• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Surefire 7.62 SOCOM on 556

redroan45

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2010
Ashton, Idaho
Ready to get my next can on the way, and I was going to go with a 556 SOCOM for my LPR, but now I am thinking I may just run a 762 instead so I have a little more versatility between calibers. I know it may not be as quiet as a 556 can, but it may be worth it to run on a few more guns. Anyone tried this?

I asked Garin about this a couple weeks ago: socom762-mini vs. Socom556-rc. He made it pretty clear that the sound difference would be pretty substantial on a MK18 (which I was asking about).

On a LPR it may be less of a difference, and if you were thinking about using the 762-rc then check out Kanek's video.

I already have a 762-rc in jail, and am looking to suppress a 11.5" BCM KMR. I'm 99% sure I'm going to go with the dedicated 5.56-rc.... Although the 762-mini would be pretty sweet on a 9" 300 blackout build.

I honestly don't remember! lol. I will take them both to the range with me tomorrow & listen without ear pro and report back. I do not have a Mini yet, one of my customers is going to pick one up and I know he'll let me run it. If he does, I'll try and retake the video with them all & use an external mic.

I honestly don't remember! lol. I will take them both to the range with me tomorrow & listen without ear pro and report back. I do not have a Mini yet, one of my customers is going to pick one up and I know he'll let me run it. If he does, I'll try and retake the video with them all & use an external mic.

That would be much appreciated. I don't shoot a lot of 5.56, so I'm on the fence about a dedicated can. But did want something shorter then just using the 762-rc to run on a 11.5" BCM upper.

On a similar note, I know Surefire makes a model specific to short - barreled rifles, with a larger "bore."

Would running the 762RC on a 5.56mm 10" SBR more or less do the same thing?

On a similar note, I know Surefire makes a model specific to short - barreled rifles, with a larger "bore."

Would running the 762RC on a 5.56mm 10" SBR more or less do the same thing?

I'm not sure what the bore difference is. Maybe Garin or Chucky can shed some light. My guess is it's closer to 6.8.

Running a 7.62 suppressor is of course not going to be optimal. The SBR suppressor is designed specifically for barrels shorter than 10 inches where bullet instability is a huge concern. Running a 762RC on a 10 inch 5.56 gun is going to be louder and of course heavy. While yes you can do it you will probably not be happy with the performance. As far as the bore diameters between the two I am on the road this week so I don't have a set of calipers to measure but Garin might be able to help. I have shot the 7.62 suppressor before for customers on 5.56 rifles though so I know what it sounds like.

Reactions: SpookM14
Running a 7.62 suppressor is of course not going to be optimal. The SBR suppressor is designed specifically for barrels shorter than 10 inches where bullet instability is a huge concern. Running a 762RC on a 10 inch 5.56 gun is going to be louder and of course heavy. While yes you can do it you will probably not be happy with the performance. As far as the bore diameters between the two I am on the road this week so I don't have a set of calipers to measure but Garin might be able to help. I have shot the 7.62 suppressor before for customers on 5.56 rifles though so I know what it sounds like.

Hey, thanks!

My 5.56mm and 7.62mm SOCOMs are still in jail right now, and the wait's getting frustrating...

My socom762rc that just cleared last weekend is going to be used on my 20" .308 bolt action, 14.5" 5.56 AR, and 9" .300blk AR.
Didn't sound too bad on the 5.56 to me. Maybe next time I take it out I'll be able to get my buddy to come along who has a legacy can on his 10.3" 5.56 AR so we can compare.

At 0:55, 2:30, and 2:50 that is a 7.62RC on an 18" 223.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/V1OESu49Hi8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited: