• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Suppressor sharing with .308 bolt and AR

Tanman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2009
Richmond, VA
Is that a bad idea? If not, what is a good solution as far as mounts that will fit both guns and the same suppressor? It's a 700 PSS and a 14.5 in. midlength gas WOA barrel on the AR.

Re: Suppressor sharing with .308 bolt and AR

YHM .308 can with their screw on mounts lets you run the same suppressor on your .308 and 5.56, and will even work on 6.8spc too.

I have used my Shark on 308 and 260 bolt guns, and AR10 and 15's, I witnessed CKA shoot a 3 inch group on steel at 600 yards with my Shark on his AR10, ChadTRG42 knock down a LaRue at Rifles Only with his 260 bolt, niether of them made any adjustments, zero POI change, on AR15s it's pretty quiet, on par with a HALO, I wish it was full auto rated!

Do you need a QD can? If both rifles have the same threads, you don't necessarily need mounts.

That said, for gas guns, I usually recommend QD. Virtually every major manufacturer offers a QD .308 can that can swap quickly between different rifles as long as they have a mount installed. I'm partial to the AAC 762-SD, but Gemtech also has the HVT and is coming out with a QD Sandstorm called the Quicksand.

I use my 308 Gemtech HVT on 308, 6.8 and 223 all with a QD. I use the suppressor on bolt guns and semi's all the time. The suppressor doesn't care what it is on it just does its job. Just a FYI though, the gas guns will get really dirty shooting a can on them. Just be forewarned that you get to clean a little more.

I'm partial to the 762SD... I've owned other .308 cans, and no longer do.

My opinion is either wait for the Quicksand (the Sandstorm is a great can), or get the 762SD from AAC.

I don't think you'll be disappointed in the 762SD can, I'm not and sold my HVT and Surefire cans when I got it and bought a second... and it is almost half the cost of the quicksand.

Semper Fidelis

Yeah, I was leaning towards a QD can, I just wasn't clear on the thread size affecting which mount I get. My .308 barrel isn't threaded yet, but I didn't know if I have to (or can) get it threaded the same size as my AR barrel. I am aware of the mounts having to be the same though. So far the mounts I was looking at (that use cans I've read good stuff about) are Ops Inc., and AAC (Brakeout probably). I don't mind the YHM mounts, but I've heard their cans are a little louder than most (but more affordable).
What QD mounting options are there for Gemtech and Shark?

Duh, just answered that last question myself. Just checked the Gemtech website and saw the phantom style bi-lock that will fit 1/2x28 threads. I guess no QD for the shark stuff though?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tan Man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is that a bad idea? If not, what is a good solution as far as mounts that will fit both guns and the same suppressor? It's a 700 PSS and a 14.5 in. midlength gas WOA barrel on the AR. </div></div>

It's not necessarily a bad idea. Depends on the intended purpose.

When I had my 16.1" 5.56mm LMT MRP barrel profiled and collared for my <span style="font-weight: bold">.30cal OPS 3rd model</span>, it was more for "sh*ts-n-giggles," general range fun and, maybe at some point, plinkin' on ground hogs.

The OPS 3rd is a can otherwise dedicated to bolt guns: for me, that's two 308s, one 30.06 and one .223.

But for hearing-safe suppression, it works fine on the 5.56mm MRP.

Here's one pic ... See the Sig-line for another
SOS-4.jpg

cool.gif

I had the same intention with my latest purchase. I got a YHM Phantom 7.62 QD, so I swap between a 308 700P, M1A & 5.56 AR. Different mounts for each rifle accept the same supressor.

I have the same suppressor goals as you for my .308 and AR. The one I think I have finally settled on is the SAS Arbiter. I am going to have there break mounted on my .308 and there flash hiders on my AR's. It is in my opinion one of the nicest set up's. The AAC 762SD is real nice but for the price and weight saving of the titanium the SAS wins out to me.

I bought an SWR OMEGA-300 in 5/8 x 24 . I use it on my Rem.700s in .300 WM ,.308 ,.223 , and my M-4s , using an adapter . It is quieter in 7.62 than those designed for that caliber , because of the greater volume ...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cg_wilson2003</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the same suppressor goals as you for my .308 and AR. The one I think I have finally settled on is the SAS Arbiter. I am going to have there break mounted on my .308 and there flash hiders on my AR's. It is in my opinion one of the nicest set up's. The AAC 762SD is real nice but for the price and weight saving of the titanium the SAS wins out to me. </div></div>

That's the first I've heard of SAS. Looks pretty good. Instead of narrowing my choices down, I feel like I just keep adding more to the list. Oh well, I had a feeling this project might take a while anyways.

I think the first thing I have to do is pay that damn $200 tax stamp so I don't have to have my muzzle device permanently attached anymore. I guess it's gonna be bye bye FSC556, unless I go the YHM route. I thought PWS had a version with the bi-lock mount for Gemtech cans, but it must have been discontinued.

I came to the conclusion that people have very strong opinion's over one brand over another, even more so than rifle or scope preference. I took everyones opinion's under advisement and just figured what was best for my set up. Researching for suppressors really got me nowhere but confused.

If you decide on the screw on model, you could have your rifles threaded the same for the suppressor or buy an adapter to put on the AR that fits .30 cal suppressor threads.

This is pretty common latley and I have a few in the shop to do the exact thing you are needing.

The SAS Arbiter only weighs 14 oz. and has a great warranty.
You cannot go wrong with AAC either.