• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Suppressor temps at high rates of fire

TimK

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2010
Woodland Park, CO
www.timkulincabinetry.com
I bought a Fluke infrared thermometers for another purpose a while back. I took it to our local tactical rifle match and used it to measure can temps at the end of a stage. I checked 4 or 5 cans. Guys were firing 50-55 rounds in 2-3 minutes. Can temps were in the 600°F - 700°F range. The winner for the day came it at 715°. IIRC, TB recommends a max of 800°F. Every one I checked had a can cover on it. The covers were starting to smoke on the really hot ones.

I'd been wondering for years if I was overcooking my cans at this match. I'm pleased to know I'm under the threshold.

I was interested to see a huge temperature gradient from front to back on one of the cans I checked. The rifle end was 300° cooler than the exit end. Kinda counterintuitive, but the Fluke doesn't lie.

50-55 rounds in 3 minutes seems like ALOT for a match. Surely not on a bolt gun?

Someone (TBAC i think) did a video and used Templaq, 2 30 round mags in under 1 min pushed the temp past 800. I will see if I can find the video.

Ir temp guns are only so accurate as Temps increase.

Should be enough info

Ir temp guns are only so accurate as Temps increase.

Should be enough info

Yep, that is video i was talking about.
I believe (could be wrong) stainless steel cans, and inconel can handle more heat, their down fall is weight.