. 🤷🏼
They are selling it for $1610 which is the MSRP following the "2022 inflation price increase". Price at introduction was under $1500.

They are selling it for $1610 which is the MSRP following the "2022 inflation price increase". Price at introduction was under $1500.

I paid $1495 from mile high when they first hit dealers.

Not bad, considering that it's pretty "dated" technology :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Jnull
$1600 != $1700
Well, it does show $1,610 now. But it was showing $1645, $1,675, or $1,695 (almost $1,700), I can't remember exactly which one...I'm dealing with a ton of shit in my life right now. It was a month or so ago when l last checked. I wish I had took a screenshot of it. Oh well.

I think a more apt comparison would be the Magnus-HUB and Nomad-LT. Comparing a stainless can to a titanium one is a bit apples/oranges as far as use cases (for most) go. The numbers get a lot more similar when looking at those two.

Reactions: RobEmm
That specific comparison aside, I really like the Ultra 5 or Ultra 7 on a 6.5/.260 gas gun. Small enough to still be handy and doesn't add much weight

Which TBAC suppressor has the least amount of "backpressure"? Curious if there are some TBAC designs more apt to gas guns than others with this specific criteria in mind.

I know my ar15's with an Omega + 6.5mm endcap are very gassy.

Which TBAC suppressor has the least amount of "backpressure"? Curious if there are some TBAC designs more apt to gas guns than others with this specific criteria in mind.

I know my ar15's with an Omega + 6.5mm endcap are very gassy.
We don't have a way to scientifically measure this, but it is going to be the Ultra 5 and Dominus-K-SR

I'd look at the TBAC ultra 7 or 9, TBAC Magnus, Dead Air Nomad LT, and Banish 30.

The Banish 30 is a modular can that can not only be taken apart for cleaning but can be run as either a 7in or 9in can. The downside is you can only buy them through Silencer Central. It's been close to a year now but I'm still waiting on a Banish 30 now.

The TBAC Ultra 7 or 9 are always top rated cans for their size and I don't think you can ever go wrong with a TBAC suppressor. They also have a brand new one out called the TBAC Magnus that if you don't mind its size will be pretty badazz.

Dead Air Nomad LT is another outstanding can that is extremely good too.

Reactions: Vinnie45ACP
DOM SR is very hard to beat for all all around can. It would be my 1st 2nd and 3rd choice.
This. Like I stated in another thread, very good all-round can. Light and tough. Run it on my 10.3+ 5.56 and .308 gas guns, as well as on my 6mm bolt gun too (at least until the magnus comes in)

No, get something better than the Ultra series...

Or

Both are damn-near identical to the ears. The PEW Science rankings that these are their 2 quietest .30 caliber rifle cans. I happen to have both, and can concur with their findings.
I don't see a rating for the Nomad-LTi on pew science. The only one I see is for the standard Nomad L. In the first part of the review for the Nomad-L, this is also stated.

"Note that the Nomad-L is also offered in a titanium version (the Nomad-LT). While similar, the sound signatures of the Nomad-L and Nomad-LT are not identical; the Nomad-L exhibits slightly higher sound signature suppression performance on this platform, in accordance with PEW Science testing and analysis."