• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Surefire .338 Muzzlebrake question

rwest309

Private
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2007
Artesia NM
Okay I know the barrel has to be machined for the overlap portion of the Surefire .338 muzzlebrake. What I need to know is the exact od of the largest point on the brake. I am trying to figure out if I can run this on a 1-10 broughton that is 1.060 at 26 inches. I may be able to run a bit longer but I dont want it much longer than that. I also dont want the barrel od at the muzzle to be larger than the od of the rear of the brake. Asthetically speaking.

I like the looks of the SF brake and will be getting a can for this rifle eventually and would like to go with SF. I know the thread on vs quick detach issues but I think the barrel I have is going to be a bit heavy to make the install look right. Please advise.

Would the Badger FTE be a better choice? I see that Surgeon has these SF brakes on their mtu contour barrels. I think the one I have is a bit heavier than mtu. It is a broughton F class contour.

Re: Surefire .338 Muzzlebrake question

Ill measure mine when I get home from work and post you later. I know the inside dia. is somewhere around .880

Sweet

The tech service lady at SF was not super helpful. She kept telling me the barrel diameter could be no larger than .890 Im thinking she didnt get the question. Oh well, it was late on friday afternoon everybody important was probably gone.

Thanks

The Surefire is a good choice. The blast is not bad for the shooter and it works well on my 338 Lapua. I dont get off until 2 am cst.

Ill check back in the am. God I hope the SF brake will work.

Yes it does. That is the od of the largest point in the rear? What is the general OD of the majority of the brake?

That should work perfectly. I doubt the naked eye will be able to tell 1.060 from 1.020. I can also leave it a tad longer than 26 and get a bit narrower at the muzzle. Hell the shank is so long I could take some length off there as well.

Thanks that solves it for me.

I appreciate the help

I've installed two of the SF 338's. Both were on Kreiger barrels. One was a 17 HV @ 26" and the other was MTU 30" both looked fine. Surgeon web site has pics of guns with them on.

Yeah I saw the pics. The broughton F Class contour is a hoss. Supposed to be 1.0 at 31 inches. I have seen it semi-mocked up and 26-27 is where it should be finished. Freaking blank weighs almost 10 lbs

I am going to have to order the SF brake and get it on. If it doesnt look like its going to work. I need a 308 version anyway for a 260 rem so Ill either send it back / swap it out or sell it/trade it on here to get the 308 version. Again I appreciate the measurements. Here is some pics from my smith's shop

Smith's meat hook is at 26 inches.

Looks like the Surgeon action and Manners stock. One of the guns I built was on the Single shot Surgeon XL and it had a T2 Manners. His barreled action weighed 13 lbs. The hole rig w/o scope was 17 lbs.

Let me know how it shoots. Looks great

Thanks its a 1581 XL repeater surgeon mag / metal, Manners T4 Adjustable with the 1-10 F class Broughton soon to have the SF brake. Should be a shooter. I think its going to get a 12-42 NXS but I am not sure yet. Then a SF 338 can. I think If I can get one of the SF brakes in my smiths hands early this week It will be cerakoted and ready to break in pretty soon.