• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing surefire adapter installation?

300sniper

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2005
Greenwood, Ca
i need to know the recommended specs for installing a surefire suppressor adapter (MB762SSAL/RE). the instructions that come with it are no help. i sent an email to surefire for clarification and due to the response i got, i don't trust them. they tried to tell me that "The MB762SSAL/RE is threaded for a 5/8-24 barrel. This indicates that the threaded portion will be 5/8 of 1 inch and there will be 24 threads within that 5/8 length." the whole 24 threads in 5/8" leads me to believe i can't trust the tech support.

i understand that the barrel needs to be less than .775" for 2.75" from the muzzle but no where does it specify thread length. depending on how the suppressor mounts, .5" to .625" of thread length could change things. i don't know how critical that length is. i think it would look better with no gap behind the adapter but from what i have heard, it is needed to mount the suppressor. if they gave a minimum length from the shoulder to the rear of the .775" diameter section, that would be much simpler in my opinion.

Re: surefire adapter installation?

You're getting the thread dimensions wrong 5/8-24 means that the diameter is 5/8", not 5/8" long, and that there are 24 threads per inch, not 24 threads in 5/8". I recommend taking it to a reputable gunsmith to ensure the installation is done properly to mitigate any chances of damage to your equipment and/or yourself.

He knows that. The person he talked to at Surefire is the one that got it wrong.

LOL Roger, oh my someone at Surefire needs to some schooling on their adapters. Thanks for straightening that out stuff.

yes, the sentence in the quotes was a direct cut and paste from the email i got from surefire's tech support.

The length of the actual threaded portion is of very little consequence since the first three or so threads do the work. The threaded portion could probably be .400" long and work fine. The shoulder will actually stop and lock things up.

What do the instructions actually say as far as thread length goes?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The length of the actual threaded portion is of very little consequence since the first three or so threads do the work. The threaded portion could probably be .400" long and work fine. The shoulder will actually stop and lock things up.

What do the instructions actually say as far as thread length goes? </div></div>

i know i could get away with a short threaded section. the problem is they give a minimum measurement from the end of the muzzle to the rear of the turned down section of the barrel. they don't give any directions or dimensions in the instructions. all they talk about is indexing it.

from their site (they don't mention any dimensions in the instructions): "first 2.75” of barrel (measured from muzzle back) clear of obstructions and no more than .775” in diameter."

from what i heard, the suppressor locks down on the rear of the adapter. i want to make sure to leave enough room for the suppressor to lock down on without having the barrel turned down to .775" any further than necessary.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PM sent </div></div>

thanks and pm returned.

Most of the times a 22lr suppressor will require the threads to be .4 inches in length where a standard A2 flash hider requires .6 inches of threads. So I would think that it would require .6 inches on thread length. And a siameter of .775 for a length of 2.75 inches from the muzzle.

after a few messages with hateca, i think i have it figured out now. i guess the surefire tech support didn't feel like helping anymore after i corrected them on the 5/8-24 thing
grin.gif