• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Suppressor/velocity effect

lordt313

Private
Minuteman
May 27, 2007
Louisville. KY
I have no experience with a suppressor, so here goes: Does a suppressor reduce the velocity and/or accuracy of a rifle? I am considering this for a .308 with a 24in barrel.

Thanks
Taylor Lee

Re: Suppressor/velocity effect

I have noticed no difference in velocity with my rifle and suppressor (AAC Cyclone K) but the accuracy has improved maybe a .1" or so on average.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: long-shot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have noticed no difference in velocity with my rifle and suppressor (AAC Cyclone K) but the accuracy has improved maybe a .1" or so on average. </div></div>

I've seen this as well. With 22LR ammo I see a marked increase in accuracy for horizontal grouping (1/4" improvement with some ammo). Vertical stringing doesn't particularly change.

The larger bore stuff in a can improves as well but I can't put a number down like the 22's did.

My AWC gives a boost of about 70fps...info below taken from another site :

Best put by surefire: "A suppressor increases the bullet's velocity, by about 30 to 50 fps, because the extra length of the can behaves somewhat like additional barrel length. While the gas seal behind the bullet is not bore-size tight, the hole in the suppressor is only a few thousandths over bullet diameter, allowing a bit more opportunity for the propellant gases to accelerate the projectile. By comparison, an extra 5" of rifled barrel might add 200 fps to 300 fps while 5" of can will only up the velocity about 30 to 50 fps."

Unless you're using wipes (uncommon, inaccurate and perishable) or an older integral style with a ported barrel to slow down supersonic rounds (also uncommon), suppressors typically increase velocity ("freebore boost"). You may see a further increase in freebore boost as the suppressor heats up (burning propellant faster in the process). If your suppressor is slowing velocity, you should probably contact the suppressor manufacturer (assuming it's not an old design).

Neither my Surefire or SRT Shadow XL give any different velocity.

I think velocity increase is neglibe on a good can, gases are supposed to evacuate into the different chambers which should lower pressure behind the bullet dramatically.. but sure a few fps is probably possible, especially in calibers/loads who require a long barrel for maximum velocity.

I would imagine a .308 in 18" with a 4-6" suppressor would show more increase in velocity over a .308 with 26" barrel using the same load/supressor.

anywhere from 0 to 70fps I've seen. Accuracy always seems to slightly increase. POI shift varies from setup to setup.

on a .308 Win bolt action (M40) using Federal Gold Metal Match 180gr. anything over an 18 inch barrel will slow the round down. The can will add accuracy, but depending on the can, wether it is stainless or titanium, and mounting options the point of impact can change every time you remove and replace the can. The weight of the suppressor will effect the harmonics of the barrel and unless the lockup point is exactly the same every time the point of impact will change every time you remove and reattach the can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jwlig0321</div><div class="ubbcode-body">on a .308 Win bolt action (M40) using Federal Gold Metal Match 180gr. anything over an 18 inch barrel will slow the round down. The can will add accuracy, but depending on the can, wether it is stainless or titanium, and mounting options the point of impact can change every time you remove and replace the can. The weight of the suppressor will effect the harmonics of the barrel and unless the lockup point is exactly the same every time the point of impact will change every time you remove and reattach the can. </div></div>

..........really..................

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i'm going to sit on my hands........ </div></div>

Now where's the fun in that?!?!

Where do you get the 180gr Federal Gold Metal Match ammo?

I would like to try some to see how it shoots in my rifle.

Wasnt there a thread on this yesterday?

Googling "Freebore Boost" might yeild some interesting reading

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jwlig0321</div><div class="ubbcode-body">on a .308 Win bolt action (M40) using Federal Gold Metal Match 180gr. anything over an 18 inch barrel will slow the round down. The can will add accuracy, but depending on the can, wether it is stainless or titanium, and mounting options the point of impact can change every time you remove and replace the can. The weight of the suppressor will effect the harmonics of the barrel and unless the lockup point is exactly the same every time the point of impact will change every time you remove and reattach the can. </div></div>

If I heard you say this in person.... I would say your talking out of your ass and to shut your pie hole before you contaminate mankind with your utter stupidity. You have no clue what your talking about and mislead any new guy that may bump into your post.

Sit down, shut up, learn a thing or two. Maybe fire a weapon when you get a chance. Shut up, read some things, shut up. Don't pass BS info on an open forum. Shut up.
When you do all that and actually have info worth a shit to pass on, slowly, carefully... open you suck and add a bit of useful info.

Sit on your hands, eat your popcorn, sit back and watch the idiots pretend they know something, I don't care! I don't live and breath by what happens on a forum. for those of you that think I am full of shit about the ammunition I have included a picture of the box. I run quite a bit of ammo through my weapon, mostly hand loads that I have tried to come close the Hornady T.A.P 168gr which is the second best for accuracy in my rifle but much more available, but when I can afford it and when I can find it the federal gold medal match 180gr boat-tail hollow point is still the most accurate in my specific weapon. as for the velocity issue my rifle started out as a 22" barrel and with the can I was getting 2280's fps on average, after cutting the barrel down to 18" to help compensate for the length of the can I have been averaging 2340's fps. now I'm not a rocket scientist but by my calculations that makes an increase in velocity with a shorter barrel. I don't know what condition anyone else's weapons are in or how shot out the barrel may or may not be but the guy asked for people's opinions and experiences and that is what mine have been, just because you don't agree doesn't mean I am wrong. I can get three guys to swear up and down that Dodge is the best truck ever made then find three more to swear the same about Ford then Chevy. so i guess what I'm saying is get over your self, none of us are the end all know all wealth of information so stick to the info you know to be true about your gear and shut the fuck up on what you don't know about mine. Hell, at least half of you didn't think federal made the 180 grain round in the gold medal match and it has been sold for decades! 

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fgmm180</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hell, at least half of you didn't think federal made the 180 grain round in the gold medal match and it has been sold for decades! </div></div>

Holy crap, are you kidding me, you still shoot that shit?

I do remember this. The 180gr was a special run for Spec Ops trials in the early 90's (I think 1992 or 1993). It sucked for long range work which is what it was being tested for. I came across one box of it YEARS ago and it sucked. There is a reason it is not still in production.

But, come on, it most definitely has not been "made for decades". And where in the hell you get it, I really don't know.

And I think your chrono figures are backward. It just does not work like that. Did you chrono with the can at the 18" length?