• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressor tax stamp cleared, but moved residence to diff state

harry_x1

Khalsa
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2019
Hi all, As a florida resident I purchased two suppressors last year and just got an email from my ffl that the tax stamps have been received. However, I also moved my residence to washington state in january this year (while awaiting tax stamps). Suppressors are legal in washington state as well. Can someone guide me, what are my options to collect these suppressors with minimal hassell? I am still carrying my florida drivers licence. Thanks !

Last edited:
What does the FL dealer say to do?
Your problem is that you still need to receive the item from a dealer that has their business in the state where you are a resident.
If you no longer have the FL address, you'll have to have the FL dealer form 3 transfer the item to a WA dealer, after which you'd have to do a form 4 transfer from that WA dealer.
Now if you did still have the FL address, you could go to FL, receive the item from the FL dealer and, while maintaining the item at your FL address, submit a 5320 to the ATF for a permanent export/change of address to WA. After the ATF responds to your request, you can take the item to your WA address.

I was looking into this before I moved and I’m pretty sure you’re fucked. If memory serves you’ll need to form 4 it back to the dealer you bought it from, have them form 3 it to a dealer near you, and then do another form 4. For you.

Should have kept your FL residency until the stamp came back and flew down to pick it up.

Now if you did still have the FL address, you could go to FL, receive the item from the FL dealer and, while maintaining the item at your FL address, submit a 5320 to the ATF for a permanent export/change of address to WA. After the ATF responds to your request, you can take the item to your WA address.

5320 isn’t required on cabs, even when moving. ATF encourages it but it’s not a requirement.

Reactions: Lunchbox27
I was looking into this before I moved and I’m pretty sure you’re fucked. If memory serves you’ll need to form 4 it back to the dealer you bought it from, have them form 3 it to a dealer near you, and then do another form 4. For you.

Should have kept your FL residency until the stamp came back and flew down to pick it up.
Yeah this is unfortunately the answer. You’d be better off selling them to a Florida resident and buying new ones in WA. You are looking at 800 dollars in transfer fees and at least another 10 months wait for new form 4 in Washington.

Yeah this is unfortunately the answer. You’d be better off selling them to a Florida resident and buying new ones in WA. You are looking at 800 dollars in transfer fees and at least another 10 months wait for new form 4 in Washington.

I’m not even certain he could sell them to a FL resident now since it’s approved. It’s got an approved form 4 to him now with a FL address, he’s now a WA resident so legally I don’t see how he could do a form 4 directly to a FL resident. His FFL may not be able to do another form 4 on it either with the approved one to him.

My money would be on having to do a form 4 back to his dealer regardless of whether they get sold in FL or transferred to WA.

I’m not even certain he could sell them to a FL resident now since it’s approved. It’s got an approved form 4 to him now with a FL address, he’s now a WA resident so legally I don’t see how he could do a form 4 directly to a FL resident. His FFL may not be able to do another form 4 on it either with the approved one to him.

This is the interesting thing about state residency. By example, when moved to Wyoming from Colorado, I was not considered a resident of WY for a hunting license until a year had passed.

Furthermore Colorado laws demanded that I relinquish your ccw when I reside in a new State but Wy would not let me apply for a CCW for 6 months. Nor could I carry under the Constitutional Carry law until I lived here 6 months.

I wrote a letter to Boulder Country Sheriffs office (were I had gotten the permit and was on a friendly, first name basis with the lady Sheriff who handled that process) . I reasoned that since WY was not going to consider me a resident for 6 months that I must still legally be a resident of Colorado during the transition. I would be keeping my permit, and using it until which time I could apply for my Wyoming ccw at six months.

Her response was basically that she could not comment on the legality of my permit for the next six months, but that she understood not to expect it for six more months. There would be no bolo 🤠

I think the FFL in FL can still cancel the F4 since it hasn’t Physically been transferred. You’ll get a $200 refund eventually maybe. If I were your FL FFL I’d send a letter to the examiner to cancel the form 4, include the approved form 4 and a new form 3 to your WA dealer and new form 4 from your WA dealer. They may knock it all out in one whack. They may even apply the tax paid to the new form 4. If the FL FFL can call and speak with the examiner they’ll probably work with them as much as they can.

5320 isn’t required on cabs, even when moving. ATF encourages it but it’s not a requirement.
Not listed under items requiring notification for "interstate movement" on form 4 instructions, but since there is no differentiation of items under "change of address" instruction, you're gonna have to do one for a permanent move.

Could be wrong but I swear I knew someone who ran into this problem years ago.

If I remember right, he took possession of it from the dealer who was holding onto it, filed whatever the ATF 'Im moving and its address of where its kept is being changed' form and then FedEx'd it to himself.

1. Set up appointment with your FFL
2. Go to Florida, make your appointment time
3. Do paperwork to get your cans, fill out the 4473 using your Fl Drivers license--dont volunteer info. A NICS check is NOT required at pickup.
4. Take it to WA
5. File a ATF 5320.20 if you want to...but most say its not required for a can

PS--BL what does your FFL want to do....and dont forget #3 above.

Reactions: Aftermath
Talk to your FFL. If you haven't changed your driver's license it's a gray area really.

It's all going to depend on what they'll do, or if they call the atf and ask for guidance.

Reactions: Bender
Lot of cans out there, they take awhile to move through the system, and people move. SilencerShop has probably seen this a dozen times. I don't know if they are a sponsor here, but I'd consider contacting them.

Best of luck. My experience with the The ATF in WV (on phone) has been positive, but I'd try SS first.

+1 to the "go get the cans, go home, do some paperwork" plan, that's exactly what I'd do. I suppose you have to ship them to yourself, but that's a breeze, no FFL required or anything.

Also to the statement that WA sucks for guns: not in my experience. "Shall issue" state for CCL, suppressors allowed for possession and hunting, and lots of public land. It's pretty awesome here.

...except it sucks, forget I said anything, you should never move here because it's awful :-D

Reactions: Aftermath
+1 to the "go get the cans, go home, do some paperwork" plan, that's exactly what I'd do. I suppose you have to ship them to yourself, but that's a breeze, no FFL required or anything.

Also to the statement that WA sucks for guns: not in my experience. "Shall issue" state for CCL, suppressors allowed for possession and hunting, and lots of public land. It's pretty awesome here.

...except it sucks, forget I said anything, you should never move here because it's awful :-D
I think people confuse WA for Seattle. They are not the same.

WA has surprisingly liberal gun laws, it is traditionally a libertarian state, except in the Puget Sound area.

SBRs, suppressors, mags, good hunting with NFA toys, shall issue, etc.

People say the same about Oregon for some odd reason.

I think people confuse the West Coast state's gun laws as California... Which sucks.

As for OP: If you already established residency in WA, you're screwed. You must Form 3 to a new dealer and start the whole process again.

A lot what people are saying on this thread is illegal. You cannot just fly to FL and LIE on a 4473 about residency and fly back with your cans. Fines and bubba time are not worth that trouble.

1. Set up appointment with your FFL
2. Go to Florida, make your appointment time
3. Do paperwork to get your cans, fill out the 4473 using your Fl Drivers license--dont volunteer info. A NICS check is NOT required at pickup.
4. Take it to WA
5. File a ATF 5320.20 if you want to...but most say its not required for a can

PS--BL what does your FFL want to do....and dont forget #3 above.
Especially #3, 16-18

This is the interesting thing about state residency. By example, when moved to Wyoming from Colorado, I was not considered a resident of WY for a hunting license until a year had passed.

Furthermore Colorado laws demanded that I relinquish your ccw when I reside in a new State but Wy would not let me apply for a CCW for 6 months. Nor could I carry under the Constitutional Carry law until I lived here 6 months.

I wrote a letter to Boulder Country Sheriffs office (were I had gotten the permit and was on a friendly, first name basis with the lady Sheriff who handled that process) . I reasoned that since WY was not going to consider me a resident for 6 months that I must still legally be a resident of Colorado during the transition. I would be keeping my permit, and using it until which time I could apply for my Wyoming ccw at six months.

Her response was basically that she could not comment on the legality of my permit for the next six months, but that she understood not to expect it for six more months. There would be no bolo 🤠
I moved to pennsylvania from Texas for work back in 2009. I remember the coolest gunshop there, it had everything. But when i got to the counter like i have done a bagillion times before, i was denied for buying a firearm. Never have i felt so helpless. I mean the food was bad, the weather was bad, the people were bad, the women were all pretty heavy, and here i was gunless. They have the same stupid wait a year before you can buy rules. I worked a few months and flew home for a weekend to retreive some iron. Back in Paradice now where i belong. Its like a law made to get criminals to prey on new arrivals instead of native state people. Like hey, your new here? Completely legal? Well, we dont want you shooting a burglar for at least a year, we recomend just furnishing your home with disposable items in the mean time.