• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors suppressor virgin questions

dusty1025

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2009
southwest PA
Ok my new 7.62 SAS is on its way from Randy at Mile High Shooting Accessories http://www.milehighshooting.com/

Let me preface by saying that I don't have a suppressor,I've never fired or seen a suppressed rifle fired in my presence.

I have a good smith lined up to do my threading. I'm planning on using the can on my DMPS LR-308. my 300win mag encore, my savage 30-06, and my mauser .243.

A few questions:
I've read a lot about baffle strikes, and they make me a bit nervous about destroying a fairly significant investment.
Is there any type of guide rod or other way to check alignment after installation? Any other suggestions to avoid baffle strikes?

Some have said that their only baffle strikes have come from inconsistencies in factory loads. Are there any factory loads to stay away from?

Will I have any difficulty with the action cycling when shooting subsonic loads in my gas gun?

Anyone dealt directly with SAS? Whats their warranty like? I can't find any info on their website?

Any suggested load data for subsonic .308, 300wm and 30-06 would be appreciated also.
Thanks,
Dustin

BTW Randy at Mile High is a stand up guy to deal with.

Re: suppressor virgin questions

Hi first of all if you have a good smith lined up to thread the barrels get him to do it with the can to make sure it is all OK. there is no problem with good quality ammo just stay away from the cheep crap. take your rifle out with the ammo you want to use without the can and try it if the ammo sprays everywhere dont use it use the most accurate you can use for the end use. for sub loads use a 180gr round nose projectile and start with 10gr of trail boss this should get you close you will need to adjust the charge up or down .2gr at a time to get arouns 1050fps that is what i aim for use a standard primer. test the load before you fit the can because if ti does not stabalise you will have strikes. the reason for the round nose projectiles is they can stabalise at a slower velocity you can try other projectiles but flat based hunting projectiles are a good start and around 180gr. you could try the sub loads int he 30-06 start at 12gr but not the 300 to big a case the 06 might be worth playing with you will have to see how it shoots.

I agree with what was already said above. I think you could have issues with the subs in your gas gun, most gas guns wont cycle subs, even with the can on there. All you can do it try. I would go with a 5/8 x 24 thread on all your guns since that is what most 7.62 cans are threaded in. Once you mount the suppressor, look down the bore and it should seam conentric with the can, thats not really a good way of checking, but if the thread job is really jacked up, you will see that its off.

CJG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rotortuner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Once you mount the suppressor, look down the bore and it should seam conentric with the can,</div></div>

Excellent advise. It'll be obvious if there's an issue.

You'll also want to put an adjustable gas block on the DPMS and either buy a gas buster charge handle or do the RTV trick with the factory unit.

The can shouldn't need any cleaning but the DPMS will get fillthy shooting subs.

all good advice above and I only have a little to add. I quit using my suppressor on my SASS. It just got so dirty it was a pain to clean. A gas regulator would be a great add to the rifle and I may do that in time but now I just stick to the bolt guns. As far as cleaning, you don't need to clean a centerfire suppressor. Do make sure that your gunsmith has done several and I mean several threading jobs. If it gets jacked up you will have to cut the barrel and start over. Just my two cents.

Subsonics might get stuck in a gas gun

by a tigershark Just about every part can be repaired or replaced except main tube

David

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 65mm06</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys.
What about cleaning? How and how often? </div></div>

I wouldnt worry about cleaning a centerfire rifle can. The powders burn so clean that were really isnt any fouling. It will take tens of thousands of rounds to get any real build up. Most centerfire cans cant even be taken appart. A rimfire can on the other hand is a different story...

CJG

I just took my AWC Thundertrap out today and it shot like a champ! I shot subsonics thru it as well and got a nice .75" 3 shot group. Hornady 170g FP's wth 10 grains of red dot and standard Large rifle primers has worked really well for me out of my stock remmy barrel that was cut down to 18". As for cleaning, my AWC documents say you can used denatured alcohol and warm soapy water only if needed.