• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressor vs. Muzzle Brake for PRS

I'm never going to challenge anybody but the bottom 10 shooters, so I'm going to start running my can at matches. If I'm going to train with the can on, I'm fairly certain I don't want a completely different feel and report etc. when I'm on the clock. Like @kthomas said before, I shoot for fun, not to win. I'll just keep timing out stages with my big loooooong can and save some of my hearing---and try to shoot more, suck less, and have more fun.

It's 2021 and people are still incorrectly writing muzzle break instead of muzzle brake?

I like to run the can on everything simply because of the concussion. I've read a number of articles concerning concussion and it's ability to move through fluids. Basically, you can protect your hearing with double ear pro, but the concussion from the bake moves through the fluids in your head and sinuses and can cause all kinds of problems. I shot a big 2 day last year with a hot rod ELR rig and a big brake. It MAY have helped a bit, but by the end of the second day I swear I was seeing double and had a bad head ache. Mean while, I can run hundreds of rounds through a can from 223 up through my 338's and never suffer from the same symptoms. Also, I'm one of the shooters that goes out for the fun, challenge and experience. If I ever ended up near the top, I chalk it up to a phenomenal day at the range, not a brake.

I've run cans and brakes in matches in the past, have used ThunderBeast, AAC, Area 419, APA....

I now run an Area 419 Maverick full time. I learned the hard way that concussion from muzzle brakes was contributing to chronic sinus migraines, and would often lay me out for 2-3 days after a match. A typical suppressor was not giving me enough recoil control for my tastes. The Maverick gives me all of the performance of a 419 Sidewinder or Hellfire brake but with 0 concussion in the shortest, braked configuration. If I want quiet, I can spin off the brake and add on the rest of the baffle stack in about 30 seconds.

I'm done running brakes in matches.

Reactions: MuleyTime
I know that suppressors reduce recoil somewhat, but not as much as a brake. For PRS shooting will a suppressor make it significantly harder? I want to preserve my hearing, and with a muzzle brake would be using double ears.

I know that specifics matter - which suppressor, which muzzle brake, what caliber, etc., but am hoping that there is some general information out here.

Thanks!
Here is just one perspective.

Reactions: kthomas
I know that suppressors reduce recoil somewhat, but not as much as a brake. For PRS shooting will a suppressor make it significantly harder? I want to preserve my hearing, and with a muzzle brake would be using double ears.

I know that specifics matter - which suppressor, which muzzle brake, what caliber, etc., but am hoping that there is some general information out here.

Thanks!