• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Supressor question on a 300 ultra

Birddog67

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2012
TX
Will I have to buy two different cans ? Want on to use on a 308 bolt gun and a 300 ultra or do I need to get a bigger can for the 300 ultra ?

I have heard that YHM 7.62 brake will work on a 308 and an 300 ultra ?

Are they any good ?

Re: Supressor question on a 300 ultra

Most any sealed Stainless can will handle the RUM, youre on the edge of Ti capacity there, may have to jump up to a 338 can if you want Ti.

elite iron.

that said a prominent manufacturer told me the first consideration is bore dia. (338 bullet in a .308 wont end well). second is pressure. 300 WM runs 64000 psi, RUM is 65000 psi. i would contact a specific manufacture and see what they say. i suspsect volume plays a good bit into this as well. no idea how to calculate gas volumes of burning propellant.

again, elite iron is RUM rated from the get go. i think they certify their cans as war hammers as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Twitch2120</div><div class="ubbcode-body">elite iron.

that said a prominent manufacturer told me the first consideration is bore dia. (338 bullet in a .308 wont end well). second is pressure. 300 WM runs 64000 psi, RUM is 65000 psi. i would contact a specific manufacture and see what they say. i suspsect volume plays a good bit into this as well. no idea how to calculate gas volumes of burning propellant.

again, elite iron is RUM rated from the get go. i think they certify their cans as war hammers as well. </div></div>

Chamber pressures make no difference in the suppressor.

MUZZLE pressures is where you determine if the can is strong enough or not.

Like John said, you are on the ragged edge of a .30 cal can. Zak Smith with Thunder Beast Arms has said on here before that their 30P-1 is good for .30 cal cartridges with about 80 grains of powder. After that the .338P-1 or BA would be a better choice as it has more volume to handle the extra gas.

To get some idea of what might work with what have a look at how much powder is in the case, the bullet diameter and barrel length. Muzzle pressures are what makes a huge difference and if you're popping a 7mm bullet out of a case with a capacity of 100gr of powder you are likely going to see pressures at the muzzle that rival the .338 lapua at 12,000 psi or so. The pressure drops quick normally because the volume goes up really fast. On the other hand this is what the first part of the can is seeing. If you think you can take a RUM and pop a standard .30 cal can on it I'd think again. .308 is running about half the pressure and volume the .338 LM does. Your best bet is to talk with the manufacturer and see what they say. They have normally looked at this and figured what can be done reasonably and what it will handle ultimately. If I build a can to handle .338 Lapua mag it will handle most of the others in that range too. If I build a can for .308 I would not suggest you shoot RUM through it. The point is to make the can fit the rifle and you don't want the extra weight of a .338 can on a .308 if you don't need it. On the other hand if you want a can for your RUM it will easily handle the .308 as well.

Frank

Barrel length will make a HUGE difference. If the RUM will have a 30" barrel, you should be fine.

I'm in the same boat. I want a can that will handle 300 Rum, but one of these days I hope to get stationed out west somewhere and pick up a 338 Lapua. Consequently, I've decided to go with a 338 can and accept a little less performance on the 30 cal. I'm either going with a Thunderbeast, Elite Iron, or AAC. I have several AAC and one Elite Iron can and I've been pleased with each. I may try TB this time to see how they compare.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RUM Lover</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm in the same boat. I want a can that will handle 300 Rum, but one of these days I hope to get stationed out west somewhere and pick up a 338 Lapua. Consequently, I've decided to go with a 338 can and accept a little less performance on the 30 cal. I'm either going with a Thunderbeast, Elite Iron, or AAC. I have several AAC and one Elite Iron can and I've been pleased with each. I may try TB this time to see how they compare. </div></div>

You won't loose any performance shooting the .30 cal stuff through the .338 can. The extras size and volume of the .338 will more than likely be more affective than a regular .30 cal can.

Talking to a couple different companies, depends on volume of can barrel length and burn rate. So in short pressure at the muzzle.

Best bet whoever makes your can call them tell them the info and see what they think.

I questioned whether my 30 cal SAS Ti Arbiter would handle 300RUM pressure. I contacted the manufacturer and he said no problem. I have now shot around 100 rounds of RUM through it without problems. I will say that it heats up super quick. But works perfect. I have fired close to 1000 rounds of 243 through it plus several hundred 300WM rounds. Love that can.

Although I will admit to 1 spontaneous disassembly at a match last summer, which some of you witnessed. Since having it repaired for free, its been trouble free.

Elite iron, great product, great warranty personal service and you can use the same suppressor on both, he has many options, also they take the time to help you time the suppressor to the weapon. Feel like a friend when you talk to them. I would highly recommend them, Dave Tubb shoots them, enough said.