• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Suppressors cause immediate cartridge corrosion??

Odysseus1911

Piled higher and Deeper
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2019
Arkansas
Was shopping bulk ammo on the Wilson Combat website when I saw their claim that suppressors will cause brass-cased ammo to corrode so quickly and severely that it will be difficult to extract the cartridge within 48 hours. I don't know how else to say it. . . I'm skeptical. Seems like if this was really a thing, the armed forces would have switched entirely to nickel-plated cases or would have some strict guidance on not allowing a live round to remain in the chamber of a suppressed weapon for more than a few hours after the weapon was fired. But my first suppressor is still in jail, so what do I know?

Here's their claim and a photo posted on their site to back up the claim:
"Cartridges shown HERE were left in the chamber of a suppressed weapon for 48 hours after firing 5 previous rapid fire shots. Note the dramatic difference the corrosive effect of hot chamber ammonia has on a brass case compared to a nickel plated case. The nickel plated case extracted easily while the brass case was stuck in the chamber and was hard to extract."

3C874D36-FA8D-4F1C-9DEB-B909D88CE4BB.jpeg

So you're telling me. . . that in an otherwise clean gun with a suppressor, if I burn through 5 rounds rapid fire, and leave the sixth round chambered, that in 48 hours it's going to look like it was fished out of the lake from a boating accident years before?

Last edited:
Was shopping bulk ammo on the Wilson Combat website when I saw their claim that suppressors will cause brass-cased ammo to corrode so quickly and severely that it will be difficult to extract the cartridge within 48 hours. I don't know how else to say it. . . I'm skeptical. Seems like if this was really a thing, the armed forces would have switched entirely to nickel-plated cases or would have some strict guidance on not allowing a live round to remain in the chamber of a suppressed weapon for more than a few hours after the weapon was fired. But my first suppressor is still in jail, so what do I know?

Here's their claim and a photo posted on their site to back up the claim:
"Cartridges shown HERE were left in the chamber of a suppressed weapon for 48 hours after firing 5 previous rapid fire shots. Note the dramatic difference the corrosive effect of hot chamber ammonia has on a brass case compared to a nickel plated case. The nickel plated case extracted easily while the brass case was stuck in the chamber and was hard to extract."

View attachment 7444771

So you're telling me. . . that in an otherwise clean gun with a suppressor, if I burn through 5 rounds rapid fire, and leave the sixth round chambered, that in 48 hours it's going to look like it was fished out of the lake from a boating accident years before?

Yep. Even rounds in the mag can look like that from blow back. This is a reason why piston uppers work so well, and why you should at *least* get an adjustable gas block to minimize blowback. Also cans like the OSS will minimize blowback by design, so there is less of that going to happen. There is definitely less in bolt guns because typically extraction happens WELL after the chamber pressure is back to zero, but even then you still get a little bit.

I'm thinking the car wax I use in tumbler helps mitigate that.

None of mine come out that nasty.

9, blk, 308, 223, 45,.

I do get a filthy chamber especially if I (wet) a can for first round.

I have 20 pieces of 10mm that were fired out of a suppressed pistol I never got around to tumbling. They are corroded to shit.

So in a bolt gun, if shot and extracted immediately there’s no negative impact on the brass? I don’t leave a fired round in the chamber for days...

I read this from a post by Bill Wilson himself. He pig hunts on his ranch in North Texas and keeps a loaded AR in his UTV at all times and has had to start using nickel cases for his 300 HAM’R rounds.

So in a bolt gun, if shot and extracted immediately there’s no negative impact on the brass? I don’t leave a fired round in the chamber for days...
Correct. I have brass that is sitting, waiting to be tumbled, and while dirty, is not showing signs of corrosion. Weeks after being shot suppressed.

Reactions: USMC22
The short answer is, "it's complicated." When humidity is high, it is worse.

But yea, piston guns helps quite a bit, but you still get gas moving back through the bore, so it is still a thing.

In bolt guns, you get it, but not nearly as bad, it mostly depends on how quickly you open the action, giving that stuff still in the can a chance to seep back toward the chamber. But is isn't pressure- and heat-baked on, as with an auto.

Definitely plausible.
My 12" grendel was bad about tarnishing brass and the rounds in the mag until I got the adjustable GB tuned properly.

It's still a problem on my MK12s since no adjustable GB, but I found the best way to solve that problem is to just shoot it until the mag is empty very time 😎