• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Suppressors: What kind of questions do you get?

Adician

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2009
Jacksonville, North Carolina
I was at the range the other day, and I was shooting my AR-15 with 5.56 M4-SPR suppressor, and two guys come up to me and tell me they've called the police, and to relinquish my firearm before they must forcefully take it.

I ask them why, and laugh in their faces as the range master came over to see what had happened. Apparently, the police station called the range master (whom I knew quite well.) and asked him if the suppressor I had is legal, he's seen my paperwork and knew it was. He came over, pistol drawn, (The two guys were smart in not bringing any visible weapons to confront me) and asked the two gentlemen what they were harassing me for.

He started berating them, and telling them to mind their own business or to inform him before making rash assumptions! I quickly told the range master it was alright, and told the two guys how I had come to get the suppressor and showed them the laminated 50% size card I keep for it.

I love educating people, but demanding my rifle was definitely a no-go.:D

Re: Suppressors: What kind of questions do you get?

I think half the fun of owning one is the reaction on peoples faces when you tell them you have one. First question is always "aren't those illegal?" Then followed by, "don't you need a special license to have one?" Then the libtard questions of "why the hell do you need one for?"

My favorite question from the Call of Duty junkies is always "Doesn't that make the bullet do less damage, and make it less accurate?".

Any stories at all are great!

I would file a complaint against them, guns drawn, you not doing anything illegal, see how they like that.

Wow that whole episode was silly and uncalled for. I hope I don't stumble across people like that at ranges here in NC.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M21 Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow that whole episode was silly and uncalled for. I hope I don't stumble across people like that at ranges here in NC. </div></div>

It's fun to do, though.

It's like concealed carry, or open carry, it's fun to educate people to me. Having them freak out and waste their time to learn a valuable lesson (If you don't think something's legal, don't be a vigilante), then so be it.

i love trotting around at gun shows with my can on the end of one of my sticks.......

and i just did it last weekend at the FT Worth show with a pistol.....it was pure fun....there are soo many goobers out there , but the real nice folks always come forth and ask good questions, and get the correct answers....

you would hope that a man/woman that likes his/her freedoms in reference to firearms would be on the same page. there sure are alot of "tools" out there.

take my can off of my weapon and beat them with it and then get charged w/ agg assault w/a deadly weapon. then tell them "how you like those apples"

ok...feel better.

i have an ol' 308 jet can that has taken a lick'in and is still kick'in

I was walking back to my truck last weekend after coyote hunting and some kids where sledding in the parking lot at the trail head. They saw my rifle and asked if that was a silencer. I answered yes, then they asked if I was in the Army; as I was wearing prarrie ghost camo and driving a Nissan Pathfinder, I said sure am. when they asked what I was doing, I said there have been suicide bombers haning out in the hills (of south east Idaho) and I just shot them. they started ohhing and awhing and jib jabing about telling someone at school. I just winked at there Dad and drove off. Oh to be young and gullible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cuban Croc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">take my can off of my weapon and beat them with it and then get charged w/ agg assault w/a deadly weapon. then tell them "how you like those apples"

ok...feel better.

i have an ol' 308 jet can that has taken a lick'in and is still kick'in
</div></div>

well said.

I try not to shoot at public ranges simply because of the bullshit...although when I do I try to educate people on suppressor usage...in PA while at a range I had LEO's ask for paperwork and after showing the tax stamp I asked them to sit and shoot both a 308 and 300 Whisper suppressed...made some friends
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Malaga2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I try not to shoot at public ranges simply because of the bullshit...although when I do I try to educate people on suppressor usage...in PA while at a range I had LEO's ask for paperwork and after showing the tax stamp I asked them to sit and shoot both a 308 and 300 Whisper suppressed...made some friends
smile.gif
</div></div>

Same thing happened to me a few times, I now just shoot behind the house since most dipshits around here dont understand the whole nfa thing and want to buy it off me or ask how to make one " not legally ofcourse"

Should have seen the cops face when my dealer and i got pulled over while we were comming back from the range with 3 mp5's 2 16's and a rpk in the back of the truck along with a few bolt guns suppressed and with about 12k of ammo. I thought they were gonna call swat lmao

Whenever you get suppressor questions shout in a very loud voice "HUH? I CAN'T HEAR YOU! YOUR GUN IS TOO LOUD AND MY EARS ARE RINGING NOW!"

I stopped in to visit my Sheriff to get my Concealed Carry Permit updated and while I was there decided to ask a few questions. I am doing a Trust for my YHM Phantom but decided to check to see if he has or would sign Form 4's for NFA items anyway. (just out of curiosity since SD is VERY gun friendly)
Sheriff said "I think you need to have the ATF sign that kind of paper work. You should probably have them sign it cause they really want to know where they are at."
I have known this man for 18 years, he taught me D.A.R.E. in 5th grade, but I felt obligated to share some of my knowledge so now one else got short changed in the future. All in all, we had about a 45 min conversation and I might have even talked the local PD into getting a few suppressors.

Re: Suppressors: What kind of questions do you get

You have a silencer I think that makes you an assassin.

Well your mother has a vagina so I guess that makes her a prostitute.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adician</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My favorite question from the Call of Duty junkies is always "Doesn't that make the bullet do less damage, and make it less accurate?".

Any stories at all are great! </div></div>

Videogames aside, it does make the bullet do "less damage" and be less accurate. I am not sure if there is a noticeable difference though.

"What kind of Subsonic Loads are you using?"

I say its full power ammo.

Can I shoot your gun?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xmil91w</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adician</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My favorite question from the Call of Duty junkies is always "Doesn't that make the bullet do less damage, and make it less accurate?".

Videogames aside, it does make the bullet do "less damage" and be less accurate. I am not sure if there is a noticeable difference though. </div></div>

absolutely wrong. there is no "less damage" and cans can actually make a gun more accurate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: delta9mda</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xmil91w</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adician</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My favorite question from the Call of Duty junkies is always "Doesn't that make the bullet do less damage, and make it less accurate?".

Videogames aside, it does make the bullet do "less damage" and be less accurate. I am not sure if there is a noticeable difference though. </div></div>

absolutely wrong. there is no "less damage" and cans can actually make a gun more accurate. </div></div>

It depends. A lot of the less damage idea comes from having to use subsonic rounds. Some cans can make a gun more accurate, but generally the bullet is slowed because the gases don't expand all at once.

But anyways, I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xmil91w</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some cans can make a gun more accurate, but generally the bullet is slowed because the gases don't expand all at once.</div></div>

What kind of silencers are you using that slow down your ammo? Are you using wipes? Ported barrels? Getting baffle strikes? Since gun powder gases keep pushing a bit on the bullet as it passes through the silencer, it is not unusual for the bullet to speed up slightly.

Ranb

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 737SHARK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Can I shoot your gun?
</div></div>

#1 question by FAR!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xmil91w</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But anyways, I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time. </div></div>

Dude, I am not sure it will be the last either...

Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xmil91w</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: delta9mda</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xmil91w</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adician</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My favorite question from the Call of Duty junkies is always "Doesn't that make the bullet do less damage, and make it less accurate?".

absolutely wrong. there is no "less damage" and cans can actually make a gun more accurate. </div></div>

It depends. A lot of the less damage idea comes from having to use subsonic rounds. Some cans can make a gun more accurate, but generally the bullet is slowed because the gases don't expand all at once.

But anyways, I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.</div></div>

You don't have to use subsonic rounds. They are just quieter because you don't have the supersonic crack of the bullet. Use the google tab on your browser. Just remember only believe half what you see and none of what you hear.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xmil91w</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But anyways, I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time. </div></div>

Josh </div></div>

Yeah, I have been shooting for years, haven't used supressors a whole lot. I am more knowledgeable about other areas.

My favorite question..."is that a silencer?" I love to just stare at these geniuses like they are retarded. What else would it be? A grenade launcher?

Not lucky to have a suppresor yet, but I hate it when people that I hunt with call the rifle in my sig. line a "sniper rifle".

Ohhh, you have a sniper rifle!!

Ya just want to say, "you have got to be f'king kidding me", then you got to explain to them how you are not a "sniper", that a sniper rifle should only be called as such if an acual military sniper uses said rifle in a theater of operations.

Yea the uneducated pro-gunners.....

i get Q-what do i have to do to get a suppressor?
A-do you have money, is not cheap to have 1 of this

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xmil91w</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xmil91w</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But anyways, I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time. </div></div>

Josh </div></div>

Yeah, I have been shooting for years, haven't used supressors a whole lot. I am more knowledgeable about other areas. </div></div>
You should stick to commenting on topics that you are 100% competent to discuss. Because pretty much every thing you have said about suppressors is incorrect. Throwing out BS comments on sites like this will totally ruin any positive reputation that you should be trying to achieve.

In summary, if you are not completely sure of what you are saying, then maybe you should just be quiet and try to learn some thing instead of making an ass of your self.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M21 Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
In summary, if you are not completely sure of what you are saying, then maybe you should just be quiet and try to learn some thing instead of making an ass of your self.
wink.gif
</div></div>

i'll cheers to that

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M21 Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xmil91w</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xmil91w</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But anyways, I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time. </div></div>

Josh </div></div>

Yeah, I have been shooting for years, haven't used supressors a whole lot. I am more knowledgeable about other areas. </div></div>
You should stick to commenting on topics that you are 100% competent to discuss. Because pretty much every thing you have said about suppressors is incorrect. Throwing out BS comments on sites like this will totally ruin any positive reputation that you should be trying to achieve.

wink.gif
</div></div>

Well, it is impossible to know everything about guns. I have been shooting for years, and I learn something new every day, and learn some things that I found out later were wrong. I think even if you are knowledgeable on a topic, you won't know everything about it, and can still end up making an ass of yourself in some manner. I came here to learn things, that is why I read these forums. I don't know anything about shooting past 300m or so, or optics. You won't find me posting in those areas unless it is to ask a question.

Woah, let's keep everything friendly here, atleast it was an honest mistake.
smile.gif

I had another guy ask me how to make one today. You'd think that in a military town, people wouldn't be so eager to break firearms laws around here.

I get asked lots of questions, mostly online when I post about them.

The assholes ask/say;
Don't you know that those are illegal?
Don't you know you need a license to make one?
Why would any responsible gun owner want one of those?
Why would any civilian want one of those?
You have to be military use one.
They slow down the bullets and ruin accuracy.
They require subsonic ammo to be of any use.

The others ask;
Can you make one for me (sorry no
smile.gif
)
How well does it work?
Can I try it out?
Where can I get one?
Can you tell me how to make them?

Ranb

I forget sometimes how blessed I am not to have to go to public ranges, surrounded by idiots.

LOL... So just let me get some clarification.... u wont comment on optics or shooting past 300 meters, but you commented on suppressors effect as far as speed and damage and was way off. You say you havent used suppressors much... can you tell us what guns you have shot suppressed and the suppressor used. Just so you can throw this in your tool box, as the round passes through the suppressor, free bore boost occurs. Free bore boost speeds the round up. Suppressors sometime change accuracy (not all the time) but dealing with the harmonics of the barrel, any modification or alteration will also change the POI (point of impact). My suppressor on my SR25 made the weapon more accurate. I did however have a shift in impact when removed from the weapon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jaxson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOL... So just let me get some clarification.... u wont comment on optics or shooting past 300 meters, but you commented on suppressors effect as far as speed and damage and was way off. You say you havent used suppressors much... can you tell us what guns you have shot suppressed and the suppressor used. Just so you can throw this in your tool box, as the round passes through the suppressor, free bore boost occurs. Free bore boost speeds the round up. Suppressors sometime change accuracy (not all the time) but dealing with the harmonics of the barrel, any modification or alteration will also change the POI (point of impact). My suppressor on my SR25 made the weapon more accurate. I did however have a shift in impact when removed from the weapon. </div></div>

MP5SD, it was a rental at a shooting range. It sounded like a sewing machine.

I get that I was wrong, I don't need 15 people telling me over and over. Thanks for the information though.

Everyone is wrong at one time or another about things, so I don't see it as a big deal. I learn and move on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xmil91w</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I get that I was wrong, I don't need 15 people telling me over and over. Thanks for the information though.

Everyone is wrong at one time or another about things, so I don't see it as a big deal. I learn and move on. </div></div>
Let's see you joined Monday and have 26 posts through Thursday. Most of your posts are nonsense and you insight similar negative reactions from others on this site. You have not contributed in any positive way here at SH.

Since you did not take the hint, please listen for your own good. I think you should take a time out and just lurk for awhile, observe and learn. Being quiet some times is a virtue and you need to learn that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adician</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Woah, let's keep everything friendly here, atleast it was an honest mistake.
smile.gif

I had another guy ask me how to make one today. You'd think that in a military town, people wouldn't be so eager to break firearms laws around here. </div></div>

You do realize you can legally make a Silencer on a Form 1 correct?

Rather than write him off as a person who wants to break the law, educate them on how to go about getting the proper forms, etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M21 Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xmil91w</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I get that I was wrong, I don't need 15 people telling me over and over. Thanks for the information though.

Everyone is wrong at one time or another about things, so I don't see it as a big deal. I learn and move on. </div></div>
Let's see you joined Monday and have 26 posts through Thursday. Most of your posts are nonsense and you insight similar negative reactions from others on this site. You have not contributed in any positive way here at SH.

Since you did not take the hint, please listen for your own good. I think you should take a time out and just lurk for awhile, observe and learn. Being quiet some times is a virtue and you need to learn that. </div></div>

None of my posts were nonsense, aside from the one about supressors, apparently.

As for inciting negative reactions, I cannot control how other people respond, and that doesn't mean I am the one with a problem. There is a lot of good info here, but a few people seem to have that arrogant alpha male bullshit thing going on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott A Cousino</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adician</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Woah, let's keep everything friendly here, atleast it was an honest mistake.
smile.gif

I had another guy ask me how to make one today. You'd think that in a military town, people wouldn't be so eager to break firearms laws around here. </div></div>

You do realize you can legally make a Silencer on a Form 1 correct?

Rather than write him off as a person who wants to break the law, educate them on how to go about getting the proper forms, etc. </div></div>

Yes. I do know I can make one. My cousin has done so for a .22lr, and legally. It cost him $245 total, only $45 in materials and a rental of a lathe.

I wrote him off as a person who did not know the proper legal procedure to make one because he did not know the legal procedure to purchase one. You need not inform me about the legal ramifications and procedures of class 3 dealing. I do appreciate it though, and I mean that sincerely. Around Jacksonville(less than fifteen minutes and the host to camp Lejeune) there are primarily four types of shooters that go to Flatwoods. Those in the military(can also be any three of the civilian types), and the civilians who either reload and hunt, reload and target shoot, or barely shoot at all. The reason I use reloading as a criteria is because most who reload have a good deal of firearms experience, although it does not necessarily mean they are knowledgeable about long range shooting, or class 3 items in general.

Again, I appreciate the attempt at making others knowledgeable, but you need not worry about me informing people of a suppressors legality, as I am badgered about it enough.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ranb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I get asked lots of questions, mostly online when I post about them.

The assholes ask/say;
Don't you know that those are illegal?
Don't you know you need a license to make one?
Why would any responsible gun owner want one of those?
Why would any civilian want one of those?
You have to be military use one.
They slow down the bullets and ruin accuracy.
They require subsonic ammo to be of any use.

The others ask;
Can you make one for me (sorry no
smile.gif
)
How well does it work?
Can I try it out?
Where can I get one?
Can you tell me how to make them?

Ranb </div></div>
This is mostly the kind of thing I was originally looking for, albeit a little more descriptive. Some of these were good for a laugh. Haha.

Thanks!

ive heard suppressors can actually improve accuracy is that true? and if its true..how does it improve accuracy?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M21 Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is getting old. I hope you and xmil91w can possibly grasp this important concept.

Your friend:

http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=010955838166721108978%3Aqcbx5qqy10o&hl=en
</div></div>

Considering I can "grasp" Calculus and Organic Chemistry, that shouldn't be a big issue. We all have a lot to learn about firearms, including you. Stop with the tired, boring arrogance already.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xmil91w</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Considering I can "grasp" Calculus and Organic Chemistry, that shouldn't be a big issue. We all have a lot to learn about firearms, including you. Stop with the tired, boring arrogance already. </div></div>
Don't confuse intelligence with common sense. You need to acquire some common sense skills, like when to be quiet and just listen.

I learn some thing new every day, mostly by using the search string I gave you above. Therefore, I have less need to post and ask questions.

I think if you tried more searching, more reading and listening, you would be less apt to put your foot into your mouth. I also strongly suggest you join the on-line training here.

Please, please take these words of advice and implement them. Thanks.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: divejay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Q-what do i have to do to get a suppressor?
A-do you have money, is not cheap to have 1 of this
</div></div>

It can be cheap. I make 1-2 silencers each year and spend much more on reloading components than silencers.
smile.gif

Ranb

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i love trotting around at gun shows with my can on the end of one of my sticks....... </div></div>

I've seen them walk up and ask, "Aren’t those illegal?"