• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors supressor question

onajoyride

Private
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2010
Farragut, TN
I'm getting a gemtech m4-02 and I was wondering if having it bored to be able to shoot a .270 would be acceptable. I thought it wouldn't change it hardly at all since.223 to .270 is not that much difference. What are your thoughts?

Re: supressor question

It's all about the volume a can is designed to handle, not the size of the hole. Wow that sounds bad...

Im not expert but the .270 has a massive muzzle blast in comparison to a .223 so im not sure if this would work for you... perhaps you should just get a supressor made for a .270

+1 to all the previous comments, just get a .308 cal can, the caliber jump would be about the same and you wouldn't have to ruin a perfectly good can, + it would be more suitable to your blast volume.

you need the larger can, we import cans and there are some that go up to 25 can then the next step is up to 30 cal and the baffels on the smaler cans can not just be bored out to a larger hole size, we also have 223 Full auto compatable and they are not designed for any other calibre at all they need to have more capacity to work on a 308 and the 270 would cause to much pressure and blow them up if the holes were bored out. A 308 can can still be used on a 223 we have tried a few manufacturers and they are not quite as good as the 223 only can but good enough for most purposes.

Ok thanks for the hep I am new to suppressors and didnt even consider blast volume. Thanks again

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AlcoholicusRex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok then, can my YHM .30cal suppressor handle .300wim mag? </div></div>

Only if YHM says it can. Many .308 cans are not rated for magnums. The volume deal again.

YHM 7.62 Phantom is rated for any 30 cal round i do believe. Mine handles my 300WSM perfectly
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Balthasar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">YHM 7.62 Phantom is rated for any 30 cal round i do believe. Mine handles my 300WSM perfectly
smile.gif
</div></div>

+1 on the 300wsm and a YHM phantom.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: onajoyride</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm getting a gemtech m4-02 and I was wondering if having it bored to be able to shoot a .270 would be acceptable. I thought it wouldn't change it hardly at all since.223 to .270 is not that much difference. What are your thoughts? </div></div>

DO NOT alter your suppressor for another caliber. Its designed and built for a certain cal by length and internal volume.

Plus you will void your warranty.

I measured My suppressor bore, YHM 7.62 Phantom & got .40" ID. Could I safely shoot .338 through it? Also, would it suppress sound more effectively?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
DO NOT alter your suppressor for another caliber. Its designed and built for a certain cal by length and internal volume.

Plus you will void your warranty. </div></div>

Plus it requires another $200 tax to be paid.

Call YHM ask them what it's rated for, I don't know whether or not they use a tapered bore in their cans so, ask..