• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors suppressors while hunting

Re: suppressors while hunting

Work great! had a p-dog town that been shot at so many times you were lucky to get 4-5 rounds off before they'd stay down. Suppressed you could get 30-40 before they started staying down. KS just passed suppressed hunting laws July 1 so I do not know how big game would react. Would suspect they would have a harder time figuring where the shot was coming from, course they should never know. 1 shot 1 kill right?

TBAC-338BA is your 338 can,,,love mine

We only hunt suppressed, also have a action packed DVD coming out... my 338LM O2 Shadow Ti can is done, we'll have lots of LR Deer, Elk, and Antelope kills coming, Doug @ SRT just needs to put on a coat of cerakote and its in the mail!!!

I've been shooting coyotes for 4 years now suppressed and at distance it helps but anything closer than 200 yrds and the report still spooks em. Out beyond 200 if I get a pair in i can dump one and get another shot on the second before he figures it out....it doesn't mean I'll hit him but it gives you time.

If you haven't shot or heard a rifle suppressed it isn't movie quiet and only takes the initial boom out of the shot. Your flight noise is still very significant depending on what you are shooting.

Another thing is that once you own a suppressor you won't ever want anything less. with the exception of cleaning and the tax stamp wait time I believe they are worth every penny, and that is just my 2 cents.

I agree, suppressed hunting is the only way to go!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eznutz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been shooting coyotes for 4 years now suppressed and at distance it helps but anything closer than 200 yrds and the report still spooks em. Out beyond 200 if I get a pair in i can dump one and get another shot on the second before he figures it out....it doesn't mean I'll hit him but it gives you time.

If you haven't shot or heard a rifle suppressed it isn't movie quiet and only takes the initial boom out of the shot. Your flight noise is still very significant depending on what you are shooting.

Another thing is that once you own a suppressor you won't ever want anything less. with the exception of cleaning and the tax stamp wait time I believe they are worth every penny, and that is just my 2 cents. </div></div>

I have hunted suppressed for groundhog, deer and coyote with good success. varmit especially works well with .308 and a can. The 300 whisper subsonic and SRT 44 mag silent destroyer have taken several large game with nary a peep in the woods.

Hunting is one of the best applications for a suppressor, IMO.

This coming season will be my first hunting suppressed.

I do worry about the can being in the way, but it is so freaking awesome that I will learn to deal with it.

My 700 is quieter than a 22lr pistol with standard ammo. Best money I have spent yet!

We need to help Texas legalize suppressed hunting being that I live there at the moment...I dont understand why it was outlawed in the first place? I guess movie hype and misunderstanding from before my time...either way it needs to be changed. I can hunt varmint with it but no game animals...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: samcrenshaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anybody use suppressors for hog hunting? Or basically any type of hunting? How well do they actually work? Do animals notice the gunshot? Sorry for so many questions
- Sam </div></div>
If you can ignore how shaky this video is...it might give you an idea.
This was back before we got HD cameras with bad ass image stabilization.
While these results may not be typical...they are also not uncommon.
Notice how the doe doesn't look for the shooter when the buck is taken, and when the first shot is taken directly at her head...she just flips an ear and still doesn't know where it came from.

Suppressed hunting is the only way to go.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vE5LlYqgcys" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I have taken several pigs with a suppressed 223 bolt gun. I don't use sub rounds but hasn't been an issue. I have found that the pigs can't identify the shot but they do react to the sudden stop of the bullet when it makes impact.
grin.gif
It's a pretty loud thud. 95% of my shots are to the head, so not sure if that is from the round hitting the scull. After the first shot, they usually scatter. Some times they come back sometimes they don't. Any way you look at it, you save your hearing.

Texas only lets you shoot non game animals. I guess it helps cut down on poaching. Not a big deal for me. Just have to keep my ear pro on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wdhigh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">C bass, I might have missed it but what caliber was that?</div></div>

243wssm

I've shot quite a few deer with a suppressed 308 over the years and it's fun to watch what they do. In some cases i've had 6 to 8 deer within 100yds, I shoot one and the others will scatter back into the trees, but give them a couple of minutes and they'll be right back out.

I've also shot several at 400+ yards and have come up to them in a truck to pick them up and had bucks and does in the trees behind me when i'm loading. I had a 4x4 watch me the entire time i loaded a doe in the truck at about 20yds. Funniest thing i've ever seen.

But it's true, once you go suppressed you won't want to go unsuppressed.

xdeano

Its not about it being "not a big Deal"...Its about the fact I should be able to do it because this is America! Im in Southeast Texas and there is more poaching going than they can shake a stick at but they just use .22mags when they do...Not alot of noise really but it does what they want...Now!...Do you think that I or any other law abiding citizen that owns NFA items would risk loosing everything they care about for poaching game animals with suppressed firearms....No and this should be legalized just like with all other things like its legal for me to buy a car that goes 200mph but does that mean I should go that fast? Not at all because its illegal to speed just the same as its illegal to poach but if I use my suppressor to take game legally during hunting season whats the problem? Also a suppressed firearm launching supersonic projectiles is not a quiet affair by any means and carries considerable noise that will frighten animals easily...Ill just give it up I guess because its not easy to change something in Texas

I think you should be allowed to use them. Hell, I just wish we could own one. I live in IL, (YUK), and when I even talk about it in front of some people, they ask why do you even want one? I say because this is America.

Damn you Chicago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats funny man I have had the same argument many times about NFA items and just plain firearms for that matter...I have a Air Force buddy I go and visit in Aurora, IL and his family and friends see me as some gun toting nut cowboy or something...They just have no exposure and dont seem to care about what they are loosing. My friend also bought a handgun recently and I guess he is now scared to even have it for fear of some new law or city ordinance...anyways......

For small game hunting with rimfires you are able to disturb less of the wildlife in the area, so you can continue to hunt a much smaller area, than if you were to fire a non-suppressed rifle and spook all the game.

Crows are pretty smart and I've seen them sit for a second shot with suppressors (again rimfire).

Ditto on Doug @ SRTarms. If my Camp 45 had been my first suppressed gun...all my stuff would be from there! Suppression is addicting! Everything I get now, i'm looking at someway to hang one of my cans on it.

All my varmint/predator control work on my little farm is done suppressed, don't want my horses ending up in the fence and a $1k vet bill. I'm working up a Noveski 300 Blackout I got from a fellow hider, to run the 22ogrn sub ammo and Night vision for some rapid fire hog control work with a 30 cal can fitted.
Afewirons.jpg

Suppressor hunting is the best. I always carry my deer rifle and my .22 in the stand, both with a can. This year I had seven yard rats down on the ground when I smacked a 10 pointer. The guys in my hunting club call my gun a pop gun because that is all they hear! The pop gun is a 308.

I think suppressors were outlawed for hunting game animals in Texas as a way to make it more "sporting". Also, at one point not too long ago there were not the abundance of whitetails there are now. In east Texas, there are still some severe limitations. I hunt out west and we get to use all 5 tags and get to stick around until January to give maximum chance.

I have nothing against suppressors and plan to buy my first soon. I truly appreciate the hearing safety that comes with hunting with a suppressor. However, I would prefer for people to not use them to take multiple deer at one time which is eluded to in the posts above. This is the same reason full auto is outlawed as well.

As far as poaching goes, I agree that anyone who goes to the trouble of acquiring an NFA item would likely avoid breaking laws that might cause them to lose their freedom to own such items.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigdTexas68</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Texas only lets you shoot non game animals. I guess it helps cut down on poaching. Not a big deal for me. Just have to keep my ear pro on. </div></div>

Yeah that's Dept of Wildlife FUDD thinking for ya. Poachers are criminals, no gun zones don't exactly work for other criminals do they? Murder is still a crime. How's that worked out for society for the last several thousand years?

If someone is going to poach, they'll do it. My response to Dept of Wildlife folks is, if you're concerned about suppressors and hunting big game increasing poaching, when are you going to ban archery equipment? My crossbow is quieter than most suppressors (shooting supersonic ammo), my compound is even quieter.

Deer aren't extremely difficult to get close to, unless you're out in the open areas of the West.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mavrick10_2000</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Yeah that's Dept of Wildlife FUDD thinking for ya. Poachers are criminals, no gun zones don't exactly work for other criminals do they?
If someone is going to poach, they'll do it.
</div></div>
+1, but you have to understand, this is the fundamental thinking of the gov. in general... it needs to be fixed, plain and simple.

I'm killing hogs in crop fields, so I do whatever the landowner says. Some don't want me driving in, others want them drug off.
YHM can on a DPMS .308, adj gas block and gas buster handle. The can is "farmer friendly" for those who live on the farm. Makes for fast followup shots once the herd starts running. The night scope tips the odds pretty far in my favor. With the right equipment, anyone can do it.

pivotb.JPG

hogsb.JPG

D740 4 power. When there is sufficient moon, I can see hogs easily over a mile, but it's pretty flat where I am. Most crop circles are a half a mile wide around here. If there's no moon, I might have to use IR illumination to spot hogs on the other side. Clarity is good enough to place your shots where you want them, if the hog is unalarmed (standing still).
vamp2b.JPG

Cans are good for confusing the ani/al. Half the time they will run to you after the shot.

I wish we could hunt with Suppressors here inTexas too. It would make squirrel hunting so much more fun with my 22 can. I am not complaining though, we do have some conservative gun and hunting laws here and we are a gun friendly state. I'm thankful I live where things like NFA items are allowed and I don't have to put one of those ugly ass pistol grips on any of my AR's like you fellas in California.