• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressor Zero Shift

lsu11b

Private
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2021
Ohio
Hello everyone. I am a long time lurker here and wanted to ask if anyone else has ever experienced a inconsistent zero shift when mounting a suppressor. To begin, I am shooting a bolt action .308 WIN with a 22 in. barrel (GAP #6 contour). My suppressor is a SureFire SOCOM RC2. For this rifle, my zero shift has always been minimal regardless of ammo used (approx. .25 in. to the right at 100 yards so any movement was prob me and not the rifle). As of late my zero shift has changed to 2.5 inches down and 1 inch to the right. I checked the suppressor for baffle strikes and there are none that I can see. Additionally, I mounted the suppressor on my 18 inch semi auto and the zero shift is the same at a 3 inch drop. The zero shift issue seems to be with this specific rifle. Has anyone else ever experienced something like this?

Hello everyone. I am a long time lurker here and wanted to ask if anyone else has ever experienced a inconsistent zero shift when mounting a suppressor. To begin, I am shooting a bolt action .308 WIN with a 22 in. barrel (GAP #6 contour). My suppressor is a SureFire SOCOM RC2. For this rifle, my zero shift has always been minimal regardless of ammo used (approx. .25 in. to the right at 100 yards so any movement was prob me and not the rifle). As of late my zero shift has changed to 2.5 inches down and 1 inch to the right. I checked the suppressor for baffle strikes and there are none that I can see. Additionally, I mounted the suppressor on my 18 inch semi auto and the zero shift is the same at a 3 inch drop. The zero shift issue seems to be with this specific rifle. Has anyone else ever experienced something like this?
When was the last time you weighed your suppressor and compared it to when it was new?

I personally weigh all my suppressors when they are new. Once it goes over a certain threshold, 2 oz, I clean them.

A Couple of Ideas for you:
Check your action screw torque.
Check your Muzzle Brake and insure that it is properly timed, torqued, and Rocksett‘d on to the barrel tenon.
Clean the interface areas of both the suppressor collet and Muzzle Brake adapter.

Regards
JHC

Last edited:
Reactions: lsu11b
I checked action screws and scope to make sure nothing was loose. Additionally, I shot suppressed, measured the change, then let the rifle cool completely and shot unsuppressed. I did this 7 times over two days. No change to my zero unsuppressed. The only change is now I’m having to account for a zero change when suppressed where I never have had to in the past with this rifle.

Check the mount for build up. The mating surfaces need to be clean so everything is repeatable
I am cleaning my can now. Some carbon build up in the locking collar but nothing extreme. I Always clean the brake on the rifle when cleaning but never thought to deep clean the suppressor since sure fire markets the SOCOM as a suppressor that needs minimal maintenance.

I am cleaning my can now. Some carbon build up in the locking collar but nothing extreme. I Always clean the brake on the rifle when cleaning but never thought to deep clean the suppressor since sure fire markets the SOCOM as a suppressor that needs minimal maintenance.
Plug it and fill with clr, it’s the best carbon eater there is

I use the rubber plugs from the ends of a tube of copper and they work great but I’ve also heard ear plugs can do.

It shouldnt need much. Ive never cleaned a centerfire can. But anywhere it mates up needs to be reasonably clean.